The Banting/LCHF Thread

Today Marks exactly one year since I decided to change they way I lived and started going LCHF. Feels like just yesterday I cleaned out the cupboard and went to the supermarket to stock up on a whole lot of new ingredients. The first two weeks were tough, and that keto flu headache in the beginning was crazy. The toughest thing in the beginning was actually just the time it took to prep meals, and trying way to many complicated things. A year on and my staple for my daytime meal is a piece of steak and 3 eggs. There is definitely truth in the keep it simple mantra.

So 1 year on 66kgs down, well actually really 11 months because I stepped on a scale for the first time at he end of Febraury. Really hoping to hit 70kgs down by then.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread because it has been a huge help and inspiration over the year.

Jakkels1991

Expert Member
Today Marks exactly one year since I decided to change they way I lived and started going LCHF. Feels like just yesterday I cleaned out the cupboard and went to the supermarket to stock up on a whole lot of new ingredients. The first two weeks were tough, and that keto flu headache in the beginning was crazy. The toughest thing in the beginning was actually just the time it took to prep meals, and trying way to many complicated things. A year on and my staple for my daytime meal is a piece of steak and 3 eggs. There is definitely truth in the keep it simple mantra.

So 1 year on 66kgs down, well actually really 11 months because I stepped on a scale for the first time at he end of Febraury. Really hoping to hit 70kgs down by then.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread because it has been a huge help and inspiration over the year.
Sheeesuz!!! well done mate!!!

@spargish ! wow ! Amazing! well done,! I am sure it must feel life changing!
It most definitely does. Its the small things that are actually so liberating. Don't get me wrong I'm still a huge person and still have a lot of weight to lose but there are so many things I can do/don't have to worry about now.

I remember a year ago when I went for my first walk after work, probably about 800m with a tiny uphill section. I had to take a break 3 times, and I felt like dying afterwards. Now my almost daily walk of 2.5km feels like a stroll, I take part in park runs regularly.

I had a friend who had a brother who was at least as big as I was, he was involved in a car accident and because his seat belt didn't fit he suffered horrendous injuries and sadly didn't make it. That was always in the back of my mind, now my seat belt fits with plenty of room to spare :)

When ever there is a temptation I think of things like this and its pretty easy to keep strong.

abudabi

Expert Member
I've kinda gone keto and cut out all heavy carb foods (bread, sweets, chips ,rice , potatoes etc.) for probably 4 weeks now. Earlier tonight I had some potato but jeepers my tummy is feeling blegh now... I'm guessing my body has adapted and it's it not used to it anymore?

tRoN

Executive Member
This what I do once every 7 days:

Bullet proof coffee for breakfast.
Skip lunch.
Start eating carbs at 3pm until 10pm.
I eat around 300 to 400 grams of carbs including sweets and any junk I've been craving.

By 10pm I'm out of Ketosis, but I'm back in Ketosis the next morning as verified by both blood testing and breath testing.
What’s the benefit of this weekly carb binging?

APoc184

Honorary Master
Reset Ghrelin (hormone that makes you feel hungry) and Leptin (hormone that makes you feel satiated) levels.
Replenish glycogen levels in muscles.

But I would not recommend it unless you are super disciplined and working out religiously.
So easy for a simple carb up meal to turn into a 3 or 4 day binge. Sugar really is highly addictive and brings out the urges.

mister

Executive Member
Apoc is right on the money.

So easy for a simple carb up meal to turn into a 3 or 4 day binge. Sugar really is highly addictive and brings out the urges.
It's easy when you start at 3pm, end at 10pm, and then off to bed. Never had any cravings in the morning. In fact I'm finding it really easy to completely fast the next day.... I'm not remotely interested in food after the binge.

Edit: I don't work out.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Apoc is right on the money.

It's easy when you start at 3pm, end at 10pm, and then off to bed. Never had any cravings in the morning. In fact I'm finding it really easy to completely fast the next day.... I'm not remotely interested in food after the binge.

Edit: I don't work out.
I know I can also do it because I have the discipline to jump straight back on the wagon. And because I do these cheat days/meals with a clear goal in mind. (I do mine only about every 4-5 weeks).

But not everybody is as strict and the mind is a powerful thing. You can convince yourself of just about anything if you really want to. I have had my fair share of slip ups over the past 6 years.
eg. Already had one slice of bread so I already fcked up so might as well go all out and do the ice cream, pizza and beer as well. Afterwards and probably the next morning you feel like crap because of the carbs and just say screw it and continue with some cornflakes for breakfast, burger and chips for lunch and and and. Feel like crap so skip exercise. Before you know it you spent a week eating like crap and no exercise and have to motivate yourself to get back at it.

I mainly do the carb up for glycogen levels because of my intense workouts. If it was not for that I would probably just do a normal day or two of eating way above maintenance calories to do the hormone levels reset. Carbs are not necessary for that, just excess calories.