Telkom is killing itself

Milano

Honorary Master
I actually wanted another landline converted to FLLA. Telkom refused to convert landline to FLLA. Cancelled line. Done. Telkom is clearly not fond of revenue.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Can we compare that graph of their fixed line decline to the graph of their LTE take up? I don't think the picture is accurate.
I don't blame them for retiring copper. Nobody wants copper anymore - not even them.
Except in many areas around the country there is no alternative to Telkom's copper network.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Can we compare that graph of their fixed line decline to the graph of their LTE take up? I don't think the picture is accurate.
I don't blame them for retiring copper. Nobody wants copper anymore - not even them.
Not wanting copper anymore does not necessarily mean you want the FLLA though, that is where the problem lie.

thechamp

Honorary Master
We don't even have Openserve fibre (or any fibre for that matter), so every poor soul they convince to move to FLLA ends up LOSING them revenue because they cutoff their ADSL and basically force previously happy ADSL customers to find some other non-Telkom way to connect to the internet.
Exactly.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not wanting copper anymore does not necessarily mean you want the FLLA though, that is where the problem lie.
The only business case I can think of for getting FLLA is if you want to keep your landline number. But what Telkom fails to realise is that a LOT of people only have a landline for ADSL and don't give a crap about keeping their landline number. Additionally, if you really want to keep your landline number then you can simply port it to a VOIP service provider.

itsme2

The article is twaddle. South Africans are fickle. Just give them a special and all is forgotten and forgiven and they sign up in their numbers. We are a country built on mediocrity.
Not this time. TelSCUM could offer me free services and I'd tell them to **** off and die. They are useless, dishonest, unethical and frankly painful to try and del with. How did they get authority to blacklist me, when I was trying to cancel their **** service for over 9 months and ended up losing face and several property opportunities? After numerous printed cancellation forms being hand delivered, many many emails, to many address', with confirmations etc. And only a year later have they actually stopped sending us bills. FVCK Telcom. I don't feel sorry for them. They had a monopoly and STILL managed to ruin it.

Milano

Honorary Master
The only business case I can think of for getting FLLA is if you want to keep your landline number. But what Telkom fails to realise is that a LOT of people only have a landline for ADSL and don't give a crap about keeping their landline number. Additionally, if you really want to keep your landline number then you can simply port it to a VOIP service provider.
FLLA is in some ways superior to porting to a VOIP provider. Why does Telkom now prefer cancellation to allowing FLLA? Does not compute.

Thor

Honorary Master
Meh,

Fix amdocs (probably spagetti'ed so much crap in by devs no longer at the company.)
Fire the majority of the staff (they are useless and just cause more irritation and frustration damaging the brand even more) or hire and train competent staff (pay them well, don't go bottom feeding.).
Move away from charging per MB, it's an old model it's dying, lead the innovation.

Boerq

NEVER, EVER IN MY LIFE AGAIN. That is what I tell their telesales operators every time they try to flog me another Telkom product. So what happens to the people who were wrongfully blacklisted?

gamer16

Honorary Master
I think had it not been so difficult to cancel your services with them, their rate of customer loss would be much greater.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
We've all been following this "unable to cancel" topic for at least a few years now and not once have I ever heard the group CEO Sipho Maseko weigh in on this exact issue. @rpm

Rossgun

The article is twaddle. South Africans are fickle. Just give them a special and all is forgotten and forgiven and they sign up in their numbers. We are a country built on mediocrity.
Partly true but we arent in charge so we have to :listen" to what is told to us.

Rossgun

I think had it not been so difficult to cancel your services with them, their rate of customer loss would be much greater.
Just on a year to cancel after menay trips to their service center here. Which has since closed down.

Solitude

Expert Member
A couple of years ago I vowed never to use them again. I had a problem with our DSL line and it was impossible to get a techie to come have a look. They kept closing the ticket. Over and over again. I couldn't take it anymore. So went with BitCo wireless and then eventually Vodacom fibre.

I will never ever make use of Telkom again. Even if they are free.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Yeah, I had problems with the cancellation of my services. Telkom sent me a letter threatening me, so I wrote back to them telling them in no uncertain terms, explicitly detailing their ineptness and incompetence. This was about four months ago and I'm yet to receive a response from them. I'm assuming that they have finally sorted things out on their side. If they haven't, I really couldn't care any less because in a few weeks time I am out of here and there is nothing that they can do about it. They can try blacklisting me, if they haven't already done so, but it will have absolutely no effect on my existence or future.
They'll get the money that they think that I owe them tenfold over from the wallets of the poor souls that unwittingly subscribe to their shambolically run services.

Kenny Strydom

This only took 5 months to do - first dispute on 15 October 2018 after I agreed to move from ADSL to Fibre in June 2018 and Telkom neglected to cancel the ADSL, thus double charging me till February 2019. Telkom suspended lines and refused to accept cancellation on mail or on portal until R7k payment was made. They just kept on adding double monthly charges even after suspending the service. Seems 4 departments are involved, doing their bit one at a time. Now I am waiting for the billing surprise and the fight to continue. And, in January a independent supplier arrived in 1 day to install fibre system, no issues since!
Opera Snapshot_2019-03-26_091234_apps.telkom.co.za.png

Milano

Honorary Master
Not if you live in an area with no Telkom Mobile coverage. The FLLA phone does make a good paperweight though.
I live in an area with Telkom coverage. Already had one fixed line converted to FLLA 12+ months ago from same address. Telkom has changed their policy. They said cable theft is not high enough in my area therefore my area no longer qualifies for new FLLA conversation. Cannot wait for copper theft to reach their required level in my area. So they happily accepted line cancellation. Telkom is special. Would hate to be a shareholder :laugh:

system32

Expert Member
Most people prefer POTS to the unreliable fixed wireless phone.
1553586332535.png
This thing is nasty - drops calls all the time.

Last edited:

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Telkom is on a downward spiral and will not recover unless some miracle happens!