Telkom Big deal July!

buyeye

Expert Member
Rain launches offpeak uncapped LTE for R250 Telkom decides we will steal this idea but double the price?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What's their FUP like? TM is the fastest network where I live, including fixed line services.

buyeye

Expert Member
This deal is for business hours
Telkom has it from 00:00 to 17h00

Rain has it from 23h00 to 18h00. Currently uncapped all day as a launch promotion.

I did see some improvement on my Telkom LTE after rain launched with some mobile users moving to rain.

I've also tested the rain mobile offering I went for a drive from pietermaritzburg to Durban and had coverage throughout the trip.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Rain's R250/pm off peak uncapped also includes business hours.
Ah. Then I suppose the better coverage (?) And ability to make calls differentiates it. Does the rain deal come with a router?

buyeye

Expert Member
Ah. Then I suppose the better coverage (?) And ability to make calls differentiates it. Does the rain deal come with a router?
Whatsapp calling works just fine on rain. You can buy many dual SIM phones on their site and there is no such thing as free it's always included in price.

BBSA

Honorary Master
This would have been nice if you didn't have to sign up 24-month contract. You really going to battle to cancel the contract if the service deteriorate to a point there it is unusable.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Anybody has a url link to the Rain Uncapped LTE?

For some reason , my google skills are failing me today

3Gee

Expert Member

Rain has it from 23h00 to 18h00. Currently uncapped all day as a launch promotion.

I did see some improvement on my Telkom LTE after rain launched with some mobile users moving to rain.

I've also tested the rain mobile offering I went for a drive from pietermaritzburg to Durban and had coverage throughout the trip.
How do you get around not getting billed for peak hrs on RAIN, switch off the router?

buyeye

Expert Member
How do you get around not getting billed for peak hrs on RAIN, switch off the router?
I think the spend limit if it works should sort that out. You will use 1 gig on the first day then on other days it should say spend limit reached during peak hours and only work during offpeak.

Or you could manually turn it off which is tedious. I'm just going to leave it on and expect a bill of R300/month.

If somehow the spend limit doesn't work. You will read about here.(expect lots of rants)

Dan C

Honorary Master
Rain launches offpeak uncapped LTE for R250 Telkom decides we will steal this idea but double the price?
and a 24 month contract. Which once signed, you battle months to cancel.

Dan C

Honorary Master
What's their FUP like? TM is the fastest network where I live, including fixed line services.
I can only get 4mbps ... sigh. Rain has save the day for me... wonder if I should cancel my ADSL. :erm:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I think the spend limit if it works should sort that out. You will use 1 gig on the first day then on other days it should say spend limit reached during peak hours and only work during offpeak.

Or you could manually turn it off which is tedious. I'm just going to leave it on and expect a bill of R300/month.

If somehow the spend limit doesn't work. You will read about here.(expect lots of rants)
Joy of a credit card, breach agreement refuse charge.

marhsava

Coverage is the only thing that is worrying me about RAIN

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Well, even at R899 for uncapped this seems pretty good ... that's less than I pay for 20Mbps uncapped fibre from Telkom, but the catch is the ping isn't it? The gamers on LTE always complain about LTE's erratic ping, while fibre is pretty rock solid.