Switch Owners - Is it worth it?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hi guys, been looking into getting a Switch or a Switch Lite, mostly for Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

If the Switch Lite is close enough in price to the Switch I'll just get the Switch.

I have a 4k monitor though, can I connect my Switch to that and it'll just automatically select 1080p?
I've never owned a mainline Nintendo console, but I did have a GBA and a 2DS.

Would you recommend?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Hi guys, been looking into getting a Switch or a Switch Lite, mostly for Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

If the Switch Lite is close enough in price to the Switch I'll just get the Switch.

I have a 4k monitor though, can I connect my Switch to that and it'll just automatically select 1080p?

Would you recommend?
Absolutely. It's a full blown console and portable. Zelda Breath of the Wild is something that will keep you engaged for ages too...

Bear in mind that with switch lite you can't connect a monitor or disconnect the joypads for split screen.

Hellhound105

Expert Member

Would you recommend?
Like @Daruk said, Breath of the wild is enough reason. But get the full switch then. But also the games you mentioned will make it worth it as well.
As Im typing this actually playing YuGiOh legacy of the duelist. Got Zelda Links awakening coming out on 20th September as well.
And me being someone who said Let's go Pikachu and Eevee were going to suck, I was wrong its actually quite fun.

*My opinion is very biased as I have too many games :)

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
It's worth it just for Breath of the Wild. From someone who often gets bored with games after 30+ hours, BOTW was only one of the games I finished in the last year with 100% completion. All 900 Korok seeds found and areas visited, etc. It never felt like a chore or grind like a lot of games do after playing for long.

Qrox

Expert Member
Also enjoyed Breath of the Wild on mine. Mario Odyssey was also a lot of fun.
I also have mine connected to a 4k TV. It will switch to 1080p when on your tv with the dock, and go down to 720p when in portable mode.
I really wouldn't recommend the switch lite. Too many restrictions on that.

Also can't wait for Pokemon Sword and Shield to come out for it.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Of course it's worth it, just set your performance expectations. PC or PS4/XBOX ports will look and perform significantly worse than their counterparts. There's no getting around it. You'll go from 60fps medium on Doom PS4 to ~30fps Low on Switch. Nintendo's own games always look best, sometimes perfect 60fps/1080p such as Smash Bros.

The game library is extremely good, miles better than the Wii U. Including some excellent first party titles like BOTW, MK8 Ultra, Smash Bros, Mario Maker 2, Mario Odyssey; tons of indies like Celeste, Inside, Steamworld Dig 2, Hollow Knight, Cuphead; and other stuff like Astral Chain, DQ11, Mario Rabbids 2, Octopath Traveler, Doom Eternal, Diablo 3.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Also enjoyed Breath of the Wild on mine. Mario Odyssey was also a lot of fun.
I also have mine connected to a 4k TV. It will switch to 1080p when on your tv with the dock, and go down to 720p when in portable mode.
I really wouldn't recommend the switch lite. Too many restrictions on that.

Also can't wait for Pokemon Sword and Shield to come out for it.
I also can't wait, bought the dual pack hoping I get a full game

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
What everyone here has said I concur with. The indie library and eShop also make it a must have for me. I can't recall when last I switched on my Xbox, tbh.

GreatWmR

This thread reminded me of something
does the switch have a good bowling game yet?
one at least comparable to the old WII sports resort bowling

ryu

Expert Member
Also if you into homebrew and that kinda stuff there are a lot more options that make the switch a must have.
You can also use external storage via homebrew and retroarch etc

Only issue with the above is that you have to find an early model (launch).

Solitude

Executive Member
I find gaming on the Switch very relaxing. Sometimes I just feel too tired to play on the pc and the wife is using the tv so then I play on the Switch. Also we went on a Europe trip and I played on the plane and on the bus rides. It's really great for that.

I've never used the dock so have never played on the tv.

One thing I don't like is how expensive the games are. But I suppose that's normal for consoles.

MaximusZA

I absolutely love my switch! one of the best investments I've made. The lite will not be able to display on your screen , the lite is strictly portable so if playing on your screen is important to you, you will have to go for the main console. the main console will work on you screen, i play mine on my 4k TV.

if you decide on the main console make sure you get the new revision with the better CPU and battery.

cyberghost47

Like @Daruk said, Breath of the wild is enough reason. But get the full switch then. But also the games you mentioned will make it worth it as well.
As Im typing this actually playing YuGiOh legacy of the duelist. Got Zelda Links awakening coming out on 20th September as well.
And me being someone who said Let's go Pikachu and Eevee were going to suck, I was wrong its actually quite fun.

*My opinion is very biased as I have too many games :)
Picking up YuGiOh today. Are you enjoying it?

On topic - Definitely get a switch if you are considering it.

My only advice would be to stick to mostly first party titles as I have noticed some performance issues with games that are ported. AC3 for example

konfab

Honorary Master
I bought one this year, despite being exceptionally skeptical about it when it was launched.

What impressed me the most about the Switch is how versatile a gaming platform it is. I can use the same console to play:
Breath of the Wild on my 55 inch TV
4 player madness with Mario Party
2 player Minecraft in the car with my wife during lunch time.
Pokemon Go whilst on a boring flight.

That being said I can say the following things about it:
First thing you need to do is simply come to terms that you will be playing on a device that is essentially last-gen from a graphical perspective. Going from a PC/PS4 to this is quite a shock. Detroit Become Human has scenes that are photorealistic.
Second thing is you have to get another controller set for it, the 4 player multiplayer games are an absolute hoot, especially games like Mario Party.
Third thing is to be very careful about buying games, they are f__king expensive. In keeping with the first point, you have to stick to games where the games are very well designed (like breath of the wild)

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Picking up YuGiOh today. Are you enjoying it?

On topic - Definitely get a switch if you are considering it.

My only advice would be to stick to mostly first party titles as I have noticed some performance issues with games that are ported. AC3 for example
Yeah, I enjoy YuGiOh. The only problem is the CPU cheats - There is even a deck called "cheating Exodia".
But still an awesome game.

8 Days till Links Awakening.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I have noticed some performance issues with games that are ported. AC3 for example
It all depends on the port quality. Diablo 3 has 1080p/60fps for instance. DQ11 demo looks fantastic even if it doesn't stand up next to the PS4 version. Panic Button does some of the best ports like Doom, Rocket League, and Warframe. Cuphead and Ori are both 1080p/60fps.

cyberghost47

It all depends on the port quality. Diablo 3 has 1080p/60fps for instance. DQ11 demo looks fantastic even if it doesn't stand up next to the PS4 version. Panic Button does some of the best ports like Doom, Rocket League, and Warframe. Cuphead and Ori are both 1080p/60fps.
Very true, Rocket League runs like a dream. I think for me, coming from 144hz any drops under 30fps are quite noticeable.
But like you said it depends a lot on the quality of the port and the engine the original was made on.