Telkom ADSL speed increases and ISP pricing

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
If MWeb want to charge me more for the 2mb, just gonna stick with 1mb.

sybertiger

Expert Member
so about R629 for 2mbps uncap???
thats about R150 more a mounth!!

no way i am gonna pay that...
i will stay with 1mbps then :/

Avenue

Expert Member
okay so Telkom is planning on increasing the price of their 384 line rental if im understanding this correctly, but by how much is the million dollar question.

froot

Honorary Master
379 for WA's 2mb is ridiculous. Its just shy of double the price of 1mb.

Im hoping Mweb brings out their 2mb for around R300(max). Less is obviously better.

hambone

Expert Member
I have decided (in my infinite wisdom, obviously) that Web Africa are sharks. Take your 2Mbps and shove it Rupert. MWEB - beat the pants off them please.

waroop

Afristay.com CEO Rupert Bryant
Company Rep
I have decided (in my infinite wisdom, obviously) that Web Africa are sharks. Take your 2Mbps and shove it Rupert.
Wow, thats pretty unfair. We operate off very thin margins and always push to constantly improve and operate ever more efficiently, all while taking the customer-centric approach passing savings back wherever we can and putting the user experience at the forefront of our thinking. Us Web Africans work really hard and put our heart and soul into the service we provide!

If you've had a bad experience with us, I take this very seriously - could you PM me your customer code and/or give me some details so I can take a look pls?

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
okay so Telkom is planning on increasing the price of their 384 line rental if im understanding this correctly, but by how much is the million dollar question.
only an extra R10 per month
This is only for customers who rent their ADSL line via an ISP.

D3x

Expert Member
Something is up & I don't think us current Mweb 1Mb uncapped users are going to be happy about the pricing of the new 2Mb offering.

Normally Mweb are the 1st with everything but they are stalling with releasing their pricing which probably means we going to be paying more then we actually want to. Currently the 1Mb is going for R199 & I was hoping that R299 would be the price of the 2Mb account but thats probably just wishful thinking.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
One thing i dont think a lot of users realise is that average use on the 2Mb and 4Mb accounts will be quite similar, which means charging far less for the 2 Mb accounts is going to take some real doing.

I doubt we will see extremely cheap 2Mb accounts in the short term unless of course an isp does something amazing in an attempt to gain market share. Afrihost, i'm looking at you. ;)

Saajid

Expert Member
1mbps uncapped: R199
2mbps uncapped: R299
4mbps uncapped: R399
6mbps uncapped: R549
8mbps uncapped: R699
10mbps uncapped: R849

These are the prices and packages I'd like to see from every ISP. You should then also have the option to include ADSL line rental at the discounted wholesale rate.

The above should be for MWEB-quality bandwidth. The other ISPs with IS-quality bandwidth should be about R50 - R100 cheaper depending on package size.

Last edited:

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
1mbps uncapped: R199
2mbps uncapped: R299
4mbps uncapped: R399
6mbps uncapped: R549
8mbps uncapped: R699
10mbps uncapped: R849

These are the prices and packages I'd like to see from every ISP. You should then also have the option to include ADSL line rental at the discounted wholesale rate.

The above should be for MWEB-quality bandwidth. The other ISPs with IS-quality bandwidth should be about R50 - R100 cheaper depending on package size.
good post

ClintX

Banned
Oh how I wish for the day when we can just talk about one price for our broadband. Getting tired of this R*** for the ADSL data + R*** for the ADSL line + R*** for the analog line rental!

BruceA

In most cases, I don't think data usage would go up much with the 1 mbps to 2 mbps jump. Personally, I don't feel like I've used any more data since the 384 kbps to 1 mbps jump. I hope MWEB will look at this and factor it in when they decide their final pricing. Obviously there are people that download huge amounts of data via torrents, but those will always be the exceptions. Most uncapped users just want a fast, stable connection free of worrying about hitting any data caps.

Obviously, the faster speed would further improve the usage experience with pages loading faster etc, and I'd be prepared to pay a little more for that, but certainly not R150/month!

boswald

I would be interested to see what the CPA has to say about this. If telkom don't give you an option to stick to 384kb and force and upgrade I doubt they will be able to charge you for it.

ClintX

Banned
In most cases, I don't think data usage would go up much with the 1 mbps to 2 mbps jump. Personally, I don't feel like I've used any more data since the 384 kbps to 1 mbps jump. I hope MWEB will look at this and factor it in when they decide their final pricing. Obviously there are people that download huge amounts of data via torrents, but those will always be the exceptions. Most uncapped users just want a fast, stable connection free of worrying about hitting any data caps.

Obviously, the faster speed would further improve the usage experience with pages loading faster etc, and I'd be prepared to pay a little more for that, but certainly not R150/month!
I fully concur! If I am browsing it just means the page loads faster but I am still going to spend the same amount of time on that page as I did when I was on 384k. If I am downloading it just means my download arrives faster but then I have nothing else to download anyway so it's not like I am hitting my line non-stop. I already ran out of stuff to download with 384k now it's just happening quicker.

Beri

Expert Member
+10000
Years ago they said that prices must have VAT included. Why not with this as well. Give us the bottom line.
RPM could you please give us a comparison of all the isp's with all costs included.

Oh how I wish for the day when we can just talk about one price for our broadband. Getting tired of this R*** for the ADSL data + R*** for the ADSL line + R*** for the analog line rental!

Reaver.ZA

:confused: Ok wait I'm very confused with all this.

Before Telkom upgrade:
384k adsl line rental = R152/m
1meg ads line rental = R289/m

After Telkom upgrade:
1meg adsl line rental = R152/m (+ R8 to R10)?
2meg ads line rental = R289/m

^ Is that correct? If so then my 1meg uncapped should be cheaper now?

ClintX

Banned

Before Telkom upgrade:

After Telkom upgrade:

My understanding is that as a 1meg user you will be automatically upgraded to 2meg. If you want to take advantage of the saving you will need to downgrade. All of this is only when it gets rolled out, however, and who knows when that will be...

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Before Telkom upgrade:

After Telkom upgrade:

You'll be upgraded to 2meg at the same price.