Stroke's No Joke!

medicnick83

Paramedic
Hi all,

I see the American Stroke Association's has got a good initiative running.

It's called "Stroke's No Joke!"

Please goto the following web site and read up on all the signs and symptoms of a possible stroke.

I know the number (911) is American, but a stroke is a stroke, just read upon the final details and share the information.

http://www.powertoendstroke.org/strokesnojoke.html

Thanks guys!

medicnick83

Paramedic
For those who do not have INT access:

Stroke is a medical emergency. Know these warning signs of stroke and teach them to others.

EVERY MINUTE MATTERS. Know these warning signs of a stroke, and teach them to others.
Warning signs include sudden:

Numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
Confusion
Trouble speaking or understanding
Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Difficulty walking
Dizziness
Loss of balance or coordination
Severe headache with no known cause

In the past, doctors couldn't do much to help stroke victims. That's not true today. Now stroke doesn't have to lead to disability or death. The key is to recognize a stroke and get to the hospital immediately. The clot-dissolving drug tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) can reduce long-term disability if it's given within three hours after an ischemic stroke starts. (Ischemic strokes are caused by clots and are by far the most common type of stroke.)

Unfortunately, tPA isn't used as often as it could be because many people don't seek care quickly. Don't you make that mistake. If you or someone near you has the warning signs of a stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Has your local hospital set up the appropriate steps for treating stroke as an emergency? One way to find out is by checking the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospital Organization's (JCAHO) list of certified primary stroke centers. If your local hospital isn't currently on this list, they still may be prepared to treat stroke. Contact the emergency room administrator and ask if the hospital has acute stroke protocols that include guidelines for the use of tPA. Knowing which facilities are equipped to treat stroke can save valuable time.
Call your preferred EMS service immediately, be it ER24, Netcare 911 or Metro EMS.

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Thanx

I recently got my advanced first aid certificate & I must admit, one of the most difficult cases/injuries to identify is stroke because it can easily be misdiagnosed as something else..

DuidelikeDave

My 2Cents. Drink Cayenne pepper in cold water or buy the pills from Dischem if you can't stomach a teaspoon of Cayenne pepper every morning. This is good for preventing strokes and good for people who had them. It's works brilliantly for circulation

Alan

Honorary Master
Numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
Confusion
Trouble speaking or understanding
Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Difficulty walking
Dizziness
Loss of balance or coordination
Severe headache with no known cause
That's datura every weekend ffs

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Thanks gdiza. IMO this kind of stuff should be taught in schools. I didn't know about tpa. Thats very useful to know.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
My old man just had 3 minor strokes. No permanent damage thank god, but flipping scary nonetheless.

Doc basically told him if he doesn't stop smoking he will die. Kinda frightening!

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Very sad to report my dad had a major stroke on Friday night. He is paralysed on his right side. It was the sadest thing to see him today in that state. :(

MickeyD

RIP
My younger sister had a massive stroke about 2 years ago. She still has not fully recovered. She was only found about 7 hours after her stroke, which made matters much worse.

Which brings me to the jokers here. Piss off, it's not even remotely funny.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
My younger sister had a massive stroke about 2 years ago. She still has not fully recovered. She was only found about 7 hours after her stroke, which made matters much worse.

Which brings me to the jokers here. Piss off, it's not even remotely funny.
The idiots at the hospital left my old man from 2 am when he got there, to 12 the next day. Their excuse was that they have an issue with the medical aid company my folks are on.

Needless to say my mom is going to sue.

As for the jokes, I agree, piss off.

MickeyD

RIP
The idiots at the hospital left my old man from 2 am when he got there, to 12 the next day. Their excuse was that they have an issue with the medical aid company my folks are on.

Needless to say my mom is going to sue.

As for the jokes, I agree, piss off.
Keep the faith.

The road to recovery is long and frustrating, but you will learn to appreciate the small victories. Be very patient.

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
Really sorry to hear that Grimspoon. I didn't realise smoking and strokes were so closely related. I sincerely wish you and your family all the best...

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Really sorry to hear that Grimspoon. I didn't realise smoking and strokes were so closely related. I sincerely wish you and your family all the best...
Thanks DJ...much appreciated.

shakes1

Expert Member
Agreed, our prayers and with you all. Hang in there. Its not easy, the road is long, but be strong friends!

D3nz

Honorary Master
The problem with most people is they never think it will happen to them. My husband was bitten by a spider last Monday...broke out in a rash ...went to the doc and got an allergy injection. Tuesday morning he could not get out of bed. He could feel his arms and legs but he could not move them...was a scary few hours. What I'm trying to say is...it happened...he got better...it's over ...and we put it out of our minds. Thank you so much for reminding me...gonna start nagging him to cut down on his ciggies:)

Rands

Expert Member
My dad had a major stroke(2nd one) 3 weeks ago. Happened about 2 in the morning. Called the ambulance. They took 2 hours to arrive. Had to take him to a state hospital(no med aid).
He spent 2 weeks at the hospital. Was horrible. He didn't know anyone or where he was.
He's at home now. No major physical dmamge but his memory is still shot. Its terrible watching him ask 'whose house is this'.

MickeyD

RIP
My dad had a major stroke(2nd one) 3 weeks ago. Happened about 2 in the morning. Called the ambulance. They took 2 hours to arrive. Had to take him to a state hospital(no med aid).
He spent 2 weeks at the hospital. Was horrible. He didn't know anyone or where he was.
He's at home now. No major physical dmamge but his memory is still shot. Its terrible watching him ask 'whose house is this'.
Have patience - lots of it.

Stay strong, it's going to be tough.