State capture inquiry begins

PrimeSteak

Executive Member
It basically means that Jacob can attempt to prosecute Billy downer privately...

It does mean he will do so and then try claim that since such an event is underway that he can't be the prosecutor.
Oh ok, so a Zuma win then?

Darn.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

“The NPA agrees with the DPP that the charges laid against Adv Downer are baseless and cannot be sustained, hence her decision not to prosecute him,” Mhaga said.

Mhaga said Downer has the NPA’s full support and will continue to lead the prosecution team against Zuma and Thales.

“Mr Zuma has the right to pursue a private prosecution and due process should be followed. Adv Downer will of course defend himself in terms of the various legal remedies available to him. The NPA will support Adv Downer in defending himself against what we consider to be an abusive private prosecution,” Mhaga said.

Mhaga said as the NPA progresses with prosecutions of corruption and other serious economic crimes, particularly against the rich and the powerful, it expects that there will be attacks against NPA staff, in an attempt to evade justice.

“We will not be deterred by such attacks. Adv Downer remains focused in ensuring that the trial against Mr Zuma and Thales resumes on August 15 2022.”

Is the NPA willing to risk this? They have other prosecutors, but we all know that Downer isn't the target. Zuma is targeting the NPA through Downer in order to discredit the state agency. It is a complicated road ahead. I don’t know how many days Zuma have to take his petition to the ConCourt, I guess 15 days, but I am unsure. They would need to act with haste against Downer to turn this into a usable Stalingrad.

For those who wish to see Zuma prosecuted, you all better hope that should this matter go to the ConCourt that it is vented by July 31st. All I know is that Koen can't allow a private prosecution against Downer as another appeal to delay the arms deal trial.

Personally, I do see the possibility that Downer might step down to allow the arms deal case to run its course without any more delay. Thales can argue that there isn’t a will to see this prosecution through… It has been long now.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
I wonder how much USD Zuma has under his mattress... even if his buddies doing this for free, it takes time from other paying clients.

sefeddt

Expert Member
R15 million was used to service the contract, the remainder of R172m was pure money pocketed. The officials involved got off literally scot free.

1 was found guilty of Lack of oversight. Got 3 months upaid (SCM Supervisor). 2 were dismissed (SCM Buyers). 3 resigned after they got suspended (Head of SCM, Supply Chain Operations Manager, and an SCM Buyer). The CFO's case is still underway (last time I checked)

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah, I call you that cause you're pretty good with legal ****, going by your posts in the thread, so...

Yeah, you're myBB Chief Justice. :ROFL:
Still a Minister for now, but at this rate he will make a very good cadre to be seconded to the position of Chief Justice in future, he is all the proof we need to show that cadre deployment isn't necessarily a bad thing.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
R15 million was used to service the contract, the remainder of R172m was pure money pocketed. The officials involved got off literally scot free.

1 was found guilty of Lack of oversight. Got 3 months upaid (SCM Supervisor). 2 were dismissed (SCM Buyers). 3 resigned after they got suspended (Head of SCM, Supply Chain Operations Manager, and an SCM Buyer). The CFO's case is still underway (last time I checked)
Do provide a source when you get a chance, so the two are the only ones who are being prosecuted?

sefeddt

Expert Member
Do provide a source when you get a chance, so the two are the only ones who are being prosecuted?
It's was listed in the tweet.

I recall first reading about it when he was outed after posting pics of his flashy cars.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Stories known about years ago are coming up:

Earlier testimony and legal wrangling:
Some developments

R13...

Honorary Master
Some developments

So Peggy survived. There was abuse of power in reviewing and withdrawing the case. And the initial witnesses were probably bought off or intimidated.

surface

Honorary Master
Some developments

This is beautiful but considering his wife acquitted, I suspect he will have bread & butter on table.
Before his arrest, the Asset Forfeiture Unit seized Shabalala’s assets, including the farm, the hotel in Pietermaritzburg, a guest house and two restaurants, said to be worth more than R5m at the time. At one stage, however, it was reported Shabalala was “broke” and Absa Bank had foreclosed on the farm to sell it to recover about R6.5m owing on the bond.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So Peggy survived. There was abuse of power in reviewing and withdrawing the case. And the initial witnesses were probably bought off or intimidated.
They will never learn that you will always come out second best when doing corrupt things with politicians.

Before his arrest, the Asset Forfeiture Unit seized Shabalala’s assets, including the farm, the hotel in Pietermaritzburg, a guest house and two restaurants, said to be worth more than R5m at the time. At one stage, however, it was reported Shabalala was “broke” and Absa Bank had foreclosed on the farm to sell it to recover about R6.5m owing on the bond.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
COMMENT: I have no doubt that President Ramaphosa does not love the media after the few weeks he has had around Phala Phala, but it's really quite petty to thank journalists in a way that doesn't really amount to a thank you at all.

- Kyle Cowan

COMMENT: The enormity of this moment should not be underestimated.

Not many democratic governments in the world would open up the entire executive, state and government to this level of scrutiny by the country's finest legal and forensic minds.

When former president Zuma initiated the commission, he did not in his wildest dreams imagine the depth and breadth to which the Commission would go to unearth the plundering of the state he, his friends the Guptas and the ANC oversaw.

President Ramaphosa should be commended for supporting and assisting the work of the Commission, even though it may finally contribute substantially to the ANC he leads losing its majority to govern South Africa.

- Adriaan Basson

Basson gatkruip.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
That's a massive report, for some reason I was expecting just one book or bundle.