The Banting/LCHF Thread

APoc184

Honorary Master
Was browsing reddit and all of the sudden a flood of "Chaffle" posts come up.

Seems it is the latest craze in LC cooking.

Basically 1 egg and 1/2 cup shredded cheese mixed thoroughly. Slap it into a mini waffle iron for a few minutes.

Voila! Straight up snack, bun for burgers/sandwiches and much more.

Endless variations popping up now with sweet and savoury versions adding extra ingredients or using different cheese.

Does look really yummy. If I can find a waffle maker over the weekend I might just give it a go.

43b712a.jpeg

APoc184

Honorary Master
The Chaffle popped up on my twitter TL yesterday as well. Going to give it a try for lunch on Friday
Hope to see some pictures.

I just realised now that I can't remember every seeing a Mini Waffle Maker in the shops. And checking on Takealot now brings up only standard size machines.

I did see some posts of people using regular waffle makers for their Chaffles and then using them as tacos. They just put a little but less mixture in to reduce the thickness.

I think my mother still has a standard sized maker. So will see if I can borrow that over the weekend.

abudabi

Expert Member
Dude.. Great find. I'm so gonna try it. I miss the bread snacks and all the recipes I've tried is too far off the mark.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Dude.. Great find. I'm so gonna try it. I miss the bread snacks and all the recipes I've tried is too far off the mark.
Yeah I am a bit disappointed that I don't have a waffle maker to try it out.

Things like fathead dough and cloud bread is simply too much work. Works okayish but not worth all the effort for me.

These chaffles might just be a game changer.

Can see them being packed for lunches for ourselves and even the kids.

swift412

So I dug out my old waffle maker from the back of the cupboard and decided to give it a shot. Didn't end up as crispy as I was hoping, but that might be because the waffle maker is a bit broken (the latch broke) and doesn't seal properly, so as the waffles chaffles cook they expand and push it open.

Also, unsurprisingly, using mature cheddar gives it a really omelette-like taste.

20190817-Studio Session-012.jpg

But most importantly, can I use them as a sandwich substitute?

20190817-Studio Session-014.jpg

Nope. My attempts came out way too thin and flimsy to support anything. Maybe the round waffles come out thicker because of deeper molds? I have a feeling that bulking the mix up with almond or coconut flour would help a lot too, but that's way too much work.

Lastly: the most important part. Clean up is a schlep. With a non stick pan I can just wipe it with a paper towel, but with a waffle iron I have to clean out all the nooks and crannies and edges (which is mostly my own fault for using a iron that doesn't close properly).

Personally I'll rather just stick to omelettes. I love the idea of the texture and feel of a (lchf) waffle but this just didn't work out for me. YMMV.

APoc184

Honorary Master
My attempts today.

Got an el-cheapo waffle make from Checkers today. R199.00

Because @swift412 mentioned flimsy results I added about 2 teaspoons of almond flour to all my mixes.
Surprisingly mine came out rather firm. Right as you take them out of the maker they are obviously still quite flexible. But only a minute or 2 of cooling down and they firmed up very nicely. Firmer than a slice of bread. (See photo of chaffle balanced on middle finger.)

First two attempts were with cheddar. As Swift mentioned the cheddar version tastes really eggy.
I think I took it out too early the first time and it wasn't as firm and crispy as the second batch, which I left in much longer. I also added a dash of mixed herbs to the second batch to try and get a more italian flavour going. Another reason I think it was firmer and slightly better tasting was because I upped the cheese ratio. Even with almost double the cheese and the herbs the eggy taste was still the main flavour.

Third mixture was with mozzarella and by far the best tasting of the lot. With the mozzarella version the egg taste was almost non-existent and it has a surprisingly halloumi-like taste and texture.

Non-stick el cheapo was no problem cleaning up. Simply had to wipe away some oiliness with a piece of kitchen towel.

I can definitely see myself making these a lot more. And I will most probably stick to mozzarella versions as they don't taste like an omelette at all. Already thinking about some chicken & mayo between two of these for lunch boxes. Or even some crispy bacon bits added to the "batter".

• Photo1 - First attempt. Quite proud of how close it was to product photo. Not as crispy and firm. Eggy taste.
  • Photo2 - Second batch mixture. More cheddar, herbs and left in much longer. Much firmer and even crispiness from cheddar. Still eggy taste
  • Photo3 - Mozzarella version. Clear winner when it comes to taste and texture.
  • Photo4 - Showing firmness. Can easily be used as a carrier or base of some sort.

IMG_0895.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg

swift412

Those look a lot nicer than mine!

Maybe I should've let them cool a bit before judging them. I'll give it another shot when I buy mozzarella, thought I'm not sure what to do about the waffle iron. Maybe if I zip tie it closed it won't leak everywhere :laugh:

spargish

So I was planning on making them, but found that my waffle iron had been borrowed by a family member with out asking :mad:

@Apoc those look amazing, now I just need to get my waffle iron back

swift412

Why cook omelettes in a waffle iron, when instead you can cook... mince?

I knew that somewhere out there, at least one person must have tried to use meat instead of batter...

APoc184

Honorary Master
Chicken Mayo Chaffle Sandwiches.

Mozzarella version again.

I'm still playing around with the recipe and decided to add half a tablespoon of coconut flour instead of almond flour to the mix. Wanted to see how it changes the final product.

My verdict? It makes it much firmer but also a lot drier. No change in taste or crispiness.
I'll probably try it again with the coconut flour but a lot less. Otherwise sticking to almond flour for the moister texture.

abudabi

Expert Member
Best result for me from the lot was 1 egg, 3/4 cup mozzarella and tablespoon almond flour.

I really want to make a batch with crispy bacon bits or perhaps chorizo inside this weekend.
Did your recipe and it came out tops. Was nice and stiff. Even the wife approved of it and that hardly happens with my carb replacement recipes.

View attachment IMG_20190824_123348.jpg

Danielz1

Howdy Gents, I also just discovered the Chaffle - looks amazing and really keen to try it. All the videos I have watched show them being made in the mini waffle makers - I have looked all over the show and can not for the life of me find one. Before I admit defeat and buy a standard waffle maker, wondering if anyone else has had any luck finding a mini one!

APoc184

Honorary Master
Howdy Gents, I also just discovered the Chaffle - looks amazing and really keen to try it. All the videos I have watched show them being made in the mini waffle makers - I have looked all over the show and can not for the life of me find one. Before I admit defeat and buy a standard waffle maker, wondering if anyone else has had any luck finding a mini one!
Also looked everywhere. Nothing local available.
Amazon seems to be the only option for a mini version.

But to be honest. The standard-sized square one you find at most shops (Clicks, Checkers, etc) is actually a perfect size. It makes two at a time and works perfectly for toppings or even as bun/sandwich replacement.
Kids also like them just plain as a snack in the lunchbox. They've actually had more chaffles than us.

Danielz1

Yeah I can't believe no one stocks the mini me's on the southern tip! Well, I guess ill be heading to a checkers or something and getting a standard one, hopefully they come out as good as yours looked @APoc184

I will report back once I have given it a go!

abudabi

Expert Member
Yeah agreed.. Apoc's "1 egg, 3/4 cup mozzarella and tablespoon almond flour" recipe fits perfectly into the std waffle maker for a nice chaffle sandwhich.