Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

3537357522.png


http://www.speedtest.net/result/3537357522.png

Hauwei B593-601 60+60 GB Prepaid

:D
 
Last edited:
Off topic but just a question here. Does the frequency that Telkom Mobile use for LTE travel futher than that of Vodacom and MTN?

Th reason I'm asking is cause sadly Telkom Mobile only has 1 LTE tower in the whole Richards Bay sharing a mast with Vodacom and MTN which has LTE on the same tower but I can't pick that LTE up from them. They have like MAX 2KM range and then thats about pushing it. That tower is like 6km from me and I am able to still pick up LTE signal in my LTE mifi in the house with no antenna. The speeds are sub 10Mbps but still very impressive distance.

The latency is not too bad aswell and is quite stable.

TM uses 2300, it has a lower wavelength than what VC and MTN are using, so essentially the footprint of their towers is smaller. However, comparing two networks is not so easy, as their antennas could be facing in a different direction etc. So maybe you just happen to be in a good line-of-sight with reference to TM's antennas. What devices are you using to test both networks, as most 2300TDD compatible devices don't support the lower bands for LTE?
 
Telkom Mobile uses TDD LTE, so I think from the 20Mhz about 2Mhz is configured for upload, the remaining 18Mhz is dedicated for downlink, even if your LTE tower has 100Mbps backhaul your upload/download depends the allocated bandwidth.

This is the exact reason for the non-symmetry between upload and download on TM.
 
TM uses 2300, it has a lower wavelength than what VC and MTN are using, so essentially the footprint of their towers is smaller. However, comparing two networks is not so easy, as their antennas could be facing in a different direction etc. So maybe you just happen to be in a good line-of-sight with reference to TM's antennas. What devices are you using to test both networks, as most 2300TDD compatible devices don't support the lower bands for LTE?

I'm using a Huaweii E5776 afrihost mifi.

I can assure you that I'm no where near that tower. Its so far way that it might take me 10-15min to drive to it. There are tons of high trees and buildings in the way. That signal is really travelling so far I was really really shocked. I know the signal comes from that tower because that is the only LTE tower in the whole of Richards Bay. Standing next to it gives full signal and moving in ANY direction away from it drops signal so I know that is the only tower I'm getting signal from.
 
That's either only 3G, you only have 1 bar LTE or the tower needs adjustment. Your upload is the problem.
 
That's either only 3G, you only have 1 bar LTE or the tower needs adjustment. Your upload is the problem.

Yip, 1 bar of signal. I'm out of coverage according to the map. I haven't even tried to optimise the signal yet. Why bother, with 22Mbps?
 
I think you will find your results will differ wildly from day to day. Let us know...
 
I am receiving acceptable LTE speeds on Telkom Mobile Network but still see room for improvement. Average speed receiving roughly19-22 meg download and 7-9 meg upload, haven't seen faster than that in my area with the router I am use on a frequent basis. (primary) tried another router and was highly impressed at the speeds.
 
Personally... i don't mind that the upload speed is at around 7-8mbit (not as if you want to upload at 20mbit)

Download can go upto 150mbit or whatever is possible. I wouldn't mind an LTE connection that could pull 150mbit. But the data is so pricey.
 
Checked my speed last night and it was down again. Mid 20's. Methinks I must connect an antenna again.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X