Telkom cancellation nightmare

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Telkom cancellation nightmare

Telkom's cancellation system remains a problem for many customers, with certain users still being incorrectly blacklisted by the company.

A MyBroadband reader stated that a Telkom account he had cancelled in 2018 came back to haunt him in 2020.

a-person

Expert Member
I was caught in this cancellation nightmare with Telkom. I spent hundreds on endless phonecalls. It affected my credit rating and took over a year to recover.

I'm sad to say I will never, ever be a Telkom customer ever again.

Gazg

I had exactly the same problem and outcome a couple of years ago.
Found out when I applied for a friggin 10gb 24month contract from Mtn and was declined. :ROFL:

Last edited:

boboudts

For a communications company their track record with client services is just appalling!

cavedog

Honorary Master
I almost drove my car right through those boom gates at their Head office in Centurion when they blscklisted me for a lanline I cancelled and had the proof for. They zeroed the account 1 year later and sent me a paid up letter. I logged disputes with all the credit bureau to have the adverse listing removed.

Hortible company to deal with. I feel nothing for the people getting retrenched. Less staff to f*** up clients lives.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
This is the reason I wont touch a telkom mobile or fibre deal ever. When I moved, I cancelled my landline. They continued to debit my account for a few months, and I had to go in to fight and get a refund. It took 12 months for the refund to reflect!

StevenC

Expert Member
When the person in my house that the line was under passed away 2 years ago, I tried to do the right thing and transfer the account to my name. They informed me that they will need to switch it to debit order. I said hell no (because we all know how rubbish they are with that).

I kept paying the account monthly until I was finally able to get fiber installed (approx 6 months ago) and then promptly went to a Telkom store with the latest bill (paid up) and a copy of the death certificate to cancel. They said fine and I went on my merry way. They kept sending bills. I didn't pay them. They didn't disconnect the line either. Last week I got an important letter from Telkom saying that they will start the blacklisting process. I wish them good luck getting a deceased person blacklisted or any money out of the now closed estate. Idiots.

Sollie

Executive Member
How do I get them to clear mine. I am also getting harrassed by debt collectors
If you have nothing to loose and you have proof, you could try:
COMPLAINTS AGAINST TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE PROVIDERS
  • Quality-of-service complaints, such as complaints about network coverage; dropped calls; line installation, activation, transfer and suspension; ADSL; mobile-number portability or suspension of service
  • Complaints about the billing of data services, voice services and international roaming
How well it will work, I'm not sure as ICASA was pretty useless last time I escalated something. But at least they replied which is progress over Telkom. :)

envo

Expert Member
If his account was cleared/credited after he received the debt collection call (and never heard a confirmation or even a ****ing apology), and yet, was still blacklisted for it, is the problem really solved? OR is he one of just thousands of others who have a surprise lurking?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I'm in the same boat.

Cancelled with Telkom. They kept billing me and I did not pay.

Handed me over to some debt agency. I sent ALL the communications again. Telkom instructed the debt agency to close the file.

A week a go a different agency started contacting me about the same schit again....

Fukkem...I will not pay.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Someone with deep pockets and a bunch of time, should sue the pants off of telkom...like "make an example of them" type-thing.
Fckers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm in the same boat.

Handed me over to some debt agency. I sent ALL the communications again. Telkom instructed the debt agency to close the file.

A week a go a different agency started contacting me about the same schit again....

Fukkem...I will not pay.
Guess what. Telkom blacklisted you already.....

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I'm in the same boat.

Fukkem...I will not pay.
Their incompetence is jaw dropping.

When this west coast cable thing went down a couple of weeks ago and internet speeds died, my son called them (thinking it was something wrong with our line (he or I hadn't checked the news) and was told it's throttled because the bill hadn't been paid. My son called me, I'm out of the country in a different time zone, and told me this. I told him it was because the debit order only comes off on the 5th of the month, next one due 5th February. He called and we went back and forward a few times until I called to pay them myself think wtf, I'll just pay and get this over with. It was the only way. I called form Myanmar, and was told the only thing to do was to pay on line and send them proof of payment. I did this and emailed them the proof of payment. Another call and we're told it will be un-throttled soon, just need to wait a few hours.

An hour later I find out the cables are down and the whole country is fscked.

True story.

At least my bill is paid for Feb but knowing my luck and their incompetence, they'll take it again.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
I was lucky enough to not be part of the cancellation issues.
However they owe me a pro-rata refund amount of R200 ish, that never came and I won't be doing effort for that

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Went through this a good number of years ago... Got the t-shirt.

The only thing I found that actually worked was to threaten telkom and the debt collection Muppets with legal action. For some reason that got people ju ping and it got sorted relatively quickly after that.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Update

Despite Telkom stating that the issue has been resolved, the affected reader told MyBroadband that he was still experiencing problems.

The reader told MyBroadband that contrary to Telkom’s statement, his name has still not been cleared with the credit bureau.

He said he has been unable to elicit a letter from Telkom stating that his account is paid up and closed so that he can clear his credit record at TransUnion.

AHolloway

Yes, this happened to me too and I had to get my lawyer to sort out my situation with TransUnion. Telkom never apologised for the difficulty their incompetence caused me. As a result I cancelled my business account with Telkom too and neither me or my family or anyone I can influence will deal with them again. I hope they go to the wall.