State capture inquiry begins

R13...

Honorary Master
Although Hawks was quite reviled & criticised in this forum, it looks like there is one honest person in Hawks and his name is Col Kobus Roelofse.
Is he hawks or crime intelligence? Didn't read the article but listening to news reports over the past day it sounded like he is CI.

Just to add I think CI is in an even worse state than hawks as Mdluli has been running riot there long before Zuma arrived on the scene.

3WA

Executive Member
Although Hawks was quite reviled & criticised in this forum, it looks like there is one honest person in Hawks and his name is Col Kobus Roelofse.
If you look for internal consistency of thought among >1000 individual forumites, it's not going to happen.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory

surface

Executive Member
I think there should be a law to jail anyone the moment their name is mentioned in the newspapers. Then, we will feel good.

3WA

Executive Member
I think there should be a law to jail anyone the moment their name is mentioned in the newspapers. Then, we will feel good.
We can vilify Zuma, Hlaudi, Brian Molefe, Malema and others who have never been found guilty in a court of law. Why not Ranjeni? She needs to explain herself.

Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of all those who backed Zuma post Shaik-trial. To me, they're either tolerant of corruption, or else lack the faculties to distinguish right from wrong.

Their subsequent fallouts with Zuma were more about egos and snouts at the trough than about ethics. Even those Zuma-ites from ten years ago who don't have major corruption allegations (Vavi/Blade) still need to do more to show contrition - like completely withdrawing from all activism as a start.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
That was the lekker life. Lekkerder life is coming soon, courtesy of the tax payer.

Then, after that, we'll have to wait and see.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Absurd that all these cases are on ice waiting the finalization of the Zondo Commission.

All these cases? Many are protected by the proclamation,

https://www.sastatecapture.org.za/uploads/PROCLAMATION_NO_8_OF_2018.pdf (PDF)

[No evidence regarding questions and answers contemplated in subregulation (1), and no evidence regarding any fact or information that comes to light in consequence of any such questions or answers, shall be admissible in any criminal proceedings, excepts in criminal proceedings where the person concerned is charged with an offence in terms of section 6 of the Commissions Act, 1947 (Act No. 8 of 1947), or regulation 12]

A self-incriminationing answer or a statement given by a witness before the Commission shall not be admissible as evidence against that person in any criminal proceedings brought against that person instituted in any court, except in criminal proceedings where the person concerned is charged with an offence in terms of section 6 of the Commissions Act 1947 Act No. 8 of 1947
Section 6 only applies when the witnesses are proved to have lied in their testimony or was unable to answer a question (such as with Zuma's testimony) and is unable to produce any material evidence in their possession, custody or under their control. A conviction under this section... maximum 12 months imprisonment.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Why was CR blocking this?

Headline is misleading IMO. The case was lodged during the Zuma era, and the Presidency chose to continue since it raises constitutional issues. The court basically said stop wasting our time, get on with governance, until the next Zupta comes along...

Gordon_R

Executive Member
More detailed legal explanation: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-09-19-courts-vs-the-executive-constitutional-court-fails-to-provide-judiciary-with-certainty/
One must accept that the dispute regarding the firing by former president Jacob Zuma of his finance minister Pravin Gordhan and deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas was no longer a live dispute and that the merits of the Zuma decision were not decided by the High Court. However, on the face of it, the High Court judgment appears to be a significant case of judicial overreach, trenching as it does on the domain of the executive powers.

surface

Executive Member
We can vilify Zuma, Hlaudi, Brian Molefe, Malema and others who have never been found guilty in a court of law. Why not Ranjeni? She needs to explain herself.

Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of all those who backed Zuma post Shaik-trial. To me, they're either tolerant of corruption, or else lack the faculties to distinguish right from wrong.

Their subsequent fallouts with Zuma were more about egos and snouts at the trough than about ethics. Even those Zuma-ites from ten years ago who don't have major corruption allegations (Vavi/Blade) still need to do more to show contrition - like completely withdrawing from all activism as a start.
Fair enough. Zuma years have done so much damage that we suspect everyone now.

surface

Executive Member
Headline is misleading IMO. The case was lodged during the Zuma era, and the Presidency chose to continue since it raises constitutional issues. The court basically said stop wasting our time, get on with governance, until the next Zupta comes along...
Good TLDR . :thumbsup:I think I am not going to read anything on this specific topic.

surface

Executive Member
Kobus Roelofse - The Hawks investigator told the commission that among the beneficiaries of a secret service account used as a slush fund were two police ministers: the incumbent Bheki Cele and his penultimate predecessor Nathi Mthethwa.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Absurd that all these cases are on ice waiting the finalization of the Zondo Commission.

Lets hope this ANC POS gets an appropriate sentence.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Don't recall any GRAFT/corrupt ANC cadres on special leave, suspended, or dismissed.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Lets hope this ANC POS gets an appropriate sentence.

The Mduli scum kidnapped and murdered, and on bail, ......why no outcry?