Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

David200

Our 2mbps line went up to nearly 4mbps for a few days then went back to 2mbps and stayed there. Just contacted telkom via webchat portal to ask why it was not being upgraded, they did a port reset and now it's running at 5mbps.

freemass

Wow, not sure if I'm losing my mind or can't read, but I'm sure Dsl customers were due for speed upgrades for free during Mar? (I'm currently on a 10Mb with Telkom)
I've enquired from telkom today, twice, and they say there's no announcement or plan to upgrade Dsl customers, I've been Ill informed and mustn't believe everything I read!
Eish, now I'm confused! Please advise?

pedruid

Expert Member
Wow, not sure if I'm losing my mind or can't read, but I'm sure Dsl customers were due for speed upgrades for free during Mar? (I'm currently on a 10Mb with Telkom)
I've enquired from telkom today, twice, and they say there's no announcement or plan to upgrade Dsl customers, I've been Ill informed and mustn't believe everything I read!
Eish, now I'm confused! Please advise?
I can only speak for myself, here, in Port Elizabeth. Some weeks ago I was getting slow speeds and intermitancy so phone telkom and asked them to re set my port. Wham regular 20 Mbps on my 10 Mbps ADSL line.

MEG101

My account was upgraded from 10mbps to 20mbps - but my line with Openserve was still on 10mbps. I asked Axxess to reset the port and the speed was instantly upgraded to 20mbps. I am very happy with the new speeds.

ejtango

I have also called Telkom and their sales dept does not know about the speed upgrades Nor has my account been adjusted Will try again , maybe with a different person ?? Do let us know if you have any joy

pedruid

Expert Member
I have also called Telkom and their sales dept does not know about the speed upgrades Nor has my account been adjusted Will try again , maybe with a different person ?? Do let us know if you have any joy

pedruid

Expert Member
Call 10210 as if youre reporting a fault and aske them to reset your port.

FNfal

Executive Member
I used to be on 4 Meg now at 10 Meg , not sure about the account but i did not ask for it .
Account still the same .

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

ejtango

At my 6th call, I struck Gold! To change your existing contract to the new speeds and prices, you need to call 10213 and then option to change your existing contract ie option 3 (This was my 2nd call to them) After trying option 1 or 2 as well
Shannen helped me with the info Much has been said about Telkom's service, but she was excellent! So far I do hope I can deal with her in future She is at the Durban Call centre
I got the following info
For R399, you can get uncapped (with fair usage policy up to 400Gig), 25 mgb dnload and 5 mgb upload
For R449, you can get 25mgb up and dnload, uncapped
With both you can get for extra R40: 3,000 min free calls, 70c per min there after
You may check if a router can be included on a 24 month cotract
You need to apply telephonically via 10213, which may take longer
or
visit a Telkom store

freemass

Cool, thanks guys for the advise, I'll try the reset port option 1st & then call sales thereafter if not changing!
Was just wondering if there was any notification sent out, (especially Telkom as an ISP customers) to any users?

Madhawk

Honorary Master
I called Telkom today. Asked for a port/line reset and it didn't work for me.

Still sitting with a 4 Meg line downloading at 2.5 Megs.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I called Telkom today. Asked for a port/line reset and it didn't work for me.

Still sitting with a 4 Meg line downloading at 2.5 Megs.
If you aren't getting linespeed then you have a line issue. Upping the sync speed won't do anything.

freemass

Funny enough, the night before I called, I reset my router & have had issues ever since, where our internet just freezes for a few seconds & then everything is ok again, happening a few times a day! Had the port reset, speed increased ever so slightly, but problem persists. Not sure if I'm in the mood for the struggle of calling telkom, might just wait it out for the ever so close date of "livening our fiber in the area"!

SeSSioN

I messaged Telkom using social media, I asked if they could reset my Internet port at the exchange. And behold! From 5mbps to 10mbps! A marked improvement!
Shout out to Frank! Huge lifesaver, helped me out on more than one occasion.

It seems my line was already upgraded to 10mbps but my syncing profile was not updated to match it.

ejtango

Do they automatically upgrade you from a 10Mgb line to 25 mgbs line after the reset? Im on a Telkom contract The sales dept does not seem to know about the new speeds as advertised

SeSSioN

Do they automatically upgrade you from a 10Mgb line to 25 mgbs line after the reset? Im on a Telkom contract The sales dept does not seem to know about the new speeds as advertised
In my case, according to Frank, the Telkom agent who assisted me, the upgrade was already applied to my line, my sync profile was just not updated to match the upgrade. He updated my sync profile to match the upgrade while doing the port reset. Again, Shout out to Frank! Huge lifesaver!

It seems the upgrade is automated, hence why sales dept would be clueless. I mean Telkom never communicated about this free upgrade to their consumers and their website does not reflect this at all, so it kinda makes sense they would not communicate this information to their own sales dept in a timeous manner. Gross misinformation if you ask me, think about how many people were upgraded but they're still chilling with their old sync profiles, unbeknownst to them that they've been upgraded.

ejtango

Thx so much my profile was updated with the new speed, but it seems you need to call for the actual speed upgrade Like you did!

ClydeH

I have been calling every department of telkom but no one seems to know about the upgrade. My line is sync correctly and did a port reset but non luck any advice

ClydeH

I have been calling every department of telkom but no one seems to know about the upgrade. My line is sync correctly and did a port reset but non luck any advice
And if i wanted to upgrade to 20mbs i would pay R700

ejtango

At my 6th call, I struck Gold! To change your existing contract to the new speeds and prices, you need to call 10213 and then option to change your existing contract ie option 3 (This was my 2nd call to them) After trying option 1 or 2 as well

I got the following info
For R399, you can get uncapped (with fair usage policy up to 400Gig), 25 mgb dnload and 5 mgb upload
For R449, you can get 25mgb up and dnload, uncapped
With both you can get for extra R40: 3,000 min free calls, 70c per min there after Called Bolt on
You may check if a router can be included on a 24 month cotract
You need to apply telephonically via 10213, which may take longer
or
visit a Telkom store