Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

bobcpt

If you live in an area where vdsl is available and you were previously on 10Mbps adsl using a vdsl capable router, do they automatically upgrade your line to use the vdsl profile?

Grouter

Expert Member
If you live in an area where vdsl is available and you were previously on 10Mbps adsl using a vdsl capable router, do they automatically upgrade your line to use the vdsl profile?
Interesting question. I'd like to know as well.

Stiffmeister

They do not. Well not for me at least. I upgraded from 10mb to 20mb and my line was syncing at 22mbps on ADSL2+
It wasn’t the best experience after some time so I had to call them and ask to change me to VDSL.

Hanzo

I'm on 20mb and they told me my exchange doesn't support vdsl modulation

MEG101

I am still waiting for my upgrade from 10mbps to 20mbps from Axxess. Support told me the upgrades are done in phases...I guess I just have to be patient.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Still waiting for someone from Openserve to contact me.. Monday it'll be a week since application

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
Hi

My current stats, would my line be able to do 40Mbps?

Actual rate (up)1052 kbps
Actual rate (down)24896 kbps
Data transfered (sent)0 kB
Data transfered (received)0 kB
Output power (up)12 dBm
Output power (downstream)7.2 dBm
Line attenuation (up)5.9 dBm
Line attenuation (downstream)15.9 dB
Noise margin (up)6 dB
Noise margin (downstream)7.5 dB

Telkom say yes, ISP say no

Thanks

Totempole

Expert Member
Hi

My current stats, would my line be able to do 40Mbps?

Actual rate (up)1052 kbps
Actual rate (down)24896 kbps
Data transfered (sent)0 kB
Data transfered (received)0 kB
Output power (up)12 dBm
Output power (downstream)7.2 dBm
Line attenuation (up)5.9 dBm
Line attenuation (downstream)15.9 dB
Noise margin (up)6 dB
Noise margin (downstream)7.5 dB

Telkom say yes, ISP say no

Thanks
Are you currently running in VDSL mode?

What package are you currently on to be getting sync rate of 24.31Mb? If you were on 20Mb VDSL interleaved, your max rate should be around 22Mb and your upload should be around 5Mb, and it's currently only just over 1Mb.

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
Are you currently running in VDSL mode?

What package are you currently on to be getting sync rate of 24.31Mb? If you were on 20Mb VDSL interleaved, your max rate should be around 22Mb and your upload should be around 5Mb, and it's currently only just over 1Mb.

I am with Axxess, and I was on 20Mbps, and my older router only supported adsl2, not vdsl. My connection speed has been like this for the past year

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I am with Axxess, and I was on 20Mbps, and my older router only supported adsl2, not vdsl. My connection speed has been like this for the past year

I would suggest getting in touch with them and have the log it with Openserve to change the modulation to VDSL2 now if you have a supported router and that will give you a better indication if 40Mbps is supported.

If you were on 20Mbps all this time it's likely that your profile is already changed to 40Mbps due to the double speed promo.

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
I would suggest getting in touch with them and have the log it with Openserve to change the modulation to VDSL2 now if you have a supported router and that will give you a better indication if 40Mbps is supported.

If you were on 20Mbps all this time it's likely that your profile is already changed to 40Mbps due to the double speed promo.
I have asked and now there is total confusion. In an ideal situation what should the upload speed be for vdsl 20Mbps and 40Mbps?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I have asked and now there is total confusion. In an ideal situation what should the upload speed be for vdsl 20Mbps and 40Mbps?

Perfect line conditions.

5Mbps upload for VDSL 20Mbps profile and 10Mbps upload for VDSL 40Mbps profile.

MEG101

Has everyone received the speed upgrades? Line at work was upgraded from 10mbps to 20mbps in the middle of the month - but home line is still on 10mbps. I have set the modem to VDSL and it connects to the internet, all settings is correct. Hope it gets upgraded soon - I want to enjoy the same speeds at home!!

Grouter

Expert Member
Has everyone received the speed upgrades? Line at work was upgraded from 10mbps to 20mbps in the middle of the month - but home line is still on 10mbps. I have set the modem to VDSL and it connects to the internet, all settings is correct. Hope it gets upgraded soon - I want to enjoy the same speeds at home!!
No...
:(

Totempole

Expert Member

I have a client on Telkom ADSL who has still not been upgraded. I think some of us will have to contact them directly and request a port reset or whatever may be required to trigger the upgrade.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have a client on Telkom ADSL who has still not been upgraded. I think some of us will have to contact them directly and request a port reset or whatever may be required to trigger the upgrade.
Assuming your line can handle any upgrade. I think 20 is as good as I'm likely to get according to their coverage map.

All I can realistically hope for is the price cut.

Totempole

Expert Member
Assuming your line can handle any upgrade. I think 20 is as good as I'm likely to get according to their coverage map.

All I can realistically hope for is the price cut.
In this case it's a 2Mb service which should be upgraded to a 5Mb service, the line is capable of at least 10Mb. It's an elderly individual who only uses the internet for email and SARS efiling.