Telkom Night Surfer Data

TheBuffaLo

Does anybody know if the 100GB option gets throttled between midnight and 1AM? Every single day I consistently get lousy speeds for that entire hour. Browsing sucks. Torrenting sucks. It takes me almost a minute just to download a 1MB wallpaper from Alphacoders. Then after 1AM download speed increases significantly.
My 100gb night surfer got throttled. Bought it to download games, but they’ll never finish with this 0.5mbps speeds.
Apparently some people’s don’t get throttled. But mine definitely did. At 07:03 my speed boosted to 7mbps.

Azg

Expert Member
I wonder whether anyone can provide an explanation for Telkom throttling between midnight and 7:00am? Last night it was back with a vengeance. I thought you would want people to shift their downloads to that period, then manage the daytime traffic.

D3ath$n1P3r

Honestly this 100 GB deal from Telkom is just a waste of time. I bought it to do updates and install steam games. Turns out I have to download certain 'huge' games in pieces between several nights just so I can download my games and use up the data. Looks like the 100 GB deal is just a waste of money if you do not have the patience, like me, to do your updates and installations over several nights. In the end, Telkom benefits from taking people for a huge ride with this scam. Also, my speeds are horrific. Max 1.0 MB/S (roughly 8 mbps). Still wondering how some people are not throttled?

Gudnews

Expert Member
I still get the R59 450GB but these days I suspect it gets shaped. Uploads are still normal but downloads are limited to 4 Mbits if several speed tests over several days are anything to go by. My downloads do return to normal at some point - not entirely sure at what time though.

Kiemo

Expert Member
I still get the R59 450GB but these days I suspect it gets shaped. Uploads are still normal but downloads are limited to 4 Mbits if several speed tests over several days are anything to go by. My downloads do return to normal at some point - not entirely sure at what time though.
What’s the point they do that if it’s limited data ?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Via which price plan and USSD option do you get that rate?

Azg

Expert Member
It's a misstep on their part for sure. Night data should be used to encourage heavy users to schedule downloads off-peak.
Agreed. But it seems someone at Telkom has decided that Night Data is lost income.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Agreed. But it seems someone at Telkom has decided that Night Data is lost income.
I don't think so if I understand your meaning of "lost income". I don't think everybody is getting shaped/throttled. By offering the 100GB R149 option (when the others aren't even coming close to this), it shows you that they learned something (like that demand is there) from the Monice 450GB R59 deal (which some of us still get offered by the way). Even with shaping/throttling I still get 30GB of total usage on most days.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Doing speedtests of 140Mbps now. Nightsurfer data is not throttled for me at all.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

AnimateX

Past two mornings have been especially bad, I used to get between 15-20Mbps down. Don't know what's going on exactly.

Screenshot - 12042020 - 00:39:41.png

AnimateX

Probably will drop in speed between 6 and 7 too.

I'm not exactly awake at that time to check, but I suspect there's some timed shaping going on. Can't exactly complain for R59 though, still get a few hundred gigs out of it :p

Dan C

Honorary Master
I'm not exactly awake at that time to check, but I suspect there's some timed shaping going on. Can't exactly complain for R59 though, still get a few hundred gigs out of it :p
Last time I checked they throttled me to exactly 2Mbps between 6 and 7.

ronnie_94

I saw my day time speeds drop to 10mbps which is a 90% drop from normal speeds, complained to Telkom and they advise me that a power cable to my tower or something has been stolen.

However as soon as the clock hits midnight my speeds are back to 80-100 mbps, so I am very skeptical after reading through this thread.

Joseph matane

I saw my day time speeds drop to 10mbps which is a 90% drop from normal speeds, complained to Telkom and they advise me that a power cable to my tower or something has been stolen.

However as soon as the clock hits midnight my speeds are back to 80-100 mbps, so I am very skeptical after reading through this thread.
Wow that's super fast which router are you using