Stream multimedia content from my PC to my PS3..wirelessly!

poorestguy

Hi guys, i recently bought a pc and its awesome :D , now heres the dillema. I have the PS# in my living room and all my content on the PC. I dont want a lan cable from my pc to the ps3 or use usb to transfer stuff, its too muchh effort..:). The obvious option is to have a wifi connection (stream via PS3 media server) to the PS3 BUT 1.) I do not have a wireless router 2.) I wanna do this as budget conscious as possible. I saw an option in windows 7 where you can create a virtual router using a usb wifi (http://www.connectify.me) dongle. The thing is, I am not sure which wifi dongle are capable and whether they are available in south africa..and if it actually works!? Has anyone tried this?does it work?hows the performance or should i just fork out and buy a wireless router??

Mercurious

While I am not replying to your question exactly, I have to warn you that wireless is very unreliable. You may be able to stream mp3's but when it comes to movies, even SD ones, you'll have a lot of jerky playback.

DukeofHouse

Wireless router would be best.
For now though, you can use Windows to create a ad-hoc network to connect your pc and ps3. It's a built in function in windows so there's no additional software required.
Then grab Tversity or Playstation Media Server to stream content over the network.

Knersus

Yeah, I have done this and it definitely works to a point, but I have actually decided that I want to run a proper lan cable from my router to the PS3, because wireless is just too unstable and slow for proper streaming. You can go the wireless route but you are only going to frustrate yourself. Go pick up a dirt cheap router somewhere and run cables between your PC and PS3 and you'll have lots of happiness. For bonus points, make it a gigabit router and enjoy lekker HD streaming. On wireless the movie will freeze or drop completely JUST when you reach the most critical point of the movie. It's just not worth that frustration.

luxe

Expert Member
While I am not replying to your question exactly, I have to warn you that wireless is very unreliable. You may be able to stream mp3's but when it comes to movies, even SD ones, you'll have a lot of jerky playback.

Not true.

On a normal Wireless G router, you can still stream and SD movies (i have been for over a year). The PS3 shuddering on .mp4 and HD movies is where it starts to battle. I have however heard that the new Wireless N standard wirelessly streams those no problem.

Solution: Buy a good N Spec wireless router, or cable it for the most reliable solution (and the cheapest).

gilani777

Not true.

On a normal Wireless G router, you can still stream and SD movies (i have been for over a year). The PS3 shuddering on .mp4 and HD movies is where it starts to battle. I have however heard that the new Wireless N standard wirelessly streams those no problem.

Solution: Buy a good N Spec wireless router, or cable it for the most reliable solution (and the cheapest).

The ps3 doesn't support the N spec wirless technology, so getting a better wireless solution won't work. What everyone else suggests about getting a lan cable is the best bet.

poorestguy

so get a lan connection to wireless router and have wifi between router and ps3?will that handle HD movies with no lag at all?

Brown Fox

Hi guys, i recently bought a pc and its awesome :D , now heres the dillema. I have the PS# in my living room and all my content on the PC. I dont want a lan cable from my pc to the ps3 or use usb to transfer stuff, its too muchh effort..:). The obvious option is to have a wifi connection (stream via PS3 media server) to the PS3 BUT 1.) I do not have a wireless router 2.) I wanna do this as budget conscious as possible. I saw an option in windows 7 where you can create a virtual router using a usb wifi (http://www.connectify.me) dongle. The thing is, I am not sure which wifi dongle are capable and whether they are available in south africa..and if it actually works!? Has anyone tried this?does it work?hows the performance or should i just fork out and buy a wireless router??

I use http://www.connectify.me/
Have a wireless card in my pc and this software.
works for me.

HerZeLeiD

If you have a bunch of small bitrate xvids, then go for it, good for you. For hardcore watching of high birate files like 720p and 1080p, wired is the way to go. I don't know why people always worry about one single cable going somewhere, it's not a big deal, really.

bin3

As others mentioned, I really think the cheapest and best solution is to run a cable. The level of frustration you save more than makes up for having a piece of cable running into your living room. And done well, it can look very neat and tidy.