Struggling to build WISP

Awad

I am trying to build a wireless network. Network in testing phase. Luckily LoC was clear between my house in Midrand to my friends house in Sandton so I tested network latency over 10Km and ping was =2 and <2. Before I go live or in production I like to know how to find out renting space on towers because I found no contact details by the most of the towers and someone the towers seems full.

I can't extend my network until I find space on towers and this is the biggest challenge for me. Can anyone help me find the right path?

regards

Awad

I don't want to apply for a licences until I have every info about this business. If I have a license and I don't know how to find space on towers then what I will do with my license? License is doesn't matter here because I am not in production. I am looking for info only. If you know how to find renting space on tower please guide the community.

paul5186

Expert Member
American tower corp rents space, otherwise local building owners.

Awad

@paul5186 Today is 2nd day and I haven't received more info from American Tower Sales representative via email. That is one of my major issues. Companies don't reply to their clients because of bad customer services and WAPA is one to these companies/org

BitCo

BitCo representative
Company Rep
I don't want to apply for a licences until I have every info about this business. If I have a license and I don't know how to find space on towers then what I will do with my license? License is doesn't matter here because I am not in production. I am looking for info only. If you know how to find renting space on tower please guide the community.

Hi Awad,

If you have a wireless link that crosses a public road you do need a license.

You can apply for this license directly from ICASA or as Chris mentioned above contact WAPA and they will be able to provide you all the info you require.

When it comes to Tower Space, American Tower Corporation will not even be able to quote you unless you can provide a valid license and various other forms of credentials

The same applies for all major tower operators like MTN, Vodacom & Telkom

Mike

eddief1

Expert Member
U going to struggle to get any pricing without a licence, be it fibre or tower space...
As an example though for a rural tower it was about 3k base cost and just over 1k per antenna.

Edit: per month :)

Last edited:

Awad

Hi Awad,

If you have a wireless link that crosses a public road you do need a license.

You can apply for this license directly from ICASA or as Chris mentioned above contact WAPA and they will be able to provide you all the info you require.

When it comes to Tower Space, American Tower Corporation will not even be able to quote you unless you can provide a valid license and various other forms of credentials

Mike

Hi Mike,

I sent an email to WAPA last week Wednesday regarding the require info but I haven't received any email response. American Tower sales person is not available on his office desk since Wednesday last week even he is not on holidays. Both WAPA and American Towers seems not willing to help and sells.

Anyway I don't want to apply for a license until I know what is the device letting cost and how to find towers. What will happen when I will get a licences and American Tower behave same as they are behaving now?

Definitely I will apply for a licence but I have only one issue how to find renting space on tower and letting price.

regards

BitCo

BitCo representative
Company Rep
Hi Awad,

No problem

Here is a little bit of info to help you.

If you want to rent tower space your costs will be around R5000 - 15000 per month in a 5 year contract

Typically you have a Base fee as you would need to deploy some sort of container on site to house the power and switching equipment and you pay for this on a MQ basis

Then each antenna you install will be between R1500 - R5000 each depending on the height and technical parameters

your build cost at a site is all dependent on what you use but most tower operators only allow carrier Ethernet equipment and that's not cheap

it typically takes 3-6 months to get access to a tower once you have completed the applications and planning process

You can PM me with Area's your are looking for and we can see if we can help you

We also have a very good agent and wholesale model you can take advantage of whereby you can sell the services without the pain of having to build and support the infrastructure :)

Mike

Awad

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your contribution which is very helpful. I am not interested in reselling/wholesaling. Can I have a space on your towers if you have your own in Midrand?

Thanks

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your contribution which is very helpful. I am not interested in reselling/wholesaling. Can I have a space on your towers if you have your own in Midrand?

Thanks

You would still need a license :p

Tman*

Expert Member
South Africa is so friendly to small businesses.

Hi, I am requesting more info on...Shht, you need a licence!

But, I only, Shht, you need a licence!

We cant even clamp down on illegal electricity connections draining the economy of more that R4billion. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about obtaining an ICASA licence before looking at viability.

Pitbull

Verboten

We cant even clamp down on illegal electricity connections draining the economy of more that R4billion. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about obtaining an ICASA licence before looking at viability.

FACT:
He will be sending signal over public roads = require a license

By LAW no one is allowed to give space on a tower unless he has a license. I fail how you see that as hindering a small business? Don't like it, take it up with the people who make the laws.

eddief1

Expert Member

I understand your frustration, We went through the exercise you going through now, trying to determine if a WISP is viable. In the end it was impossible to get info without a valid class license. We bit the bullet and got one, have not looked back. Without a license you are just the "public" and not many wholesale operators are going to provide you with the info you require, it's confidential.

Mike gave you some good info about approx price of tower space, what other info are you looking for ?

Awad

I understand your frustration, We went through the exercise you going through now, trying to determine if a WISP is viable. In the end it was impossible to get info without a valid class license. We bit the bullet and got one, have not looked back. Without a license you are just the "public" and not many wholesale operators are going to provide you with the info you require, it's confidential.

Mike gave you some good info about approx price of tower space, what other info are you looking for ?

Exactly! I don't think so that I require a licences if I just need a info. I don't want to pay 20K for the license to just gather the information. What I will do with my 20K license if I am not happy with the business running cost?

Bit slow but Mike gave me the approx price on pvt msg and now I have an idea and I am ok what info he sent me.

BitCo

BitCo representative
Company Rep
Exactly! I don't think so that I require a licences if I just need a info. I don't want to pay 20K for the license to just gather the information. What I will do with my 20K license if I am not happy with the business running cost?

Bit slow but Mike gave me the approx price on pvt msg and now I have an idea and I am ok what info he sent me.

Hi Awad,

Just shout if you need any more info?

We work closely with many small WISPS and give them the power to build your own network without having to invest in costly licensed spectrum or fibre backhauls

Look forward to working with you

Mike

dd1313

Expert Member

Any idea what the cost was please ?