Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

pedruid

Expert Member
Decided to try getting Telkom to reset our ADSL port today (M-WEB with 2Mb) and sure enough, then auto-upgraded and currently getting around 5.25 Mb.
So looks to me like all who technically can will get it.
Just had them reset my port. Operator first alleged that the was nothing untoward showing on their side. Re Set my port and now i'm getting +20 Mbps withe the same sites I mentioned in my earlier post. Hold thumbs that it stayes this way.

pedruid

Expert Member
I just did the same after reading your post. Previously router synced at 6.4 and after the port reset I'm getting around 12.5 Mb.
I did the same about 12:30 and got consistent peeds to Saix Capetown of + 20 Mbps, however, now at 15:21 it's down to 16.5. No consistency.

Brian_G

Executive Member
No consistency.
Someone else in this thread mentioned to me that there's lots of techies on the job here and there, so hopefully a work in progress.
For me a more steady 5 to 5.25 all day, peaked at 5.5. Other behaviour factors checked were all good. Uplink also, but just doubled, not x2.5.

Reactions: Yuu

justplainphil

I had 10210 reset my ADSL port twice today, no joy. 30 min into the 2nd call I convinced them to escalate it . Now we wait !!!!

Arksun

Expert Member
I haven't gotten the upgrade yet, but I'm just wondering if my line will handle it. Screenshot attached shows my line stats synced on ADSL2PLUS. Will my line handle 20Mbps if I switch to VDSL if/when I get the upgrade?
c65ebdef2eb00ab19bdc563851572248.jpg

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I haven't gotten the upgrade yet, but I'm just wondering if my line will handle it. Screenshot attached shows my line stats synced on ADSL2PLUS. Will my line handle 20Mbps if I switch to VDSL if/when I get the upgrade?
c65ebdef2eb00ab19bdc563851572248.jpg

With those stats you should be able to get about 30-35Mbps or so maybe more or a bit less.

Craig84

Grouter / Afrinatic? Will I be able to get a 40mbps connection with these stats when/if upgraded? IMG_20210303_184923.jpg

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Grouter / Afrinatic? Will I be able to get a 40mbps connection with these stats when/if upgraded? View attachment 1030248

By the looks of it you are already upgraded to 40Mbps.

Your line stats are not that good could be better maybe try logging a fault to see if they can improve the stats a bit.

Craig84

I only get about 18 down and 1mbps up. Is that the best my line can do?

Last edited:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I only get about 18 up and 1mbps down. Is that the best my line can do?

The current conditions? Yes it about the limit. You can ask Telkom to send a tech because you are getting slow speeds, low sync rate and intermittent connection.

When a tech gets dispatched you can have a chat with him/her and say the line stats are not good. They should be better maybe move you to another copper pair to see if that fixes the issue.

Grouter

Expert Member
Well, it looks like my speed was bumped up a couple of hours ago, about 2am. But only to what the line can handle - as I suspected. I've gone from 22.5 to 25.6:

1614827797408.png

Vox is still throttling the speed to 20Mbps, as it is still a 20 Mbps uncapped account. I wonder when they will wake up?

1614827928977.png

Reactions: Yuu

Brian_G

Executive Member
Word of warning re current port resets - our speed has been deteriorating regularly and is now almost back on the original rating.
And my ping is nearly twice as bad as it was (22 now 38ms).

Doubled uploading speed remains constant though so the upgrade is real.

Going to have the port reset again. Presume it will have fixed the issue, for now, if I don't post further.
Longer term - may be best to wait for them to finish their own processes.

Anyone else?

Brian_G

Executive Member
^^ port reset did work, but there's more...

I happened to get straight to a supervisor at Telkom, so this is accurate stuff. Firstly she confirmed that the upgrade is genuine. Secondly she said we first had to have them do an "Optimisation of the line", then do the port reset again.

Result: best all-round performance yet!

She said it's not a fix for everyone, but in these circumstances could help.