The 2013-14 Premier Soccer League thread

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It's that time again, a new season is about to get underway. The season will once again be made up of the 16 ABSA Premiership, the 8 team MTN 8, the 16 team Telkom Knockout (league cup), and 32 team Nedbank Cup (national cup).

The 16 teams in the PSL are:

Ajax Cape Town
Amazulu
Bloemfontein Celtic
Free State Stars
Golden Arrows
Kaizer Chiefs
Mamelodi Sundowns
Maritzburg United
Moroka Swallows
Mpumalanga Black Aces
Orlando Pirates
Platinum Stars
Polokwane City
Supersport United
University of Pretoria
Wits University

The league get's started this Friday, and ends on 10 May 2014. The MTN 8 starts on 10 August and ends with the final on 21 September. The Telkom Knockout starts on 2 October and the final is on 30 November. The Nedbank Cup starts on 19 February, and the final is on 17 May.

Weekend fixtures:
PSL
Friday
20:00 Black Aces v Kaizer Chiefs Mbombela Stadium (SuperSport 4)
Saturay
15:00 Moroka Swallows v University of Pretoria Dobsonville Stadium (SuperSport 4)
15:00 Golden Arrows v Ajax Cape Town King Zwelithini Stadium (SABC 1)
20:15 SuperSport United v Free State Stars Lucas Moripe Stadium (SABC 1)
20:15 Maritzburg Utd v Polokwane City Harry Gwala Stadium (SuperSport 4)
Sunday
15:00 Bloem Celtic v Mamelodi Sundowns Free State Stadium (SuperSport 4)
15:00 Platinum Stars v Wits Royal Bafokeng Stadium (SABC 1)

CAF CL
Sunday
22:00 Al Ahly vs Orlando Pirates 30 June Stadium

cr@zydude

Executive Member
There hasn't been too much of a shake up of PSL coaches, yet, but expect the madness to start early in the season. So far, Gavin Hunt has left SSU and gone to Wits. Clive Barker went from Wits to Mpumalanga Black Aces, and Gavin Johnson went from Platinum Stars to SSU. Platinum Stars have yet to announce a new head coach.

The league has a new permanent CEO in Brand de Villiers. He was a Blue Bulls director and was involved with SAIL, which also controlled the Vodacom Challenge. His main aims are to stabilise the league, reduce ill perceptions, and increase crowd attendance.

I'm tipping Wits to do really well this season. They have been buying cleverly, and under Barker last season, they started to come good. I can see them pushing Chiefs for most of the season.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm just waiting to see what matches we get here in PE.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'm just waiting to see what matches we get here in PE.
I don't think that we are getting anything. Maritzburg United have announced that all home matches are at Harry Gwala this season. The current fixtures only have Polokwane City to finalise fixtures, and that's likely a toss up of which matches to take to Peter Mokaba. It looks like PE's on for a sad season. Maybe Access will wake up and bid for a cup final for once.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't think that we are getting anything. Maritzburg United have announced that all home matches are at Harry Gwala this season. The current fixtures only have Polokwane City to finalise fixtures, and that's likely a toss up of which matches to take to Peter Mokaba. It looks like PE's on for a sad season. Maybe Access will wake up and bid for a cup final for once.
I'd heard about MU but these things are always subject to change. The stadium management seemed fairly confident we'd be getting some matches.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'd heard about MU but these things are always subject to change. The stadium management seemed fairly confident we'd be getting some matches.
I really hope that we do get matches. I have also read that Bay Stars may play in the NFD next season, edging PE closer to having a PSL team again.

Platinum Stars have announced their new coach:

KickOff.com can confirm that Allan Freese is the new permanent coach of Platinum Stars.

Freese, with Willem Jackson as his assistant, had taken over on an interim basis following Cavin Johnson’s departure that was engulfed in controversy.

Now that the issue with Johnson is water under the bridge after the two parties smoked a peace pipe and parted ways in good terms, Dikwena have wasted no time in appointing a new permanent coach.

“We will formalise it today, but that is the decision that we made,” Stars’ football manager Senzo Mazingisa tells us. “So Willem will assist Allan,” he adds.
Kickoff

I am looking forward to watching all the matches when I can. I think every team did well during off season in preparation and this will be an excited season. Jimmy Tau's retirement was upsetting because I wanted to watch him play again. I don't wish to comment on who I think will finish the season as the top goal scorer, or the team that will take home the ABSA Premier League Cup.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I am looking forward to watching all the matches when I can. I think every team did well during off season in preparation and this will be an excited season. Jimmy Tau's retirement was upsetting because I wanted to watch him play again. I don't wish to comment on who I think will finish the season as the top goal scorer, or the team that will take home the ABSA Premier League Cup.
The guy got a raw deal from Chiefs, if they weren't going to give him a contract, and he was ready to retire, they could have at least given him a benefit match.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Black Aces lost 0-1 to Chiefs last night. The bigger talking point was Aces playing Mabhuti Khenyeza, who is suspended for 12 months. Chiefs have lodged an appeal with the PSL.

I really hope that we do get matches. I have also read that Bay Stars may play in the NFD next season, edging PE closer to having a PSL team again.
This morning's Weekend Post has an article about another attempt to buy Maritzburg United. Access is saying that they can't be a 'rugby only' stadium, and that this will probably be their last chance to land Maritzburg, but that the owners are still interested.. The municipality says that it can't be done this year, but that they want the team in PE for next season. Access says that the team will be re-branded should it move.

I really hope that this does happen, as Bay Stars don't seem to be near to winning promotion to the NFD yet. The stadium can really do with a football tenant.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekend results:

Black Aces 0 - 1 Kaizer Chiefs
SuperSport United 4 - 1 Free State Stars
Maritzburg Utd 1 - 0 Polokwane City
Moroka Swallows 1 - 0 University of Pretoria
Golden Arrows 1 - 1 Ajax Cape Town
Platinum Stars 0 - 0 Wits
Bloem Celtic 1 - 3 Mamelodi Sundowns

There's only one PSL match this week:
Thursday
19:00 Orlando Pirates v AmaZulu FNB Stadium

MTN8 quarter finals:
Friday
18:00 Wits v Bloem Celtic Bidvest Stadium (SS4)
Saturday
15:00 Platinum Stars v Free State Stars Royal Bafokeng Stadium (SuperSport 4 and SABC 1)
20:15 Kaizer Chiefs v University of Pretoria FNB Stadium (SuperSport 4)
Sunday
15:00 Orlando Pirates v SuperSport United Mbombela Stadium (SuperSport 4 SABC 1)

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekend results:

Pirates 0-1 Amazulu
Wits 3-0 Celtic
Platinum Stars 3-0 FS Stars
Chiefs 3-0 Tuks
Pirates 2 (4)-(3) 2 SSU

There aren't any PSL matches this week due to the international break, but Pirates have a CAF CL Match.

Saturday
20:00 Orlando Pirates vs Zamalek(Egypt) Orlando Stadium (SS4 and SABC1)

cr@zydude

Executive Member
There are no mid-week matches this week, the Ajax vs Pirates match was postponed.

MTN semi-finals, first legs:

Saturday
15:00 Kaizer Chiefs v Orlando Pirates FNB Stadium
Sunday
15:00 Platinum Stars v Wits Royal Bafokeng Stadium

cr@zydude

Executive Member
MTN 8 results:

Chiefs 0-1 Pirates
Platinum Stars 4-2 Wits

Mid-week PSL fixtures:

Tuesday
19:30 Kaizer Chiefs v Moroka Swallows FNB Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 AmaZulu v Black Aces Princess Magogo Stadium (SuperSport Blitz)

Wednesday
18:00 Free State Stars v Maritzburg Utd Charles Mopeli Stadium (SABC 1)
19:30 University of Pretoria v SuperSport United Tuks Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 Mamelodi Sundowns v Platinum Stars Loftus Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 Wits v Golden Arrows Bidvest Stadium (SABC 1)
19:30 Polokwane City v Bloem Celtic Peter Mokaba Stadium

Ajax aren't playing, as Pirates are leaving to Egypt on Tuesday, for their Champions League match.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The league is back in action this weekend, fixtures:

Friday
20:00 Wits v Ajax Cape Town Bidvest Stadium SuperSport 4
Saturday
15:00 University of Pretoria v Bloem Celtic Tuks Stadium SuperSport 4
15:00 Free State Stars v Platinum Stars Goble Park SABC 1
18:00 AmaZulu v Moroka Swallows Moses Mabhida Stadium SuperSport 4
20:15 Kaizer Chiefs v Maritzburg Utd FNB Stadium SuperSport 4 and SABC 1
Sunday
15:00 Black Aces v SuperSport United Mbombela Stadium SABC 1
15:00 Polokwane City v Golden Arrows Peter Mokaba Stadium SuperSport 4

CAF CL
Saturday
15:30 AC Leopards(Congo) vs Orlando Pirates Supersport 4

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The league is back in action this weekend, fixtures:

Friday
20:00 Wits v Ajax Cape Town Bidvest Stadium SuperSport 4
Saturday
15:00 University of Pretoria v Bloem Celtic Tuks Stadium SuperSport 4
15:00 Free State Stars v Platinum Stars Goble Park SABC 1
18:00 AmaZulu v Moroka Swallows Moses Mabhida Stadium SuperSport 4
20:15 Kaizer Chiefs v Maritzburg Utd FNB Stadium SuperSport 4 and SABC 1
Sunday
15:00 Black Aces v SuperSport United Mbombela Stadium SABC 1
15:00 Polokwane City v Golden Arrows Peter Mokaba Stadium SuperSport 4

CAF CL
15:30 AC Leopards(Congo) vs Orlando Pirates Stade Denis Sassou Nguesso Supersport Select

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekend results:

Wits 1-0 Ajax
Kaizer Chiefs 2 - 0 Maritzburg Utd
AmaZulu 1 - 0 Moroka Swallows
Free State Stars 0 - 0 Platinum Stars
University of Pretoria 2 - 0 Bloem Celtic
Black Aces 1-1 SSU
Polokwane 1-2 Golden Arrows
AC Leopards 1-0 Pirates

SSU lead on 10 points, followed by Amazulu with 9. At the bottom Polokwane are still on zero, as are Pirates. Pirates will need at least a draw in their last CL match to advance to the semis.

Mid-week fixtures:

Tuesday
19:30 Ajax Cape Town v Mamelodi Sundowns Cape Town Stadium
19:30 Bloem Celtic v Kaizer Chiefs Free State Stadium SuperSport 4
19:30 Bidvest Wits v AmaZulu Bidvest Stadium SABC 1
Wednesday
18:00 Golden Arrows v Free State Stars King Zwelithini Stadium SABC 1
19:30 SuperSport United v Moroka Swallows Lucas Moripe Stadium SABC 1
19:30 Platinum Stars v University of Pretoria Royal Bafokeng Stadium
19:30 Orlando Pirates v Polokwane City Orlando Stadium
19:30 Maritzburg Utd v Black Aces Harry Gwala Stadium SuperSport 4

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The season has its first coaching casualty, Duncan Lechesa from Polokwane City. Most sources say that he was fired, he claims that he wasn't:

Duncan Lechesa insists he left Polokwane City due to personal reasons and that he was not fired.
Kickoff

The assistant coach and team manager have also left the club. Ian Palmer is tipped to take over.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Mid-week results:

Celtic 0-0 Chiefs
Wits 1-1 Amazulu
Ajax 2-2 Sundowns
Goldern Arrows 0-1 FS Stars
Maritzburg 2-0 Black Aces
Platinum Stars 1-0 Tuks
SSU 1-2 Swallows
Pirates 1-0 Polokwane

SSU, Swallows and Amazulu are all on 10 points, Polokwane City is yet to score a point. A special well done to Wits, their match last Friday against Ajax was a sell out.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekend results:

PSL
Swallows 1-1 Maritzburg
Sundowns 2-1 Wits
Amazulu 1-1 SSU
Chiefs 2-1 Platinum Stars
Polokwane 2-0 Ajax
Tuks 2-0 Golden Arrows

Pirates drew 0-0 with Al Ahly, to finish 2nd in their group. They advance to the semi-finals, where they will face Esperance of Tunisia.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Pirates drew 1-1 with Chiefs, to win 2-1 on aggregate.
Platinum Stars beat Wits 2-1, to win 6-3 on aggregate.

Pirates will play Platinum Stars in the MTN 8 final on Saturday at Moses Mabhida Stadium.

There's only 1 PSL match this week:

Wednesday
19:30 Black Aces v Bloem Celtic Mbombela Stadium