Telkom Usage Being Stolen

johanhorak

Hi All

I need some advice and thinking of moving my 3 gig telkom account to somewhere else.

I had a problem with my usage being consumed more that I expect. A lot more.
I contacted Telkom Abuse and they told me it's my problem.

I suspected telkom shares my pass info with friends. But I had no proof.

I did all the virus checks, reset my passwords and monitored my usage daily.

The usage was more than what I though it should be but not yet excessive. Until yesterday.

Here is a copy of the emails I get from Telkom: It jumped in one day from 1.4 to above 4gigs. Possible but wasn't me! But what does it help. Last month I paid for extra and it's seems I'll have to do it again.

Or I go somewhere else where there's control.

Can you please advise me on what I should do.

Here is the emails I got from telkom:

A friendly notification that according to our records your online usage as at [2008-8-10 00:00:01] reflected the following:

Username :
Uploaded : 297MB or [0.29GB]
Downloaded : 4.01GB
Combined Total : 4.30GB
Service threshold : 3.00GB
Percentage used : 143.36%

Please bear in mind that this is a usage-based subscription and, as such, is subject to a service threshold. Thresholds are the accumulated total of both your uploaded (sending) and downloaded (receiving) data, which includes the network overheads.
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 5:18 AM, <adslfeedback@telkomsa.net> wrote:

Dear subscriber

A friendly notification that according to our records your online usage as at [2008-8-9 00:00:01] reflected the following:

Username :
Uploaded : 211MB or [0.20GB]
Downloaded : 1.19GB
Combined Total : 1.40GB
Service threshold : 3.00GB
Percentage used : 46.84%

Grouter

Executive Member

johanhorak

Hi As soon as I noticed this issue I send telkom abuse an email and I changed my password again. For what it's worth. Johan

general_koffi

Expert Member
Change ISPs, for God's sake.

Webafrica, Openweb, Sainet... Does it really matter, as long as it's not these fools?

By the way, are you using the default password on your router? Make sure you change that.

Grouter

Executive Member
Some forumites here have reported seeing lists of valid accounts with usernames and passwords being offered for sale or just plain being given away.

I had a telkom tech at my house once testing my adsl line. He took out a 100wr mega router to test with, and I asked him was that his username on the router. He tells me " No - I just replaced this for a customer with a new router" . So where does that router end up? And still with the customers username & password on it? I for one would have at least reset it to default before the tech took it, or preferably bricked it completely (literally).

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If you're really paranoid, then use Axxess prepaid.

Bandwidth theft really is a pain in the behind.

pk007_za

Change the admin password on your router. You're not using the standard admin password for Telkom routers now are you ?

Pk

.Froot.

Executive Member
I think the whole issue here is that broadband is being stolen out of the domain of the subscriber (not having anything to do with the router or its password)

bonobo_slr

The easiest way to identify if your usage has been used by someone else (or from another location rather) is by looking at the NAS port in the accounting logs. If the NAS port is the same, then unfortunately, your router has consumed the usage. If not, then your usage has been chowed by someone else.

If it is the former, then changing ISPs is going to make no difference.

.Froot.

Executive Member
The easiest way to identify if your usage has been used by someone else (or from another location rather) is by looking at the NAS port in the accounting logs. If the NAS port is the same, then unfortunately, your router has consumed the usage. If not, then your usage has been chowed by someone else.

If it is the former, then changing ISPs is going to make no difference.

This has already been mentioned....

pk007_za

I think the whole issue here is that broadband is being stolen out of the domain of the subscriber (not having anything to do with the router or its password)

Actually,

Since its pretty much public knowledge what Telkoms ADSL IP Ranges are, its easy enough to scan the range for the web interface to the router, use the (very unsecure) admin password to go in and get the ADSL Account/username.

Its a well documented hack, its happening everyday and it is a huge contributor to stolen bandwidth.

Pk

.Froot.

Executive Member
Actually,

Since its pretty much public knowledge what Telkoms ADSL IP Ranges are, its easy enough to scan the range for the web interface to the router, use the (very unsecure) admin password to go in and get the ADSL Account/username.

Its a well documented hack, its happening everyday and it is a huge contributor to stolen bandwidth.

Pk

Maybe, if you can get the username and password. Netgear routers store the config file in cleartext (as with the username and password), whilst other routers store it in binary form, sometimes even in encrypted form.

bonobo_slr

Actually,

Pk

Which means that changing ISPs will not make a bit of difference...