Stroke's No Joke!

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I read that to check if a stroke is eminent ask the person to stick out their tongue. If it is flat its a good sign but if it is curled v shaped and they struggle to flatten it a possible stroke is oncoming.

*BUMP*

Obvious reasons... Educate your family about this!

Remember, time is against you if you are having a Stroke/CVA!
You need to get to hospital ASAP! That golden hour thing is serious.

Those with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (aka HYPERTENSION) are a high risk!

F.A.S.T. Letter F Face Drooping – Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven?
F.A.S.T. Letter A Arm Weakness – Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
F.A.S.T. Letter S Speech Difficulty – Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like "The sky is blue." Is the sentence repeated correctly?
F.A.S.T. Letter T Time to call 10177 or 084124 or 082911 or whatever number you do for ambulance! – If someone shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call the above numbers and get the person to the hospital immediately. Check the time so you'll know when the first symptoms appeared.

Last edited:
It's amazing how even with educating family about FAST, they still stubbornly ignore it.

End result is that my brother-in-law passed away on Tuesday after a massive secondary stroke.

Heed the advice above - a stroke is no joke.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear about your loss and yes a good necrosis because people must learn and the info herein is important.

boxerulez

Expert Member
One of my fathers best friends who now lives away from all of his old friends had a stroke on Monday. Went to state hospital in PE. by Wed still no doctor consulted him. Went home thursday... No doctor. Nurses made him comfortable and thats it.

I dont quite understand whats happening there only that his motor function is returning and his started speaking again aswell.

One of my fathers best friends who now lives away from all of his old friends had a stroke on Monday. Went to state hospital in PE. by Wed still no doctor consulted him. Went home thursday... No doctor. Nurses made him comfortable and thats it.

I dont quite understand whats happening there only that his motor function is returning and his started speaking again aswell.
This is a HUGE danger sign. Same thing happened... was sent home after the first stroke and 8 days later the massive secondary stroke occurred.

He should be under intense observation right now!!!!

Hemi300c

Honorary Master

And we going to be given a NHS by these fkers.

KingBel

Expert Member
This has been a tough Easter weekend.
My cousin (who is the same age as me, 36), had a massive stroke on Thursday night. Was declared brain dead later that same night, but eventually her organs failed on Sunday morning and she passed away. To add to the tragedy, she was busy planning the 1st birthday party for her twin boys when this happened....

OCP

Expert Member
My cousin (who is the same age as me, 36), had a massive stroke on Thursday night. Was declared brain dead later that same night, but eventually her organs failed on Sunday morning and she passed away. To add to the tragedy, she was busy planning the 1st birthday party for her twin boys when this happened....
My condolences :-(

boxerulez

Expert Member
Condolences.

If I may ask, what brought it on? Any underlying conditions?

Celine

Executive Member
hi pitbull, hubby has just had a heart op. at the top of the heart there was a hole and the blood was mixing and this is what caused the blood clot. sorry I still cannot understand the entire process of this whole thing. he is on blood thinners now. this whole process has been so stressful because the part that needed fitting to close the heart had to be ordered and there wasn't a part in SA. it took 2 weeks before this gadget got here. I swear I don't ever want to go through this again it is enough to drive a person insane.

hi pitbull, hubby has just had a heart op. at the top of the heart there was a hole and the blood was mixing and this is what caused the blood clot. sorry I still cannot understand the entire process of this whole thing. he is on blood thinners now. this whole process has been so stressful because the part that needed fitting to close the heart had to be ordered and there wasn't a part in SA. it took 2 weeks before this gadget got here. I swear I don't ever want to go through this again it is enough to drive a person insane.
Glad it's been sorted. No for the recovery. Keep strong :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/57259-Recognizing-A-Stroke

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally.
He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions :

S * Ask the individual to SMILE .
T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) (eg "It is sunny out today").
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS .

NOTE : Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.