Star Citizen

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think a good blessing might be to say to someone, "may you live until Star Citizen is released as a functioning game"

*:p just jokes hey

saa044

Expert Member
The servers are crappy sometimes, but we still have fun in this game when it allows us. Luckily more fun than 30k servers.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Star Citizen has an extremely loyal player base. I would like to know how much money their avid community has pumped into the game. Close to every 'digital' spaceship sale, they held to date were sold out. Like now the Aegis Javelins was sold out within day 1. Those are $3000 ships apiece. As we know you can't have your money back.

The latest published numbers had them over $550 million raised, and apparently more 'investors' have come aboard since then which was back in March.

For a game which tries to do everything, it must better be good at most.

Every tech demo I have seen where they show something new it has already been done in another game. CIG is packing a lot into one package, and they better hope that Lumberyard moves with the times. I wouldn't be surprised to see either a partnership between CIG and AGS or AGS acquiring CIG which will pretty much be a repeat as to what happened back in the day when Roberts and co. sold Digital Anvil to MS, you know, Freelancer.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Please tell me you are joking.

Star Citizen's $3K-worth Aegis Javelin ships sell out in mere seconds
Star Citizen is celebrating Invictus Launch Week with a Free Fly event and some limited-stock sales, where $3,000 ships sold in mere seconds after going live.

A lot has been said about the dedication of Star Citizen's playerbase and the latest is just one in a long line of examples. Not that it makes it any less impressive, mind you.
Anyway, Star Citizen players were offered a limited stock of a couple of large military class ships - Aegis Idris frigate and Aegis Javelin destroyer.
As you can see from the image below, they didn't exactly sell for pennies. Aegis Javelins were selling for around $3,000 but that hasn't stopped the space-faring playerbase from pouncing on it.
If you don't want to take our word for it, feel free to check out this one-minute long clip from CaptainRichard's stream. That single minute includes the official start of Star Citizen's sale, refreshing of the page and a realisation that they've been sold out.

These specials sell better than when DCS specials are running. It is always the case, big sale, all sold out. When this game eventually launches, there will be really well-geared players out there and maybe that is exactly what CIG wants... it will make space seem more occupied. Pretty much the same as with Eve Online.

$3000 is pocket money.

Splinter

Honorary Master
It makes no sense. I think they are just "buying" their own "stock" to keep the hype going.

Put it another way. This game eventually comes out (say 2027). $85 for the launch special. And now you have to compete with $3000 ships?

Yeah right. There are games for masochists already. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, that shadows only die twice thing. Far cheaper. And far more even.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It makes no sense. I think they are just "buying" their own "stock" to keep the hype going.

Put it another way. This game eventually comes out (say 2027). $85 for the launch special. And now you have to compete with $3000 ships?

Yeah right. There are games for masochists already. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, that shadows only die twice thing. Far cheaper. And far more even.
Yeah, and you also have to maintain those ships. The one topic discussed to death is insurance,

Insurance
One major issue we’ve seen come up time and again in the past week is that of ship insurance. What does it mean, how do you get it, who is eligible and so forth. We’ve put together the following short FAQ document to try to explain the topic:

What is insurance?

Pilots in Star Citizen can purchase insurance policies for their ships, modifications and cargo. This ensures that your ship will be replaced and/or its modifications and cargo will be subsidized should you be destroyed in a fight or accident. As in real life, insurance policies must be maintained: you must pay a regular fee in galactic credits (the in-game currency) or your policy will lapse and you will not receive a payout or a ship replacement when your ship is destroyed.

Will this Insurance cost a lot?

Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship.

Some of the additional policies like upgrade or cargo insurance will be rated based on risk levels. Risk level 1 being the safest systems and risk level 5 being the most dangerous system that is insurable for cargo or upgrades. Any risk level over 5 is un-insurable. A risk 3 policy for cargo will cover you for all cargo losses in a risk 3 system or below. The higher the risk level of the policy the more it will cost. As with the base insurance this will not be crippling financially but instead be a reasonable running cost that relates to the risk / reward profile of the systems flown.

How do I get lifetime insurance?

Anyone who pledged for a copy of Star Citizen before November 26, 2012 automatically has lifetime insurance on their pledge ships; this protects the investment you made in the game in perpetuity. Anyone who pledged for a copy on or after November 26th starts with a finite insurance package for their ship. This can be anywhere from 2 months to 12 months depending on the ship and policy type. Lifetime insurance does not exist for modifications or cargo.

What happens if I don’t have insurance?

Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again.

Will ships I add to my account have lifetime insurance?

Users who registered and bought at least one ship before November 26, 2012 can purchase additional ships with lifetime insurance for the next twelve months of development. Users who registered on or after November 26, 2012 can purchase additional ships with variable length starter insurance policies ranging from two months to twelve months.

Can I trade my lifetime insurance ship?

Yes. The lifetime insurance will follow the ship hull when it is legally sold or gifted. If the ship is stolen or otherwise captured, the policy will not transfer.

Will my insurance carry over to ships I earn in the finished game?

No, and you cannot transfer insurance policies from one ship to another.
like Eve Online you may lose your 'real' investments.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Wow. This is news to me. Insurance for ships in a game that isn't even close to being released?

No, sorry, this has to be a farce. No-one could be this stupid.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All I want to play is Squadron 42 which was supposed to release in Q3 2020. This was announced last year by CIG and in March this year, they announced that the SQ42 roadmap won't be updated anymore, and with COVID-19 they can push this back as much as they want to.

Roadmap Roundup
Hi everyone,

When we first embarked on this Roadmap journey two years ago, our goal was to make communication more transparent, specific, and insightful for all of you who help make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible. While this goal remains unchanged, we’ve found that the format in which we’ve attempted to visualize our progress linearly does not match the approach we’re taking in the development of Squadron 42.

We want to be clear: progress on Squadron 42 is happening and we’re broadly happy with that progress. But we know that our roadmap is not reflecting that progress. Over time, we’ve found that the roadmap as presented does not and cannot accurately represent development on a AAA chapter-based, story-driven game like SQ42. So, we’re going back to the proverbial drawing board to explore different approaches for Squadron 42.

We’re currently considering an option where we would utilize our internal sprint-tracking process to visualize our progress. This would be a departure from the current Roadmap, but would be more in line with our internal scheduling. This new representation for progress in SQ42 would also benefit how we show progress on the PU as well. Alongside, we’ll continue to share development progress through a variety of avenues, outlined in the Calling All Devs episode below. With immediate effect, we will incorporate more Squadron 42 content into our regular Sprint Reports on ISC, Calling All Devs, AMAs (Ask Me Anything Q&As), and more. In addition to our scheduled content such as the SQ42 Monthly Report, we’re also looking forward to providing regular video check-ins with Brian Chambers and a variety of members of the Squadron 42 team.

As always, we also want to hear your suggestions and feedback. Join in on the discussion on Spectrum here.

-CIG Community Team

Notable Changes for March 13th, 2020
There are no notable changes to the Roadmap at this time. Tasks on the PU Roadmap continue to progress as we approach the PTU release of Alpha 3.9.
I don't believe there were any more updates on SQ42 than this, and I do watch their updates.

People who are invested in the title's development will know about the CIG and Crytek lawsuit which is now supposedly settled. Since nothing is known about the settlement I guess it is archived or it didn't happen. Finalisation was to be made in March and I haven't seen this being brought up again so I guess the case is dismissed. All in all, I don't see this to be the reason why the SQ42 development has been 'silenced' unless the settlement entailed SQ42's development to be grouped with Star Citizen's Lumberyard licence (which /cough, included CryEngine under licence) hence SQ42's development progress will be shown on the PU (in representation).

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Hey there fellow myBB users!

Any star citizen backers out there? I'm looking at setting up a decent Joburg group of players to arrange some events as soon as the dog-fighting beta is released, anyone out there besides me?
I backed it right at the start. One of the things I feel most foolish for in my life. Any good these days?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Wow. This is news to me. Insurance for ships in a game that isn't even close to being released?

No, sorry, this has to be a farce. No-one could be this stupid.
Insurance is still worked on, and CIG needs to announce the date, which probably is the title's launch date, as to when the insurance is activated. Insurance is also real-time so time moves when you aren't logged in. Insurance won't be expensive and will be a part to operational costs like ship repairs, rearmament, etc. Obviously insurance scales and some players will need to play the game a lot to sustain their digital inventory.

It works like Eve Online. Eve players rage quit the game in total when they lose their hard-earned ships or wasted salaries. Titan's in Eve costs around ~$4000.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I backed it right at the start. One of the things I feel most foolish for in my life. Any good these days?
What did us early backers pay, $30 which included a starter ship and SQ42? I have two copies, one I backed in 2012 and one I received with my AMD R9 280X in 2013. I see those packages are now $75.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Insurance is still worked on, and CIG needs to announce the date, which probably is the title's launch date, as to when the insurance is activated. Insurance is also real-time so time moves when you aren't logged in. Insurance won't be expensive and will be a part to operational costs like ship repairs, rearmament, etc. Obviously insurance scales and some players will need to play the game a lot to sustain their digital inventory.

It works like Eve Online. Eve players rage quit the game in total when they lose their hard-earned ships or wasted salaries. Titan's in Eve costs around ~$4000.
As little as I know, but Eve Online is almost like a full time job.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
As little as I know, but Eve Online is almost like a full time job.
Precisely, and people wanting to purchase $3000 ships in CIG should realise this. You are essentially being locked into playing one game, as much as possible.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
What did us early backers pay, $30 which included a starter ship and SQ42? I have two copies, one I backed in 2012 and one I received with my AMD R9 280X in 2013. I see those packages are now $75.
I'm the wrong person to ask. Last time I updated I saw they gave me an aquarium to decorate my ship hanger and I basically went: F*** this, waiting till I see a newsflash that the game is fully released and amazing. Truth be told. I could still drink till 4 in the morning and be at work at 9 when I backed. Now not so much anymore. I don't even really enjoy flight simulators anymore.

Bobbin

Executive Member
As pretty and large scale the game was scoped to be, by the time it launches I think it will look and play pretty average. Not even sure they're bringing RTX into it, which may be a standard thing by then.

If only they developed the game in chunks, adding more areas to the story, more systems etc... as an ongoing lore or something. Like, warp gate under construction - eta 6 months, and you could actually fly to it and build up the hype. But no, let's develop EVERYTHING in one go :/

animal531

Expert Member
All I want to play is Squadron 42 which was supposed to release in Q3 2020. This was announced last year by CIG and in March this year, they announced that the SQ42 roadmap won't be updated anymore, and with COVID-19 they can push this back as much as they want to.
Oof, I'm with you. I loved all the Wing Commander games and I think S42 could still be really good (I don't have much hope for the full SC game).

My gut says they're just going to milk this and treat it as an early access title for as long as they can.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
I'm the wrong person to ask. Last time I updated I saw they gave me an aquarium to decorate my ship hanger and I basically went: F*** this, waiting till I see a newsflash that the game is fully released and amazing. Truth be told. I could still drink till 4 in the morning and be at work at 9 when I backed. Now not so much anymore. I don't even really enjoy flight simulators anymore.
A game that took so long to release that you changed gaming genres - this is actually stupidly funny.
I used to play lots of action games, but prefer turn-based games nowadays. Easier when I need to run away at short notice to handle the kids and more relaxing as you can sit back and take it easy.