Switching from Android to Apple - What made you switch?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Every rom I ever downloaded had a list of what's working and known bugs.
I know, but I just got to a point where I didn't want to worry about that anymore. The only time I plug in my phone is to charge it. The whole process of using Odin was fun at the beginning and off putting later on.

I found myself using the official roms from other countries because it was out first. I didn't want to struggle with Cyanogenmod etc anymore.

But the official downloads for Samsung are getting better. The S7/S8 still gotten 2 major OS updates. But the S10 still hasn't gotten it's android 11 update, even though it already came out in September last year.

It is totally fine if you want to do this on your own. But I only I knew a few (less than 3) people that downloaded roms for their phone (out of about 200+ engineers). This is not what the normal consumer would do. And even though I could/can do it, I just don't want to bother with it anymore.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
My wife charges her Apple Watch 3 every night, but by the time she wants to work out at 4pm, it's dead.
Even my Galaxy Watch goes 2 - 3 days between charges.

I’d say she’s got a bad one. I had a 3 for two years and it never once went below at least 40 % at bedtime. The SE I replaced it with last month still has about 60 -70% charge when I take it off at night.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And so what If the phone only has 2 years warranty? iPhone still works after 4+ years with absolutely no problem and with the latest iOS and security patches. I’ve never had to use a warranty on any Apple device after 5 years of owning them. I’ve seen countless people in SA with iPhones that are older than 2 years that are in perfect condition and fully supported from a software perspective. Can’t say that for that N7000000 note thingy.

And for the pixels... a whole 3 years **shocked face** **not**. 5 and counting for my 6s
The S6 got monthly security updates from ~March 2015 - Aug 2018, then quarterly till the end of 2019 I think, but still got some patches in Jan 2020 and I think the end of last year as well when there were security issues.

Samsung does pretty well for security patches, and Android One is also pretty good for that to guarantee 3 years. Most of us move on after 2/3 years with our phones, bonus of having a cheaper device is it's cheaper to replace.

Most of Android (flagship and midrange) got a really bad rep when Android moved from software to hardware encryption requirement since it dropped compatibility with most older chipsets, you can thank Qualcomm for that. Was around S4 time I think.

I hope my 7 Plus keeps getting security updates after next month, been 3 years since release, still a pretty good phone, actually my first one where I didn't feel the need to upgrade after contract expires.

Last edited:

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Lol you just keep telling yourself that :ROFL:

Ja hey most of my underlings and junior managers openly stated that an iPhone used by a man is kinda gay, but hey - I don't judge. Perfectly happy with using it as eye candy.

Bobby01

Ja hey most of my underlings and junior managers openly stated that an iPhone used by a man is kinda gay, but hey - I don't judge. Perfectly happy with using it as eye candy.

they must be openly homophobic, uneducated and never progress past underlings and jnr managers haha

djbrendan

Expert Member
Good evening

As a lifelong Android user I'm interested to know who here switch from Android to Apple and what was the reasons behind the switch?

I'm in the same boat..Been on android for years and years. My work phone is a iPhone 6 ( but it's only calls and whatsapp, can't really take it for a decent test drive )

Due for an upgrade in a few months.. The iPhone 12 Pro has my attention. Well so does the Samsung 21 Ultra. ( I know the Samsung has an amazing screen refresh rate )

Going on +- price.

I can't really say that i've never liked my androids ( I can say LG was k4k ) But my Samsung's and Hauwei's were great. But i feel i want to try something else.. If i don't like it, fine! I'll sell it and settle the device and get a Android.

Someone said in my thread, similar thread to yours, "it is fine to try out something else. How else will you know what you like "

Can't see myself saying iPhone's are shyt if i've never had one for at least more than 6 months. Same goes for a bakkies, Ranger vs Hilux ( That's a topic on it's own :D :D )

I'm going to be honest, i want the Samsung 21 Ultra for the specs, but i want to give the iPhone 12 Pro a go. Leaning to the iPhone at this time, still, i have some research to do before i'm choosing

s0lar

Jokes aside. My reason to justify the price tag when I bought into the ecosystem. Apple devices are built for user experience first (Jobs influence). With Android the UX feels “tacked on”. User experience on the iPhone is bar none. All features come with the usual Apple “just works” TM.

Thirstycurve

I'm in the same boat..Been on android for years and years. My work phone is a iPhone 6 ( but it's only calls and whatsapp, can't really take it for a decent test drive )

Due for an upgrade in a few months.. The iPhone 12 Pro has my attention. Well so does the Samsung 21 Ultra. ( I know the Samsung has an amazing screen refresh rate )

Going on +- price.

I can't really say that i've never liked my androids ( I can say LG was k4k ) But my Samsung's and Hauwei's were great. But i feel i want to try something else.. If i don't like it, fine! I'll sell it and settle the device and get a Android.

Someone said in my thread, similar thread to yours, "it is fine to try out something else. How else will you know what you like "

Can't see myself saying iPhone's are shyt if i've never had one for at least more than 6 months. Same goes for a bakkies, Ranger vs Hilux ( That's a topic on it's own :D :D )

I'm going to be honest, i want the Samsung 21 Ultra for the specs, but i want to give the iPhone 12 Pro a go. Leaning to the iPhone at this time, still, i have some research to do before i'm choosing
This is exactly how I feel rn, looked at the iPhone 12 and then the S21 Ultra came out now I'm leaning towards that.

I also want something different from my current 3 year old Huawei.

With the Apple side I have no doubts about the phone self, I fear IOS wouldn't work for me as Android does.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
This is exactly how I feel rn, looked at the iPhone 12 and then the S21 Ultra came out now I'm leaning towards that.

I also want something different from my current 3 year old Huawei.

With the Apple side I have no doubts about the phone self, I fear IOS wouldn't work for me as Android does.
May I ask why?

Always curious to understand this.
Are there applications you need which are not available on iOS (am sure there could be, just not sure what they are)?
Or is there functionality you need in the OS which is not available on iOS.

I never try to convince anyone to use option A vs. option B, but like to learn and understand.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
May I ask why?

Always curious to understand this.
Are there applications you need which are not available on iOS (am sure there could be, just not sure what they are)?
Or is there functionality you need in the OS which is not available on iOS.

I never try to convince anyone to use option A vs. option B, but like to learn and understand.

I made the switch and when I did there was one thing that I really missed. Tasker was my most used Android app, but I think that many of the things I did Android also doesn't allow any more. This was really the only thing I had to give up.

Many people dislike that there isn't expandable storage (I was always a cloud person, so didn't really mind).
Getting photo's of your phone is also not the most pleasant thing on iOS. But atleast we can access it over usb now.

I actually thought that there wouldn't be any torrent downloader on iOS, just checked now and there seems to be. I thought that may be another one.

There are genuine reasons why people prefer Android. To each there own I guess.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
I made the switch and when I did there was one thing that I really missed. Tasker was my most used Android app, but I think that many of the things I did Android also doesn't allow any more. This was really the only thing I had to give up.

Many people dislike that there isn't expandable storage (I was always a cloud person, so didn't really mind).
Getting photo's of your phone is also not the most pleasant thing on iOS. But atleast we can access it over usb now.

I actually thought that there wouldn't be any torrent downloader on iOS, just checked now and there seems to be. I thought that may be another one.

There are genuine reasons why people prefer Android. To each there own I guess.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, everyone luckily get to decide what they want.

Was just curious since I often see in these threads Android users saying there is functionality they cannot get on iOS.

s0lar

Sync’s seamlessly to on my mac via either iCloud or usb. What does android do that is different?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Sync’s seamlessly to on my mac via either iCloud or usb. What does android do that is different?
This is what I do for personal use, but my work pc doesn't have direct internet connection and I can't install my own software on it. I can connect the phone to usb though, and I can get the photos, but it scattered over 6 folders (but this is because of syncing to iCloud) and it isn't always named the way to be at the top or bottom of the folder. I normally just email it to my work address as it is easier, but in the lab I also don't even have access to that or my lightning cable unless I purposely carried it with. Micro/mini usb cables were easily assessable there though as most dev boards etc had one of the two.

I know this is an extreme situation - and I honestly don't normally need a photo for work purposes, maybe less than twice a year. But it has popped up before . On my previous Samsung it was just like a normal flash drive when you plugged it in and navigated to photos.

s0lar

This is what I do for personal use, but my work pc doesn't have direct internet connection and I can't install my own software on it. I can connect the phone to usb though, and I can get the photos, but it scattered over 6 folders (but this is because of syncing to iCloud) and it isn't always named the way to be at the top or bottom of the folder. I normally just email it to my work address as it is easier, but in the lab I also don't even have access to that or my lightning cable unless I purposely carried it with. Micro/mini usb cables were easily assessable there though as most dev boards etc had one of the two.

I know this is an extreme situation - and I honestly don't normally need a photo for work purposes, maybe less than twice a year. But it has popped up before . On my previous Samsung it was just like a normal flash drive when you plugged it in and navigated to photos.
Apple’s full functionality comes with the eco-system. In the days before using iCloud to sync I would just airdrop the photos, scanned documents over the Wi-Fi to my Mac. iCloud is way more efficient though.

Does android have Wi-Fi printer auto discovery and direct print to a printer now days out of the box?

JohnStarr

Expert Member
moved from iOS to android and i hate it. just could not justify the price of an Apple device any more.
a month later of using android and i have decided i am willing to pay the price for the Apple device now if i can get it at a decent price.
Yes and no. They're expensive if you don't have the money to buy them outright cash.
I got an Xr even though the 11 was out. The 11 was just expensive, while I had a better offer for the Xr. The phone works really well. Best of all when I need to help my kids with my old iPhone 6 it's exactly the same interface.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Apple’s full functionality comes with the eco-system. In the days before using iCloud to sync I would just airdrop the photos, scanned documents over the Wi-Fi to my Mac. iCloud is way more efficient though.

Does android have Wi-Fi printer auto discovery and direct print to a printer now days out of the box?
I don't know that much about Android anymore, I am fully in the Apple ecosystem now, for a few years already. It is just for that few times that I have to do something on my work pc. If there was just a way to airdrop to windows that would be great. I see there are a few alternative to this - will have to look into it.