Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

matbishop

Hi all. I received an SMS today from Telkom, informing me that my 20mbs VDSL package is being upgraded to the 40 one. At the moment my speeds are quite terrible and inconsistent. However I also do not have a VDSL compatible router while being on a VDSL package, but I just bought a VDSL router which will be coming Monday or Tuesday. I will check tomorrow if I see any difference in speed but I doubt it. Will disconnect my router for 30min as well to see if that makes a difference (don't really know how to change settings on my side) but will update next week if I manage to get better speeds; VERY skeptical as the fastest VDSL speed in my area for a long time has been 20 (still shows this in coverage checker) so don't know how it could jump to 40 if the fastest speed I personally ever experienced was like 14 download (albeit technically with a non compatible router). Quite strange timing as was just about to switch to Afrihost Pure DSL - will see first if this upgrade does anything.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Hi, some time ago one night my ADSL sync speed went up double+ current speed, I could download double speed till next morning, then back to old speed.

Yesterday I got SMS the speed had been doubled at no costs, and I should do a speed test but don't log a fault if its not double the speed by 30 April.

Its now May and my line still sync at double the speed, but my internet is half the speed, and it seems slower, hoever downloads not slower than old speed(No faster speed yet), browing seems slower.

So what is going on with this costless upgrade of speed 2021, or was the SMS not from Telkom-?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Just got this from Telkom

Great news! As a valued Telkom customer, we have decided to upgrade your existing 20Mbps DSL speed to 20Mbps at no extra cost to you. That means double the speed for the same price you’re paying now.

Really??

Already got my upgrade, but now my line drops 3-4 times a day, requiring a router power cycle to fix, reported, and I got a new password for router - WTF!

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Just got this from Telkom

Great news! As a valued Telkom customer, we have decided to upgrade your existing 20Mbps DSL speed to 20Mbps at no extra cost to you. That means double the speed for the same price you’re paying now.

Really??

Already got my upgrade, but now my line drops 3-4 times a day, requiring a router power cycle to fix, reported, and I got a new password for router - WTF!

Ok, check this out, can somebody explain to me why I get one good result every time:

1-My line sync at more than double the speed at 6+Mb/s(3+Km).

2-My old speed at 3+Km from exch is around 2.03Mb/s tested to various Speed test Sites:
....https://www.speedtest.net/........I get old speed, and my Telkom Internet is working at this speed
after the SMS of Valued Customer etc......

3-However if I go to the Bellville Speed test Site, I get double + but below 6M/b/s.....Now why is this happenning every time with different DNS as well-?
.....http://cpt-speedtest.telkomsa.net/........Only place I get promised speed.

4-I was phoning Call Center today, they say my speed is at 5Mb/s(Sync 6+Mb/s as I see as well in router) and they did various things to my ADSL port etc configuration with router disconnected, nothing solved the problem. They say they will try to let ISP(Telkom Internet) log fault as well, this is the part I dont understand, same company. If I log into Telkom Internet, I can see my details, but nowhere can I see anything about data speed (100Gb soft cap account).

Telkom ADSL Port versus the ISP=Telkom Internet........Can this be the issue-?
Can it be that Telkom ADSL promise a "Free Upgrade to double the speed at 5Mb/s" on the port, but the ISP=Telkom INternet does not know or care about this free upgrade, so my dat portion is limited to 2Mb/s...??

Note-1:About 2 months ago something happenned at midnight(Line dead for 30 minutes), and I could get double speed till next morning 07:00, then all was back to old speed....strange...

Note-2:I could not find a way to talk to the ISP=Telkom INternet today, just same call centre as ADSL...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Ok, check this out, can somebody explain to me why I get one good result every time:

1-My line sync at more than double the speed at 6+Mb/s(3+Km).

2-My old speed at 3+Km from exch is around 2.03Mb/s tested to various Speed test Sites:
....https://www.speedtest.net/........I get old speed, and my Telkom Internet is working at this speed
after the SMS of Valued Customer etc......

3-However if I go to the Bellville Speed test Site, I get double + but below 6M/b/s.....Now why is this happenning every time with different DNS as well-?
.....http://cpt-speedtest.telkomsa.net/........Only place I get promised speed.

4-I was phoning Call Center today, they say my speed is at 5Mb/s(Sync 6+Mb/s as I see as well in router) and they did various things to my ADSL port etc configuration with router disconnected, nothing solved the problem. They say they will try to let ISP(Telkom Internet) log fault as well, this is the part I dont understand, same company. If I log into Telkom Internet, I can see my details, but nowhere can I see anything about data speed (100Gb soft cap account).

Telkom ADSL Port versus the ISP=Telkom Internet........Can this be the issue-?
Can it be that Telkom ADSL promise a "Free Upgrade to double the speed at 5Mb/s" on the port, but the ISP=Telkom INternet does not know or care about this free upgrade, so my dat portion is limited to 2Mb/s...??

Note-1:About 2 months ago something happenned at midnight(Line dead for 30 minutes), and I could get double speed till next morning 07:00, then all was back to old speed....strange...

Note-2:I could not find a way to talk to the ISP=Telkom INternet today, just same call centre as ADSL...

That is the problem, you talk to a droid in a call center, not the people who can help you.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've received emails and text messages about my impending upgrade to 40mbps - what's the average wait time until they actually do the upgrade?

I'm not even convinced my line is capable of the increase.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I've received emails and text messages about my impending upgrade to 40mbps - what's the average wait time until they actually do the upgrade?

I'm not even convinced my line is capable of the increase.

Well, I am 280 meters from the MSAN/DSLAM, both on same corner, when my line is up and singing I get 40-42 mbps, occasionally peaking at 45. But the last month it has taken to dropping randomly, and reporting it does not get it fixed. So cancelled.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well, I am 280 meters from the MSAN/DSLAM, both on same corner, when my line is up and singing I get 40-42 mbps, occasionally peaking at 45. But the last month it has taken to dropping randomly, and reporting it does not get it fixed. So cancelled.
I'd prefer the cost reduction to the speed increase anyway.

matbishop

Hi all. I received an SMS today from Telkom, informing me that my 20mbs VDSL package is being upgraded to the 40 one. At the moment my speeds are quite terrible and inconsistent. However I also do not have a VDSL compatible router while being on a VDSL package, but I just bought a VDSL router which will be coming Monday or Tuesday. I will check tomorrow if I see any difference in speed but I doubt it. Will disconnect my router for 30min as well to see if that makes a difference (don't really know how to change settings on my side) but will update next week if I manage to get better speeds; VERY skeptical as the fastest VDSL speed in my area for a long time has been 20 (still shows this in coverage checker) so don't know how it could jump to 40 if the fastest speed I personally ever experienced was like 14 download (albeit technically with a non compatible router). Quite strange timing as was just about to switch to Afrihost Pure DSL - will see first if this upgrade does anything.
Just an update and FYI to others:

Upon connecting my new VDSL router and phoning to change syncing to VDSL, my speed immediately increased: My ADSL sync speed was 16400 max rate and 12500 current rate, which increased to 25600 max and 18000 current upon switching to VDSL. According to Telkom I was upgraded to a 40mbs package as stated in my previous message, which isn't officially supported in my area. However, my telephone was not working and after they fixed this fault they could sync me at 39700 max and 29900 current, which obviously made me extremely happy. Testing my internet now, a max download speed of about 27mbps is achievable, which is about double what I previously got. I am obviously over the moon about this as even my upload speeds increased by 4x to about 4/5mbs.

What I will say to others is do not focus on getting speeds above 20mbs on VDSL - the lines mostly do not actually support these speeds. Telkom is creating havoc for the technicians by giving everyone free speed upgrades, as there are many faults in the line network with shabby repair jobs, and increasing the speed will likely make your connection less stable. This is all information I have from extended conversations with a technician.

Thus my advice if you got an upgrade to 40: Phone Telkom and ask them to resync your line and look at the statistics. You might get an extra few mbs, do not focus on getting >30 download speeds etc.

All of this also means I will not be switching to Afrihost pure DSL and keeping my telephone line for the time being, as Afrihost will only offer me 20mbs.

Attachments

• VDSL 40.png
    VDSL 40.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 17