The Brexit Thread

Dave

Honorary Master
By all means,

The article heading summed it up perfectly fine though:

Theresa May set to reveal plan to ditch Irish backstop in bid to win over Brexit deal critics
Which also doesn’t mean the same as your statement.

Is it that difficult for you to admit you were wrong in your original post?

Dave

Honorary Master
This statement:

I think I got it pretty spot on.
I would have to presume you still struggle with some English comprehension then...

Unless (as I already asked) you can post some links or facts to show the veracity of your statement?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I don't think that May will revoke article 50 because most people in the UK wanted Brexit and so she needs to deliver on it. I think they will ask for an extension on article 50.

The Best Brexit deal would have been the Norway deal however the Tories (who didn't want Brexit to start off with) started off the negotiations from a subservient position with the EU and the EU seen this and acted all tough. If May and the Tories had gone in their with we are looking at a "hard Brexit with a couple of European commitments" I think they would of been able to negotiate a Norway type deal quite easily.

It looks like the EU is worrying a bit now that May's current deal has been rejected.
Yeah, I think an extension request is pretty much guaranteed.

A lot of leading Brexiteers (remember Hannan's "absolutely no one said anything about leaving the single market!" refrain?) have been angling for Norway+ for a while, but it's totally out of sync with the more strident advocates.

Although, there is something amusing about many people in the UK thinking they can join the EFTA/EEA (Norway+) simply because they might want to. It's a whole separate negotiation that would have to happen.

Norwegian and Icelandic leaders have poured cold water on it, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oliticians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan
https://qz.com/1488907/norway-isnt-keen-on-the-uks-so-called-norway-option-after-brexit/

I don't think anything's really changed from the EU's perspective, though.

This statement:

I think I got it pretty spot on.
Nope. Take the L, dude.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Brexit uncertainty is a disgrace, says Airbus

Airbus has warned that it could move wing-building out of the UK in the future if there is a no-deal Brexit.

The planemaker's chief executive, Tom Enders, said Airbus "will have to make potentially very harmful decisions for the UK" in the event of no deal.

He said it was a "disgrace" that firms could still not plan for Brexit.

Mr Enders said: "Please don't listen to the Brexiteers' madness which asserts that, because we have huge plants here, we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong."

Dave

Honorary Master
Tory government wheels are falling off, around 20 of her ministers are now pressuring her to rule out no deal, with some very public statements.

Top government ministers pressure Theresa May to rule out 'no-deal' Brexit

Theresa May is under increased pressure to rule out a "no-deal" Brexit from among her top ministers.

Following reports a group of nearly 20 ministers have been meeting to discuss plans to stop a no-deal Brexit, the prime minister faced a series of interventions from members of her government.

Chancellor Philip Hammond repeated his warning that leaving the EU without a withdrawal agreement would be a "betrayal" of the 2016 referendum vote.

Mrs May was also dared to sack her business minister Richard Harrington if she disagreed with him speaking out about the "disaster" of quitting the EU without a deal.
https://news.sky.com/story/top-gove...eresa-may-to-rule-out-no-deal-brexit-11616659

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Tory government wheels are falling off, around 20 of her ministers are now pressuring her to rule out no deal, with some very public statements.

https://news.sky.com/story/top-gove...eresa-may-to-rule-out-no-deal-brexit-11616659
I'm really curious to know what exactly people who are advocating her to rule out no-deal actually want to do. You can't rule it out without actually saying what will happen if you don't get an agreement through! No-deal Brexit is what will happen, if they don't extend and/or no deal is passed.

It will need to either be:

- On X date, if no agreement is passed, an automatic application to extend Article 50 is triggered

Or

- On X date, if no agreement is passed, conditions XYZ come into place.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
GREAT strategy, take the only leverage the UK has off the table, the EU is sure to give you a better deal then ...

/facepalm x 1000

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
No-deal Brexit would mean shortages and price rises, say retailers

Leading retail bosses, including the chief executives of Sainsbury’s, Asda, Marks & Spencer, the Co-op and Waitrose, have written to the government warning of significant disruption to food supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The letter, backed by the British Retail Consortium trade body, also warns that grocery prices are likely to rise, as nearly a third of the food eaten in Britain comes from the EU and would be subject to import tariffs if the UK exits without a trade deal in place.