The Banting/LCHF Thread

InvisibleJim

Quick check in/update. Started January last year at 109 kgs. Had a goal in mind - more size than weight. Reached that comfortably - size 32 Levi jeans (no stretch!) for the Guns n Roses concert. Weight was around 77 - 78 kgs. But from then on it was year end events, bike rally, quiet office (lame excuse) and Christmas/New Year. Weighed in on Monday at 88 kg. Loss for the year was 21 kgs, aiming to get to between 70 and 75 kgs. Need to get the mental side sorted, my biggest problem I have realised.
Don't beat yourself up about the weight you have put back on. Losing 21Kg in itself is a fantastic achievement and in actual fact you've lost 30kg before gaining some back.

No matter what we do with respect to diet and exercise, we are all going to have our ups and downs and plateaus to some degree or another from time to time. You already know how to lose weight, you clearly know that you can lose weight and your aim of 70 to 75kgs shows that you know you can go beyond what you have already achieved.

You are thinking of continuous improvement, lasting changes and overcoming temporary setbacks. I would say you already have the mental side sorted and are ahead of the game.

Bobby 456

It all depends on your body and metabolism. I've also been on it for a number of years now and been losing roughly 45-25-15-10 so it definatley slows down. But there are a number of other benefits for me: sugar, blood pressure , good cholesterol etc. I would experiment and see how it goes, watching your scale and how you feel. Its not an exact science. Would I totally return to carbs? No but I would probably slide along more to the low carb side ( <150carbs /day ) vs my keto ( <25carbs ) per day strict regimen. I have already lightened up but keeping in mind, good healthish carbs vs junk.
I might actually be quite on the low carb side. Not sure if I have been in ketosis in the past months.

Bobby 456

This what I do once every 7 days:

Bullet proof coffee for breakfast.
Skip lunch.
Start eating carbs at 3pm until 10pm.
I eat around 300 to 400 grams of carbs including sweets and any junk I've been craving.

By 10pm I'm out of Ketosis, but I'm back in Ketosis the next morning as verified by both blood testing and breath testing.
This is VERY interesting. How do you feel after eating that many carbs?

Bobby 456

Quick check in/update. Started January last year at 109 kgs. Had a goal in mind - more size than weight. Reached that comfortably - size 32 Levi jeans (no stretch!) for the Guns n Roses concert. Weight was around 77 - 78 kgs. But from then on it was year end events, bike rally, quiet office (lame excuse) and Christmas/New Year. Weighed in on Monday at 88 kg. Loss for the year was 21 kgs, aiming to get to between 70 and 75 kgs. Need to get the mental side sorted, my biggest problem I have realised.
The mental side is definitely a big part of any lifestyle. As long as you feel you are denying yourself it is harder to keep up. There are some great books about this!

FlashSA

Executive Member
4 down since Monday. First week back at work so have been eating biltong and dry wors at will to counter my back to work "depression". I normally lose 3 the first week so I am very happy with 4!

IF_24hr starts next week @ 3 times a week

mister

Executive Member
This is VERY interesting. How do you feel after eating that many carbs?
VERY hot & sweaty. If you do it correctly and your carb levels have been low enough then your body would have stopped producing the enzymes needed to store carbs as fat. Your body then has to burn up the excess carbs as heat.

By the time the morning comes I'm back in ketosis and feeling normal again.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
As your body becomes more efficient at burning ketones your urine levels decline, and so do the breath. But by the time that happens you should know your body fairly well.
Agreed, I can very easily tell when I overstep my carbs even if trying to stretch it. Once tried a small fried chips, felt ill for two days and worked out that alone had 60+ carbs. A little stretch here and there is fine and certain things I indulge in but my taste has always been to more savoury than sweet and I love dark chocalate so I'm good alround :)

Just pastry I miss......croisants etc, unfortunately nothing flakes like proper pastry and we've tried.

bokka1

Expert Member
Do you have the band name for me? I have been on keto for about ten days but am not sure if I am in Ketosis. I have dropped about 4kg in the first few days but I am stagnant now.

Jakkels1991

Expert Member
Do you have the band name for me? I have been on keto for about ten days but am not sure if I am in Ketosis. I have dropped about 4kg in the first few days but I am stagnant now.
I can seem to find the item on Dischem's website. I will take a pic when I get home this afternoon and upload it for you in the morning. But if you need it today. You can ask them at the dispensary for Keto urine strips, its a 5 in one test kit. Its R200ish but there is like 100 strips in there.

spargish

What are your opinion about the Stellenbrau beers that are zero carb? The Craven Craft.
I was pretty skeptical of the 0 carb thing, but tried some over December. Didn't affect my ketosis or weight loss. Some might say its watered down but when its your first beer in 11 months it's pretty darn good.

FYI.. Soweto Gold is also less than 1g according to their website.
Interesting will have to give them a try, much easier to get in JHB

3WA

Executive Member
I just buy the pee strips from dischem
There's your problem. Your body was ejecting all the ketones in your pee instead of burning them for fuel after you had that McFlurry. Pee ketones are notoriously inaccurate. You shouldn't be peeing out your fuel source once you're fat-adapted.

Jakkels1991

Expert Member
There's your problem. Your body was ejecting all the ketones in your pee instead of burning them for fuel after you had that McFlurry. Pee ketones are notoriously inaccurate. You shouldn't be peeing out your fuel source once you're fat-adapted.
So I have been on KETO and fasting for about 5 months now. Every time I do a pee tests there is color is that a bad thing?