Telkom pilot project to shut down several ADSL exchanges

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I'd be pissed.

Unless "fixed look-a-like" means low latency and I can use 500GBs without an increase in cost.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
What happened to the proposal raised at the LLU hearings / conference hosted by ICASA that Telkom offer these exchanges to other interested parties before switching them off?

MickeyD

RIP
Telkom told MyBroadband in 2014 that of its 1,900 exchanges, about 600 were profitable.

The majority of Telkom’s exchanges – around 1,000, which are not profitable but are also not losing money – will be maintained in their current state.

In the roughly 300 areas with exchanges that are making a loss, Telkom plans to replace its copper-based infrastructure with 3G or LTE.

Here's a follow up question that MyBB can ask Telkom...

How does Randfontein go from being on the top 600 list to being the first to be shut down? Have they moved some of the physical area to another exchange area or is it the original Randfontein exchange boundary area that is impacted?

MickeyD

RIP
Randfontein has been plagued by cable theft, resulting in poor service and a steady degradation of the copper infrastructure in the area.

Or is it purely due to cable theft?

crackersa

Honorary Master
This will also impact isp's out there as they will lose customers unless they are allowed to resell the lte option

Lupus

Honorary Master
How about actually selling adsl and maintaining it, I am the only ADSL user in my complex of 34 units that has ADSL mainly because it took almost four years and the maximum is 4mbps. So no one else bothered.

Swa

Honorary Master
Great, give more ISPs an opportunity to provide fibre. Can we just euthanise this old dinosaur?

vangend

Our company have a small branch in Randfontein using an ADSL line, the line has been down for about 3 hours in the last two years. So I have no idea where in Randfontein they steal the cables.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Great, give more ISPs an opportunity to provide fibre. Can we just euthanise this old dinosaur?
Fibre isn't the answer to phasing out Telkom. For many, including me, Telkom ADSL is the only available broadband option. While it might not be the best at times, it does what I expect it to do, so I'm happy with it.

If someone was willing to throw fibre at my direction, I'd be more than happy to go for it, but most people out there don't care about fibre. They just want an Internet connection, nothing more. If it allows them to send emails, they are happy.

cobusv

How about actually selling adsl and maintaining it, I am the only ADSL user in my complex of 34 units that has ADSL mainly because it took almost four years and the maximum is 4mbps. So no one else bothered.

At least you got 4mb, in greenhills the max is 2mb when you lucky, have been fighting this battle for 2 years now, telkom is just not interested.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Expect this scenario to be repeated all over SA in the coming years.

Elax

I wish they would bring this wireless option to people that can't get ADSL because Telkom don't want to replace lines anymore due to cable theft.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I am surprised that competitors have not taken Telkom to the competition commission. Removing ADSL exchanges will pretty much monopolise Telkom's offering in that area without any other option (except mobile data through SPs). If I was Telkom, I would actually do the same since the majority of ADSL/VDSL users are actually only using Telkom for the access to the line.

So it is a quick win to shut down exchanges and move users over to 3G/LTE and immediately profit from this. There is hardly any other option. If this was happening in my area, I would challenge Telkom for anti-competitive behaviour. Just a pity that neither ISPA, ICASA or any other consumer body will do anything about it.

MickeyD

RIP
Is there a list of proposed exchanges to be moved over to FLLA?
I would think so, yes.

But it will never be published!

At the ICASA LLU workshop in March 2014, Telkom raised this possibility of switching off exchanges and moving the existing customers on to a wireless technology.

It was then proposed:

There is scope for a trial of LLU to take place at a currently underutilised rural Telkom exchange. This will be arranged and a working group is to be established (comprising TSA, IS and the MNOs).
Source: http://www.ellipsis.co.za/local-loop-unbundling_wholesale-open-access/

This, to my knowledge, has NOT happened.

So this is a gentle reminder to ICASA, Telkom and the other roleplayers... have they all forgotten about this ???

Odracir

Expert Member
With this switch, will the consumer still have to pay telkom tax since there will be no more landlines to maintain?
All I'm interested in is having an internet connection. I don't need Telkom's landline anymore.

system32

Expert Member
However, a resident in the area contacted MyBroadband to raise concerns that he will not be able to keep his uncapped broadband service after switching to Telkom’s wireless access network.
What happens if the Line and data are with another ISP?
I guess, if the exchange is old and only offers 4Mbps ADSL, then changing to a rate limited 4Mbps LTE will cope, especially if the 20:1 rule is applied, where you are only guaranteed 0.2Mbps.