State capture inquiry begins

aleksandar

Expert Member
Yes, but 12 months and the UAE only discovered their whereabouts now? The conspiracy theorist in me says that someone wants the public attention elsewhere. The Guptas still need to be brought here, and they still need to be prosecuted, and that would not only require the NPA's and the courts’ will to do so, but also the state's will, and you can’t hold on to them, their prosecution would have to be expedited in good order.
Absolutely agree, we need distraction from $4 million.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Only four. Seems like UAE played ball with Interpol.

The original red notices were obtained in July last year, but then at some point in time, the Commission that controls Interpol's Files said that the notices were still under consideration. That seems dodgy since I remember the notices being published. That Commission, BTW, is an independent and impartial body which needs to ensure that all personal data processed by Interpol complies with the applicable rules, so somewhere, they decided that the notice required consideration. I am only saying that it seems dodgy, but there could have been an issue with the request, maybe some inaccuracies which needed to be attended to.

The latest red notice was approved in February.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am looking into this, the extradition treaty,

Last year, the United Arab Emirates' (UAE) ambassador to South Africa said an agreement between South Africa and that country on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters and extradition was signed in 2018.

The statement was issued just days after the National Prosecuting Authority's Investigating Directorate said it asked Interpol to circulate an international arrest warrant to have the Guptas deported to South Africa to stand trial for fraud and money laundering.

The ID issued arrest warrants for Gupta brothers, Atul and Rajesh, and their wives, Chetali and Arti, as well as a number of business associates.

Signed in 2018, that is what News24 reports, and we know that the arrest is realised,

JUST IN | The Ministry of Justice and Correctional Services confirms that it has received information from law enforcement authorities in the United Arab Emirates that fugitives of justice, namely, Rajesh and Atul Gupta have been arrested.

Discussions between various law enforcement agencies in the UAE and South Africa on the way forward are ongoing. The South African government will continue to co-operate with the UAE.

though the piece is a bit odd since it is the UAE who would need to continue its cooperation with us, in the case we don't cooperate then there was never a will to execute. Now that the arrests are made, it is all on the extradition treaty... to quote a old Reuters article,

South Africa to push UAE on failure to ratify extradition treaty​

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African delegation will meet officials in the United Arab Emirates to discuss why the country has not ratified an extradition treaty, South Africa said on Monday, as it tries to investigate a case of alleged influence-peddling.

The treaty, ratified by South Africa in November 2018, could help the country extradite three Indian-born brothers - Atul, Ajay and Rajesh Gupta - who are at the centre of a corruption scandal that contributed to the downfall of former president Jacob Zuma.

While at a news conference on a sentence remission targeting thousands of prisoners to help with overcrowding, also announced on Monday, Justice Minister Ronald Lamola responded to local media reports the delegation would try to secure the Gupta’s extradition while in the UAE for an anti-corruption conference.

“It’s not like we are going to Dubai with a suitcase to fetch the Guptas,” he told reporters, adding the engagements would be around the non-ratification of the treaty and that at this stage South Africa expects the UAE will cooperate.

“We don’t know (why the treaty hasn’t been ratified). That’s what we will need to establish in these meetings... why, and if there is a problem, how can we solve it.”

so is it in order now. Even without the treaty the UAE could still cooperate, and even with a treaty the UAE could choose not to cooperate, it is not like we can sanction them, however, in the case this extradition is becoming a bungled mess I would start to question this what is happening now because it would be VERY convenient in a time accusations are running high.

I can only hope that all is sound. Just mentioning it should some issues arise. Prosecuting the Guptas would make me very happy knowing that there is progress in this country.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Or maybe the $4million is the distraction.

For that to be the case, the Zuptas would have already known that the arrest was imminent. Not too long ago clarity on this arrest was still sought by our state.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Bloomberg reports (business, US section),

Gupta Brothers Accused of Defrauding South Africa Arrested in UAE​

• Atul and Rajesh Gupta held, authorities discussing way forward
  • Guptas accused of stealing from state-owned companies

Two members of the Gupta family have been arrested in the United Arab Emirates, the biggest step yet in South Africa’s fight to bring the kingpins accused of orchestrating the looting of its state companies to account.

Rajesh and Atul Gupta were detained by UAE law-enforcement authorities and discussions are taking place on the way forward, South Africa’s Justice Ministry said in a statement on Monday.

The arrests come a year after the UAE ratified an extradition treaty with South Africa. President Cyril Ramaphosa’s administration first asked the Emiratis to extradite members of the Gupta family in 2018, and Interpol placed the two brothers on its most-wanted list in February.

Ramaphosa won’t comment on the arrests, his spokesman Vincent Magwenya said by text message.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see the US is now quickly picking up on the news and reporting it. That extradition treaty better be in place and meet the criterion. In the case this extradition gets stuck in limbo we will ever remain the world's circus. We don't have a good record come to this...

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
I see the US is now quickly picking up on the news and reporting it. That extradition treaty better be in place and meet the criterion. In the case this extradition gets stuck in limbo we will ever remain the world's circus. We don't have a good record come to this...
If we can`t even lock our own Zuma up, then we sure won`t be able to lock the Guptas up.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
If we can`t even lock our own Zuma up, then we sure won`t be able to lock the Guptas up.

There are steps here. First we need to secure their extradition, then we can start to talk about the rest. I listened to the SABC a minute or so ago, and this lady highlights valuable points,

happy to see the SABC being on the ball here.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Financial Times:

Reuters:

Al Jazeera:

BBC:

I am pretty sure this is worldwide news by now, Cyril will now need to prove his word, to quote FT,

South African president Cyril Ramaphosa has pledged to clean up the state and repair damage to institutions hollowed out by graft.

Priapus

Executive Member
Financial Times:

Reuters:

Al Jazeera:

BBC:

I am pretty sure this is worldwide news by now, Cyril will now need to prove his word, to quote FT,
The world is now watching. Interesting times ahead.

I’m still surprised the Guptas could not buy their way out of this?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am not going to quote this DM article, but they have captured all of my views in one article,

well, almost all of them. I do expect shenanigans as per the usual.

Captain Slog

Expert Member
I am not going to quote this DM article, but they have captured all of my views in one article,

well, almost all of them. I do expect shenanigans as per the usual.
On face value that DM piece does seem to be accurate but one would have to wonder what the UAE authorities are going to do with them if they are not going to extradite them to SA.

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
JUST IN | Zuma issued with certificate that allows private prosecution against prosecutor Billy Downer

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in Kwazulu-Natal has issued former president Jacob Zuma with a nolle prosequi certificate after declining to prosecute Adv Billy Downer SC "due to insufficiency of evidence".

The certificate allows someone with direct interest in a case to pursue private prosecution.

News24 previously reported Zuma's lawyers had written to prosecutions boss Shamila Batohi to demand she remove Downer as the lead prosecutor in his corruption case.

"The NPA agrees with the DPP that the charges laid against Adv Downer are baseless and cannot be sustained, hence her decision not to prosecute him," NPA spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said on Tuesday.

"Adv Downer has the NPA’s full support and will continue to lead the prosecution team against Mr Zuma and Thales."

- Jenna Verster

Follow News24 for further updates
Legal expert @Fulcrum29, what the **** does this mean?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Legal expert @Fulcrum29, what the **** does this mean?

Legal expert :ROFL: It means that there is now a higher possibility that the NPA will appoint a new leading prosecutor. Zuma and co. did do the application, so there is nothing odd here. I don't see Downer continue his role with a concurrent case he is implicated in.

The only thing I am a expert at is armchairs, and I am not even good at that.