Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

Tested again... on LTE...


2636395945.png


not sure now...
 
So something wrong somewhere... Im on 3G now... check my speeds LOL

2636561903.png
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

I'm considering semi-abandoning Telkom LTE now. The tower and equipment are too up and down. For the past month my service speed has been halved and last night it was down to a quarter (10Mbps).

892231459.png


It is apparent that adjustments were made on the tower at some point because my upload speed has increased by 2-3Mbps: from 6-7Mbps to 9Mbps.

By "semi-abandoning" my plan is to switch to Afrihost 10+10GB mobile data and then use Telkom Mobile data from my voice contracts. This month we had almost 20GB saved up from our Smart 100 voice contracts as I bought a PSB Data Promo 25+25GB to use a month and a half ago, so our phone data went unused.

Edit: Just turned off wireless to test 3G and it isn't working so the tower is definitely problematic.

I'm going to order Afrihost LTE now and will post the comparative results.
 
Last edited:
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

To make sure my wireless isn't messing around, I tested now on my phone over wireless, on a Dell UltraBook over wireless and via direct LAN connection to the B593. All the same, 20Mbps.

892766871.png


Going to go ahead and order Afrihost LTE now and hope I get these results from Jan 2014:

744757875.png
 
joined Telkom Mobile LTE family in February from the word go my connection to LTE was unable(fluctuates), never consistent. Once Telkom mobile sent over their technicians to install an antenna my speeds were bumped 18 - 21 download, 7-9 meg upload but 5 months later my LTE isn't wonderful in line with ADSL. Takes longer to download content, back in the day was able to achieve 10 meg downloading content now only receiving 2 meg.

753962585


http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/880302979

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/880305095



CELL c

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/753962585
 
Last edited:
Wow Telkom Mobile LTE signal can travel.... Gees. Only 1 tower in the whole Richards Bay and its like 5km from me but I get 16Mbps down and 1Mbps upload and a stock solid ping to EU.

Wow. Its traveling +-5km to me with huge trees and buildings in the way and its still very stable.
 
Anyone else having issues at the moment? No signal and unable to connect at the moment. Red light of death on the modem.

might just be my tower...in Lansdowne Cape Town
 
Not necessary - still under the impression they can throttle profiles for load balancing purposes to be fair to other uses.

I know for a fact that TM does not do any load balancing in terms of individual LTE users, the only load balancing that is done is in terms of the backhaul contention between 3G and LTE.

As oomdomy mentioned, the poor UL performance is due to the fact that TM uses TDD, with only a small portion of the bandwidth (Time Slots) assigned to UL.
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

My Afrihost LTE SIM arrived yesterday but no LTE service. :( Guess the provisioning request got lost in translation. So for now, I'm back on Telkom Mobile LTE.

Today I'm getting 25Mbps but yesterday I was only slightly above 10Mbps! My tower seems to have really taken a nose dive.
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

To make sure my wireless isn't messing around, I tested now on my phone over wireless, on a Dell UltraBook over wireless and via direct LAN connection to the B593. All the same, 20Mbps.

892766871.png


Going to go ahead and order Afrihost LTE now and hope I get these results from Jan 2014:

744757875.png

Interestingly (or maybe no surprise at all to those who understand the technical aspects better) MTN LTE (Afrihost Mobile), is running at a similar speed to Telkom Mobile. Pings are a bit better and of course I get very high upload speeds of around 20Mbps.

So my tower, for both Telkom Mobile and MTN, has vastly downgraded LTE download speeds.

It was an interesting exercise nonetheless. I'll continue to run Afrihost Mobile for a while and see how things go.
 
Last edited:
My experience is similar, tried both but TM won out in the end due to better VOIP stability.
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

See, I tested VoIP on both service providers at the beginning of the year and there wasn't a tangible difference. The problem with VoIP on the B593 is that the B593 kills UDP traffic. It doesn't seem to matter who the service provider is.
 
Last edited:
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

Please edit out the other post info and just leave your speed test and location? You've posted exactly the same thing across at least 3 threads.

Btw there is a classifieds section. ;)
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X