Telkom 1TB Feedback Thread

netstrider

Expert Member
General feedback thread for the Telkom 1TB R999 pm deal or R1069 contract deal for those brave enough to go for it.

1. So I ordered the sim-only deal after 4PM on Wednesday 16 Sept.
  2. Pre-approved within minutes.
  3. On Monday I was informed that the SIM was handed over to the courier, with no tracking number.
  4. Received the SIM fairly late afternoon on Tuesday 22 Sept (today).
  5. Not entirely sure how long the activation took because when I got home at 16:30 things were working although it wasn't working within the first 30 mins or so.
  6. Initial speed test on phone below - awaiting B818 router which should arrive tomorrow.

telkom1800_2300mhzlte.jpeg

Don't have the PC speedtest from the hotspot at the moment but it was around 22Mbps - exactly the same connection, and about 54ms ping. Suspect the old S9 doesn't cope so well with the task. Will provide further feedback once the router has arrived.

Current issue: Cannot register the SIM under my name at https://apps.telkom.co.za/access-manager/protected/view/mytelkom as it says mobile number does not correspond to ID number. Hoping to get the time tomorrow or on Friday to give them a call if the issue doesn't resolve itself. There's a field for contract number or such which I had left out which may be necessary so I'll see if I can find that and try again.

The office, literally 100m from me is also getting this deal but we've both used Telkom in the past so hopefully not too many others join up here and the speeds stay relatively good.

Add your speeds and latencies here for the good of the community.

EDIT: Also tried the Telkom sim in my MTN Mifi ZTE router, but it is network locked and requires unlock code so didn't proceed down that avenue any further.

netstrider

Expert Member
The ToS don't allow for Multi-SIM.
Does it qualify as a multi-sim deal if it's not under your name? I mean, I live on a small holding and there are a few houses on exactly the same street address - including the company I work for. They're getting the deal now so it should be allowed in theory.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Multi-SIM as in 2 sim cards, same data.

netstrider

Expert Member
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Multi-SIM as in 2 sim cards, same data.
Aha okay that makes more sense.

They do allow you to transfer some data though. Not sure what the limits are on data transfers.

netstrider

Expert Member
I read 10GB max per month on the other thread.
Yeah you'd think at least 100GB. Never tried anything like it (transfer or shared) with any MNO.

Would be interesting to hear what happens when someone tries to transfer more in a month.

Khaba-Ghost

Transfer of data is limited to 10gig per month but also a daily limit of 1gig:sleep::sleep:. So u would have to transfer it over 10 days.

Thor

Honorary Master
So this is normal CAT 4 lte not CAT 6, ie no special router required?

DJ29

Yeah me aswell... However must also check what you get during peak times... Was getting around 20mb at 7pm yesterday and it went back up to 50mb after 9 im still happy with that speed.
Screenshot_20200923_130945_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

DJ29

@netstrider which router did you use previously.. Im currently using a huwei b525 and would definitely buy a b818 if speed improves by 20mb or so