The Brexit Thread

Got your finger on the pulse of the average Brit from 10 000kms away? How can you, a South African, profess to know what they voted for when many of them confess to not knowing that in the first place?
The main Leave campaign slogan was "Take back control". It's pretty obvious what it means:

Take back control of the borders
Take back control of the laws
Take back control of the money

Cray

Honorary Master

buka001

Expert Member
The main Leave campaign slogan was "Take back control". It's pretty obvious what it means:

Take back control of the borders
Take back control of the laws
Take back control of the money
The UK has control of its Borders. The UK is not part of the Schengan agreement.
The UK has control of its laws. It has significant influence in what EU directives can be implemented.
The UK has control of its money. The UK kept its own currency.

Cray

Honorary Master
The UK has control of its Borders. The UK is not part of the Schengan agreement.
The UK has control of its laws. It has significant influence in what EU directives can be implemented.
Hey, but at least they get a blue passport now...:rolleyes: Oh wait, that was never an EU regulation anyway.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
No they don't, being in Schengen or not makes very little difference when you are literally forced by the EU to accept a certain quota of Polish migrants and to pay them social support. Go google it.

False again, they have a pitiful few directives where they are slightly flexible on, the letter of the EU membership agreement / law outright states that all members shall implement certain directives within their domestic legislation. I've posted the doc and exact wording multiple times in the past.

That they did, unfortunately the BoE just parrots the policy decisions of other major central banks, so they may as well have given up their currency as well tbh

Hey, but at least they get a blue passport now...:rolleyes: Oh wait, that was never an EU regulation anyway.
The debating technique known as 'reductio ad absurdum' is unconvincing. I do not give a toss what colour the passport is. That consideration was not part of my voting decision: it was in any event made after the referendum took place. I suppose if you are short of rational arguments your post makes sense.

Got your finger on the pulse of the average Brit from 10 000kms away? How can you, a South African, profess to know what they voted for when many of them confess to not knowing that in the first place?
I am British. I voted in the referendum in Britain. I do know what I voted for, and why. Pitbull is correct in this.

That makes no sense. Never go ahead and do the wrong thing just because of some sense of honour. Do the right thing, even if your honour is besmirched or if there are temporary negative consequences.

In this particular case, the only voters who will mind are those who voted Leave before and would vote Leave again. I doubt there would be that many of them - it seems that the sentiment has changed quite a bit. Those who voted Leave before but changed their minds to Remain will obviously not be upset.
The ratman makes perfect sense. You do not see it because it is not in accordance with how you see things. You lost. Get used to it.

Dave

Honorary Master
I am British. I voted in the referendum in Britain. I do know what I voted for, and why. Pitbull is correct in this.
I am British. I voted in the referendum in Britain. I do know what I voted for, and why. Pitbull is not correct in this.

You’re quite arrogant in trying to pretend you understand why 17 million voted as they did and what they knew, aren’t you?

I am British. I voted in the referendum in Britain. I do know what I voted for, and why. Pitbull is not correct in this.

You’re quite arrogant in trying to pretend you understand why 17 million voted as they did and what they knew, aren’t you?
No, I am very arrogant. It takes one to know one. I think you need to re read the posts carefully.

Cray

Honorary Master
So all the people who say they didn't realise what they voted for where lying? You and Pitbull are welcome to speak for yourselves, it crazy to claim that you know what everyone who voted leave was thinking.

Cray

Honorary Master
The debating technique known as 'reductio ad absurdum' is unconvincing. I do not give a toss what colour the passport is. That consideration was not part of my voting decision: it was in any event made after the referendum took place. I suppose if you are short of rational arguments your post makes sense.
So you are saying that the colour of the passport was never cited by the leave campaign? If it was so inconsequential why was it mentioned and why did it change post Brexit?

And I fully agree, the colour of the passport is absurd, yet apparently it's my fault for pointing out that it was used by members of the leave campaign.