Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

Totempole

Expert Member
Something I've noticed since the upgrade from 20 to 40Mb VDSL...

Everything appears to be working pretty well, I'm not noticing any issue, but for some reason my router is showing a lot more "RS Correctable Errors" than it did prior to the upgrade.

Not sure exactly what this means and how it would affect my overall performance, but I should also mention that the "RS Uncorrectable Errors" section shows 0, so I guess that's positive.

Craig84

I live about 1.4km from our exchange, I'm with Vox and openserve with a 20mbps adsl/vdsl(not sure) line speed.Will I also be upgraded to a 40mbps line or am I too far from the exchange? I can upload the snr and all of that stuff for you guys. I'm so excited about the upgrade,but I feel nothing is going to happen on my side.TIA

Totempole

Expert Member
I live about 1.4km from our exchange, I'm with Vox and openserve with a 20mbps adsl/vdsl(not sure) line speed.Will I also be upgraded to a 40mbps line or am I too far from the exchange? I can upload the snr and all of that stuff for you guys. I'm so excited about the upgrade,but I feel nothing is going to happen on my side.TIA
A snapshot of your line stats would be the most helpful in detemining the likelihood of your line supporting the upgraded speed.

Grouter

Expert Member
Not on ADSL. You'll need to go to VDSL. Though I stand to be corrected...

And your SNR is borderline, though it may improve with VDSL.

Craig84

Good morning. Thank you for the response. How exactly do I go about changing to VDSL?

Grouter

Expert Member
Good morning. Thank you for the response. How exactly do I go about changing to VDSL?
You have to phone telkom unfortunately. It requires a modulation change from ADSL to VDSL. It certainly takes some explaining to the call centre, that's for sure. I've done it 3 times and it's been a major pain each time. You also have to be sure you have a VDSL-capable router.

Craig84

I do have a vdsl router. Is there anything that vox need to change on their side and also how long does it take for telkom to change the modulation?

Grouter

Expert Member
I do have a vdsl router. Is there anything that vox need to change on their side and also how long does it take for telkom to change the modulation?
It's instantaneous - if you get a capable person at 10210, they do it while you are on the phone with them. It's finding the capable and knowledgeable person that's the problem...

Vox only supply the data, so it's nothing to do with them.

With my recent Vox Pure dsl install, the openserve techs who came to install the line did the VDSL change at the same time. Even they were confused - and they had a hotline to head office. It took them 2 calls with me watching my router stats all the time and I was telling them "No - it's still synching on ADSL". After the second call, they found someone back at Centurion who knew what to do, I saw my line go down on the router page, then re-synch at "VDSL 2".
Good luck!

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
This is my line. Not great, and I'm worried if they bump me up to 40 Mbps, it will bomb out on me. The problem is the very low SNR - not unlike yours.... :confused:
1614752400702.png

Craig84

Thank you for all the information Grouter. What is you current download speed on VDSL? Did it improve? I get between 13mbps and 16mbps download on a good day.

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
Thank you for all the information Grouter. What would you do if you're in my situation? Well,I guess you are.LOL!!!
What do you suggest "WE" do about the line speed?
Well, it was explained to me by someone, somewhere sometime on this forum that SNR improves with a modulation change from ADSL to VDSL, and this was indeed the case when I went to VDSL. So your poor SNR SHOULD improve if you make the move to VDSL (which is nice if for nothing more than the improved upload speed).
So maybe do that first.
I don't think ADSL is capable of much more than 20 Mbps (as is evident from your screenshot: "Max Rate 23192 kbps".
So once you get converted to VDSL, then the Openserve upgrade program (doubling line speeds) should bump you up to the highest speed your line can reliably sustain.
That's what I'm hoping for anyways...

Reactions: Yuu

Grouter

Expert Member
Thank you for all the information Grouter. What is you current download speed on VDSL? Did it improve? I get between 13mbps and 16mbps download on a good day.
Speedtest is always a reliable 20 Mbit down, 3 Mbit up.

Craig84

Last question Grouter. I'm at work at the moment and my girlfriend is at home and highly incapable of all this stuff. If I give telkom a call to have them change to VDSL, is there anything that should be done on the router itself? Will the router just reboot and connectivity will resume?

Grouter

Expert Member
Last question Grouter. I'm at work at the moment and my girlfriend is at home and highly incapable of all this stuff. If I give telkom a call to have them change to VDSL, is there anything that should be done on the router itself? Will the router just reboot and connectivity will resume?
Depends on the router: with adsl, you have vpi and vci (8 and 35 for ZA).
With vdsl modulation, you have what they call vlan id. that would need to be set at 835.
Some better routers auto-configure these, others not. I'm not able to tell you which.

So if you manage to get telkom to change you to vdsl and your router is not able to auto-negotiate and re-configure itself, you will come home to no internet and you'd have to do it manually.

1614758426409.png

Reactions: Yuu

pedruid

Expert Member
My Telkom ADSL has been showing good results of + 9.0 Mbps consistently today but other site like Afrihost ( my ISP) is constantly less than 6. same applies to Vinet, Villeirersdorp and BDC Hermanus. Any clues?

Vir149

Decided to try getting Telkom to reset our ADSL port today (M-WEB with 2Mb) and sure enough, then auto-upgraded and currently getting around 5.25 Mb.
So looks to me like all who technically can will get it.
I just did the same after reading your post. Previously router synced at 6.4 and after the port reset I'm getting around 12.5 Mb.