Telkom Adsl checker

Gamebot145

Does the checker show you the dsl line that you rent from telkom. I ask because I have a 6 Mbps subscription from mweb and I have only ever got 1.72 Mbps on a good day. When I use the telkom Adsl checker it says my speed is 2 Mbps. Does that mean I need to upgrade my dsl line from telkom?

Gamebot145

By any chance do you know what: "your line is not syncing at 2 Mbps" means...

I received that in an email from Telkom support.

Scary_Turtle

I think I'm gonna be a barer of bad news here because I'm pretty sure your line can't go faster then a 2meg speed.

If you are not syncing at 2 megs no way you will ever be able to sync a 6, unless Telkom upgrade the internet in your area which may be never.

You may even need to downgrade your line to a 1 meg line for it to be stable but get a technician out to tell you whats going on and make sure they reset the port on your line.

Go to this website http://www2.telkom.co.za/checkadsl/check.htm and put in your phone number to check what speed you can get.

Not syncing means your line is trying to stabilize but cant so it jumps up and down. When this happens you lose connection and then regain connection at a lower speed so when you say 1.72mbps that's not a good thing.

If all else fails try amobia satellite internet

Masataka

The general ADSL checker tells you what your area/your house is capable of, not what you're currently syncing at or signed up for.

If you're paying for a 6Mbps package then you're getting ripped off in a big way. Firstly, are you using a bundled service with Mweb where your line is included, or is your line still with Telkom? Whoever it's with, contact them and find out what's possible, then change the package accordingly.

Masataka

Actually it does those first two things, just not the 3rd.
Oh yea, I forgot that it does actually show your current speed and max possible speed, just not what your specific line is capable of (taking into account attenuation and noise).

Gamebot145

When I put in my home number on the website it says:

Maximum speed available in your area: 20 Mbps (copper)

Your current service speed: 2 Mbps

So I take it that I can handle the higher speeds...
Also my SNR is 20.3 db and my attenuation is 18.3 db. I think that is good.

Gamebot145

The general ADSL checker tells you what your area/your house is capable of, not what you're currently syncing at or signed up for.

If you're paying for a 6Mbps package then you're getting ripped off in a big way. Firstly, are you using a bundled service with Mweb where your line is included, or is your line still with Telkom? Whoever it's with, contact them and find out what's possible, then change the package accordingly.
My line is with telkom but my isp is mweb. I have upgraded to 6 Mbps with mweb but have never gotten close to those speeds. Is it because I need to also upgrade my dsl line from telkom? Because according to the Adsl checker I have a 2 Mbps dsl line.

Last edited:

Electric

Honorary Master
My line is with telkom but my isp is mweb. I have upgraded to 6 Mbps with mweb but have never gotten close to those speeds. Is it because I need to also upgrade my dsl line from telkom? Because according to the Adsl checker I have a 2 Mbps dsl line.
You don't seem to understand the Telkom Checker.
It is telling you you are only able to get 2Mb which is effectively 1.72Mbps after overheads.
So you are getting what the Telkom Checker says, it is Mweb ripping you off.

Gamebot145

It is telling you you are only able to get 2Mb which is effectively 1.72Mbps after overheads.
The Adsl checker says that the maximum available in my area is 20 Mbps but the service I am subscribed to is 2 Mbps. Does that not mean that I can upgrade my dsl line to a higher speed?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
MWEB isn't ripping him off. The fact he signed up for the wrong package is his own problem.

Gamebot145

Would it be better if I just moved my dsl line to mweb. Maybe then they will tell me what I'm doing wrong and assist me in getting the right package.

Electric

Honorary Master
Does the checker show you the dsl line that you rent from telkom. I ask because I have a 6 Mbps subscription from mweb and I have only ever got 1.72 Mbps on a good day. When I use the telkom Adsl checker it says my speed is 2 Mbps. Does that mean I need to upgrade my dsl line from telkom?
I think you made a mistake here then.

Masataka

I think the Mweb 6Mbps package was meant for people who wanted more than 4 but couldn't get their 10Mbps line to sync above 6, so essentially, you would be paying line rental for 10, and data only capable of hitting 6.

If you upgrade your line to 4 with Telkom, you can drop your Mweb data to 4, or you need to upgrade to 10 with Telkom (until Telkom eventually offer 8) and leave your data as is with Mweb.

What are your actual data needs and usage requirements?

MickZA

Executive Member
Check page 2 of your Telkom invoice under Subscription Services to see what speed you are paying for:

DSL Fast - up to 2Mbps
DSL Faster - up to 4Mbps
DSL Fastest - up to 10Mbps

Gamebot145

I think I'm gonna be a barer of bad news here because I'm pretty sure your line can't go faster then a 2meg speed.

If you are not syncing at 2 megs no way you will ever be able to sync a 6, unless Telkom upgrade the internet in your area which may be p
You may even need to downgrade your line to a 1 meg line for it to be stable but get a technician out to tell you whats going on and make sure they reset the port on your line.

Go to this website http://www2.telkom.co.za/checkadsl/check.htm and put in your phone number to check what speed you can get.

Not syncing means your line is trying to stabilize but cant so it jumps up and down. When this happens you lose connection and then regain connection at a lower speed so when you say 1.72mbps that's not a good thing.

If all else fails try amobia satellite internet
Turns out it was just a mistake by telkom. My line is syncing at 2 Mbps :)