The Brexit Thread

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

JayM

Expert Member
The negotiated deal, as confirmed by the Brexit Secretary himself when he resigned, is a remain option in all but name.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that a "deal" that leaves all the current status quo in place is the same as remaining.
Unfortunately Brexiteers were promising things like full single market access and the like. Many voted leave based on these promises. The only way to get a consensus in parliament is to put this back to the public - any other option sees labour in power for the next 20 years. I'm sure you must be salivating at that prospect. :crylaugh:

Pitbull

Verboten
Does it go against their current wishes though...?
That is irrelevant though.

There has been whining and crying since the vote. The vote has been done, and it needs to be honored. Simple as that.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So the current will of the people is irrelevant...? Okay then.
Look, we're all pro-choice, but you have to draw a line somewhere, you don't let a mother abort her child when it is already born ... ;)

At some point in life everyone has to take personal responsibility for their own actions and then see it through and make the best of it. Not cry and moan about someone else's actions and pray for a savior to save you from yourself.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
And it doesn't matter that they made their decision based on lies?
No it doesn't, especially seeing as in this case both sides were lying so the argument goes both ways. I have the same amount of sympathy for people who genuinely believed everything they were fed about brexit as I do for people who fall for pyramid schemes i.e. none.

Tander

Executive Member
Look, we're all pro-choice, but you have to draw a line somewhere, you don't let a mother abort her child when it is already born ... ;)

At some point in life everyone has to take personal responsibility for their own actions and then see it through and make the best of it. Not cry and moan about someone else's actions and pray for a savior to save you from yourself.
Exactly. It's done. No going back.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
In that case the conservatives and ukip, who were the biggest liars of the lot, made their bed and must lie in it.
The 24/7 bombardment of anti-brexit propaganda from the likes of the BBC, the government and key members of government like the minister of finance himself could easily give them a run for the title of "biggest liars", I don't think it's that easy to award the title to one or the other.

It is not the "conservatives and ukip" who will lie in the bed they made though, it is all of Britain. Just as all of Britain will lie in the phony bed the "deal" represents, you know, the brand new bed that is actually the same bed you've always had ...

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Won't happen as it goes against the people's wishes.

Not matter how much the left cries and jumps up and down. They lost the vote, there will be hell to pay should they go against the vote which voted - Leave.
Well, there have been precedents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_European_Constitution_referendum,_2005#Amendment_to_the_French_Constitution

The referendum was to reject the Constitution but in the end the Treaty of Lisbon which takes all the elements of the Constitution was ratified through Parliament two years later.

How to subtly cheat a population (the no vote was stupid though and more to show discontent against the Government than really against the Constitution).

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
That is irrelevant though.
So when you said that Brexit is the will of the people you didn't really mean it did you, you just want them to stick to the form of the decision despite what may have changed in the last two years? Nothing wrong with that, but getting pious about the "will of the people" to defened continuing with Brexit is more than a little dishonest.

Why not just admit that it's an awful decision, most people are against but we are going to keep driving the car off the cliff because we voted to drive off it and any new information is irrelevant as we planned the route two years ago.

JayM

Expert Member
The 24/7 bombardment of anti-brexit propaganda from the likes of the BBC, the government and key members of government like the minister of finance himself could easily give them a run for the title of "biggest liars", I don't think it's that easy to award the title to one or the other.

It is not the "conservatives and ukip" who will lie in the bed they made though, it is all of Britain. Just as all of Britain will lie in the phony bed the "deal" represents, you know, the brand new bed that is actually the same bed you've always had ...
I think you'll find the warnings about the economic damage a no deal Brexit will cause is actually spot on, rather than "propaganda". Despite what the lunatic fringe will bleat, there is insufficient public and parliamentary support to get that through; a vote on the final deal is almost inevitable.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
despite what may have changed in the last two years?
Nothing has changed seeing as brexit has not happened yet, so absolutely, see it through before changing your damn mind.
It was all pure speculation during the referendum and it is all pure speculation now. Nothing has changed.

Why not just admit that it's an awful decision, most people are against
Because that would be a false statement which is impossible to prove, all we see are cooked up polls based on pure speculation. Such a coincidence that the polls all represent the status quo that the government so desperately want to maintain huh ...

Pitbull

Verboten
So when you said that Brexit is the will of the people you didn't really mean it did you, you just want them to stick to the form of the decision despite what may have changed in the last two years? Nothing wrong with that, but getting pious about the "will of the people" to defened continuing with Brexit is more than a little dishonest.

Why not just admit that it's an awful decision, most people are against but we are going to keep driving the car off the cliff because we voted to drive off it and any new information is irrelevant as we planned the route two years ago.
No I did.

They made their choice. Unless that choice is fulfilled their choice had not been acted upon has it? Why have voting then? Why do we vote to have parties represent us and our choices? It's like voting the ANC into power and 1 year in everyone realized the ANC is a shyte party but are stuck with them now for 3 more years. Do we now vote again? That's not how things work.

The left were all in tears as they didn't vote, crying about what is going to happen now. Since the very same day the results have come out they wanted another vote. That is not how voting works. The people have made their choice, Government must now act on it. Those who voted can change their minds all they like. It's done.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
It's done.
They can do the Brexit. Vote again in a few years on reentering the EU and I'm sure my fellow Europeans will give them again their very favourable leeway to cherry pick every single item they want or not and their EU subscription rebate. :D