The Banting/LCHF Thread

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
Made this tonight, and honestly the closest thing I've eaten that reminds me of pasta (cannelloni) even though that wasn't my aim. Damn yummy!

I fried mushrooms, onion, garlic and wilted spinach in a pan with smoked paprika, herbal salt and chilli flakes, then blended with ricotta. Spread that on zucchini ribbons (bought the large ones and used a vegetable peeler to make the ribbons), then topped with a mix of mozzarella, parmesan, lemon juice and bacon spice, and baked in oven. Delicious!

3WA

Executive Member
I tried my first chaffle but i don't have a waffle iron so I just used a cast iron pan.

10/10 delicious cheesy omelette.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I was JUST thinking today I need donuts in my life. Thanks for the share. You tried them? What they like?
If you get it right, very soft and vary tasty. That photo is our third attempt, the first flopped terriably. My wife is the baker and she said it is quite a technical process but it was so worth it. You can use the same pastry for eclairs etc and we will try it out.

BUT, word of advice, use a mould. The first batch we didn't, and the dough spread too thin and it burnt. The temperature switching was off for us, so you need to watch the first lot you do very carefully and judge it. We found that they came out super soft and actually turned the grill on for like 30 secs to harden the upper crust, the bottom in the silicon mould was fine.

tRoN

Executive Member
Guys. Any idea what vitamins i should be taking on keto.
Currently I get awAy with a cappuccino in the morning and just one meal at night.

I don’t feel hungry in the day and just have water. Maintained my weight

axsis

Currently I get awAy with a cappuccino in the morning and just one meal at night.

Most vitamin and mineral supplements get pissed out or aren't that bio-available (easily absorbed) in the first place. Save your money, eat some steak.

If you feel you aren't getting enough vitamin A/D in your diet you could perhaps consider cod liver oil (unless you like liver) but really most supplements only really have an effect for extreme deficiencies.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master

I just take a multi vitamin. The one thing that I think keto eaters are likely to be deficient in is vitamin b1.

Also take vitamin d, but then just about everyone should be taking vitamin d.

Kosmik

Honorary Master

I take a meal replacement shake in the morning. Those are normally packed with a lot of vitamins and cover me for anything I may miss.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I take a Ciplaton multivitamin capsule once a day. I may be pi$$ing it all away but I take them just in case

robmac7

Magnesium
Vitamin D
Omega 3

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
Sorry, copy paste from my IG, but this did turn out rather well :giggle:

I felt like a moussaka today, but also wanted that comforting egginess and binding you get from a local well loved South African dish called Bobotie (go google it, it's great!)

So, I decided to do my own version, so here it is, and I'm pleased to say it turned out really well, and damn tasty!

What you'll need:

Mince:
500g lamb mince
1/2 red onion, chopped roughly
4 tbs chermoula spice
2 tbs chilli flakes (adjust based on your heat tolerance)
1/4 can tomato onion mix
1 sachet tomato paste
1 tsp xylitol (or sugar, if you're not carb averse)
Fat of your choice for cooking

Eggplant (brinjal):
3 small eggplant, preferably the striated ones with purple and white streaks
Salt for seasoning
Coconut oil

Sauce:
4 eggs
400g double cream full fat yoghurt

Topping:
Feta

Mince:
Add fat to pan, and fry your onions until translucent, then add your mince and the rest of the ingredients, and turn down the heat to a low simmer. Adjust seasoning as you like. I like to leave mince simmering on a low heat for at least twenty minutes to develop flavour, but you do you.

Eggplant:
Slice the brinjal in 1cm thick slices, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, dust with salt and coat in coconut oil. Bake at 180c for 20 minutes.

Sauce:
Throw your eggs and yoghurt into a big / mixing bowl, and whisk until well blended.

THE BUILD
I used a medium sized baking dish, roughly 16cm squared. Place a thin layer of your cooked mince on the bottom, about a half of your mince. Place half of your baked eggplant in a single layer on top of that, then top with a half of your sauce. Repeat for second layer, and then top with crumbled feta.

Bake at 180c for 30 minutes and serve.

Enjoy!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Keto Lemon pound cake.

Wifes baked, dropping off a taster when picking up the rug rats at lunchtime.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I know that this is not banting - but with a few substitutions it can be. And her ideas look easy and delicious.

Danielz1

Hi All,

So I have jumped back on the LCHF / Keto train again and am really trying to stick to it this time as previously I have felt much better while doing so and also managed to lose a good amount of Kilos.

Anyway, I don't recall having this issue in the past but I am really struggling to keep my electrolytes in check this time. I have read about making a so called Ketogade (Salt, potassium and Magnesium) as a drink. I found lite salt that has potassium + sodium so thats good, but I am not sure where to get magnesium from. Has anyone else decided to make a similar drink, and if so what did you use?

APoc184

Honorary Master
I just pop a slow release magnesium tablet every morning and evening.

Dischem Gold Range has a decent and cheap option.