Tablet prices: FNB vs cash

Tinuva

The Magician
Yeah without the R50/month discount, the FNB smart device deals are actually far more expensive. It is only the private clients that score, that can get the monthly payment back in ebucks.

KamikazeHamster

The iPad air is R8,136 from FNB and R6,499 cash. Difference = R1,637. That's a monthly cost of just under R68.21 per month. So you're paying R270.79 a month for the device and the rest makes up the interest to get to R339.

killkom

The IPad Air prices are not accurate

FNB has the IPAD 16 Gig with Wifi and Cellular for 339 not wifi only FNB does not offer wifi only iPads

The Cash pricing for this IPAD from the store is R8499.00 so 339 X 24 months = R8139.00

You need to check your facts before writing articles

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The IPad Air prices are not accurate

FNB has the IPAD 16 Gig with Wifi and Cellular for 339 not wifi only FNB does not offer wifi only iPads

The Cash pricing for this IPAD from the store is R8499.00 so 339 X 24 months = R8139.00

Correct.

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Yeah without the R50/month discount, the FNB smart device deals are actually far more expensive. It is only the private clients that score, that can get the monthly payment back in ebucks.
Where on FNB's site do you see this discount? Does it still apply to new deals and who exactly is eligible for it?

ThatOtherGuy

How do these prices compare to what the cellular networks have to offer? Of course with them, you'll get data, minutes, etc.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Pricing needs the compulsory monthly mobile pricing included as a lot of people are on fee saver befoe they take out a device with FNB. This will slide the scale in favour of cash purchase even more!

TrueCartman

Where on FNB's site do you see this discount? Does it still apply to new deals and who exactly is eligible for it?
This is right...I have this on a Notebook I got from them . Basically you need to have other FNB products and use them. For instance I think a credit card with a 15K limit is one. And a personal loan also goes toward it and so on...Products that they make money of you...I had a tablet from them 3 years ago (or there about) and I got....I think R100 back on that because I fit all the requirements. But they changed the rules somewhere along the line so I only get 50 bucks back...

Jan

Drifting in the black
Thanks for pointing that out. I've jumped in and updated the table for accuracy.

And you were doing so well. The pricing was obviously from the FNB website, so we did "check our facts". Someone just made a mistake. We're human, it happens. The mistake has now been corrected.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Thanks for pointing that out. I've jumped in and updated the table for accuracy.

And you were doing so well. The pricing was obviously from the FNB website, so we did "check our facts". Someone just made a mistake. We're human, it happens. The mistake has now been corrected.
You know the rules..

Flowers.

Jan

Drifting in the black
You know the rules..

Flowers.
I never heard from Morning Live again :crying:. I think I might be bad at picking out flowers on the Internet. (Netflorist says they were definitely delivered, though.)

kianm

Honorary Master
Just save and buy cash guys. Patience is needed as well no need to rush and sign contracts even these so called zero interest contracts that come with a catch. Cash is KING!

cozinsky

Expert Member
Just save and buy cash guys. Patience is needed as well no need to rush and sign contracts even these so called zero interest contracts that come with a catch. Cash is KING!
Not everyone can afford to pay these high cash prices. That is the beauty of FNB. It allows you to pay it off over 24 months interest free and the device is cheaper in some instances (like the iPad). This allows more people to get their hands on technology which is a great incentive from FNB.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
"How can we help you" - is that how to spend more of your own money to help you help the bank?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I looked a TV they had versus buying it on my credit card budget over 24 months with interest - and it was still cheaper on the credit card.

Their Apple prices are good though

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Not everyone can afford to pay these high cash prices. That is the beauty of FNB. It allows you to pay it off over 24 months interest free and the device is cheaper in some instances (like the iPad). This allows more people to get their hands on technology which is a great incentive from FNB.
yet that mentality creates a norm with most people to buy stuff on credit. And now we sit with, what the smart people call, a recession.

Simple rule of debt management, if you can't afford it, save for it. Don't buy on credit, or even worse, on budget!

zamicro

Expert Member
I always thought that the devices from FNB are expensive. Now I know.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Er, obviously buying cash is going to work out cheaper over-all than buying over 24 months. The question is, is it cheaper enough to make it worthwhile shelling out the cash upfront?
Personally, I think buying cash is always better, however, the cellular companies worldwide have proven that most people disagree. (Hence buying R 10 000+ cell phones on contract, etc.)
A good comparison would be - how does FNB's contract prices compare to Vodacom et al? Especially considering you don't get data etc. bundled in. Although there are usually extra discounts with FNB which would apply to many buyers as well.