The Brexit Thread

Dave

Honorary Master
Turns out being a British Citizen no longer means you are automatically eligible for free NHS care if you actually don't live in UK.

That’s been around for quite a few years, I think they brought that in to stop expats who live overseas (like in Spain) from popping back for medical treatment.

I think it might even precede Brexit.

AdrianH

Expert Member
That’s been around for quite a few years, I think they brought that in to stop expats who live overseas (like in Spain) from popping back for medical treatment.

I think it might even precede Brexit.
How did it work when UK was part of EU? I was under the impression healthcare was free to all EU citizens? Or was it more that they have access, but not necessarily free.

Dave

Honorary Master
How did it work when UK was part of EU? I was under the impression healthcare was free to all EU citizens? Or was it more that they have access, but not necessarily free.

I suspect it worked under the same terms, if the EU citizen was ordinarily resident they would be covered, and also if they qualified for reciprocal treatment (an agreement between their country and the UK) as a visitor they would be covered.

AdrianH

Expert Member
I suspect it worked under the same terms, if the EU citizen was ordinarily resident they would be covered, and also if they qualified for reciprocal treatment (an agreement between their country and the UK) as a visitor they would be covered.
I should actually move this to another thread.

What's your opinion about private health insurance. I saw the BBC article earlier this week where there are 4.5 million people waiting for procedures, and 350000 have been waiting over a year.

Reading up and listening to people, they say if you have private health insurance, it allows you to jump the queue because money talks. I know none of them cover A&E visits, it's more for non-emergency prosecures, cancer, surgeries, where you can ultimately skip the waiting list.

Dave

Honorary Master
What's your opinion about private health insurance. I saw the BBC article earlier this week where there are 4.5 million people waiting for procedures, and 350000 have been waiting over a year.

If you feel it’s good value then go for it, I personally don’t think so (but haven’t had any experience with post COVID waiting times). My wife has had more use of the NHS and has never had a really unacceptable waiting time for any procedure.

Remember it only really cuts in once you’ve been diagnosed by the first line of treatment (usually your GP).

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Even the EU's lies, the bullying and demanding, the unethical behavior of trying to blame and punish the UK for their own vaccine failure, to which they backtracked and looked like total *****, the remainers keep quiet, not a peep about this, like ostriches burying their head in the sand.
Here's a thread that lays out the actual facts around this.

Meanwhile EU has exported 10m (mostly Pfizer) doses to UK, while 'UK 1st' clause stops AZ from meeting EU delivery promise from UK plants.
Across the pond, the US export ban has meant Canada, Mexico & Japan have to get their Pfizer doses from EU plants instead. (EU has exported 4.6m doses to Canada, 3.8m to Mexico, 4m to Japan)

Situation particularly absurd for Canada, which must get its Pfizer from Belgium instead of next door in Michigan.
Even US has received vaccine exports from EU: 1 million in February, and 3.9 million doses of Johnson & Johnson a few weeks ago according to the NYT.

J&J doses made in US can't go to EU.

Overall it appears EU has exported half the doses made here.
What mistakes did EU make? To me it seems obvious.

took decisions based on an assumption of a free market and good faith from its partners. They didn’t think forcing an EU partner on BioNTech was essential, or EU plants should be for Europeans 1st.

That now appears naive.

Last edited:

AdrianH

Expert Member
Here's a thread that lays out the actual facts around this.

Thanks for this, interesting read. He did say "It seems like..." which I wondered is it fact or assumption. Briefly read through it and I disagree with the following:

Meanwhile EU has exported 10m (mostly Pfizer) doses to UK, while 'UK 1st' clause stops AZ from meeting EU delivery promise from UK plants.

As for as I know, the UK signed contracts with Pfizer and AZ, not the EU. The fact that the vaccines were manufactured in a country that is a member state of EU doesn't mean the EU exported it, the company manufacturing the vaccines exported it.

Once everything went pear shaped for EU, they try to force AZ and UK into giving vaccines made in UK to EU, and then imposed the rules that the EU are the only ones that can authorize an EU country to export vaccines outside the EU, basically forcing private companies to breach on contracts, not because of their own doing, but the EU wanting the vaccines for its own vaccine program. Of course, this was a major mistake that criticised world wide and they backtracked, and even admitted the mistake a few weeks later.

At the end of the day, the EU is not manufacturing nor exporting these vaccines, private international companies are. The UK was invited to join the EU's vaccine rollout program in 2020, but declined and decided to go it alone. The EU thought the UK would then act as a good old neighbour (1st country) and share, but why would the UK when it was the EU saying "Brexit is Brexit" and "UK is a 3rd country" every week.

But for me, this is the kicker in how the EU believes they should be treated differently and with higher regard than UK. They wanted all plants in EU and UK to provide vaccines to EU program to make up the shortfall, which is a clause in their contract with AZ. BUT, the UK has "1st clause" because they signed up first and negotiated, and the EU ended up the the "best effort" clause with no guarantee of dosages . Why should the EU believe AZ should now break a legal contract with UK so that the EU can hold up it's contract, ignore the "best effort" clause (which they initially did), and then say the only clause that matters is the one about all EU plants including UK will provide vaccines to EU. I do wonder if the EU had not done their usual demanding and telling and actually approached the UK and AZ in a friendly manner what the outcome would have been.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It was always on the cards with the way the Tories shafted the people of Northern Ireland over Brexit, but quite amazing how the little that the BBC actually manages to report on the week long riots currently taking place, it doesn’t actually say why it’s happening.

Calls for calm following attacks on police in NI https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56634052

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You might not think so looking at the news and the main media outlets, but this ain't going away. It's just a pity that the population numbers game means that Jonson will never be held to account for his lies and deceit.

Brexit has been creating tension in loyalist communities for months, with the growing realisation over just how differently Northern Ireland is now being treated from the rest of the UK.
Signs of anger over the new Irish Sea trade border are plastered on walls and lampposts in unionist and loyalist areas.
In these areas it feels that Boris Johnson has betrayed Northern Ireland and there is a backlash.

Last edited:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Lying shyte politicians, violence being justified due to politicians and all the 'good told you so's and 'suck it ups' ....... sick world

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Lying shyte politicians, violence being justified due to politicians and all the 'good told you so's and 'suck it ups' ....... sick world

Who is justifying violence? I'm just saying that this was always going to happen and has been talked about by myself and others in this very thread a couple of years ago already, before any agreements were actually signed. It was inevitable.

buka001

Honorary Master
Who is justifying violence? I'm just saying that this was always going to happen and has been talked about by myself and others in this very thread a couple of years ago already, before any agreements were actually signed. It was inevitable.
Many people warned of this exact situation would take place, as the Johnson deal moved ahead with ignorance.

It was labelled as Project Fear.

I recall BBSA saying the people in Ireland should just get over it.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Many people warned of this exact situation would take place, as the Johnson deal moved ahead with ignorance.

It was labelled as Project Fear.

I recall BBSA saying the people in Ireland should just get over it.

I was looking back through the thread earlier and there were far more than him saying that and worse. July to Oct 2019 there was a lot of discussion on it.

Most people don’t know the history and significance of a hard border in NI I suppose.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
lol, this guy.

Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, has acknowledged that Brexit has caused problems for the region.

In fact, Lewis was hardly the first to acknowledge problems with the Northern Ireland protocol, the post-Brexit arrangement that effectively puts a GB/NI customs border down the Irish Sea, because on 1 January he notoriously posted a tweet saying there was no Irish Sea border.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Trade between the UK and EU partially recovered in February, after a steep drop in January following Brexit.

Official figures show exports to the EU jumped by 46.6%, £3.7bn, to £11.6bn, following January's 42% slump when firms struggled with new trade rules.

surface

Honorary Master
Youtube algorithm suggested this one to me yesterday and I think it is because I was listening to maajid nawaz who is also on LBC. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this guy, James O'brien.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
Where’s our friend Chris? @The_Right_Honourable_Brit

You must be devastated, your man crush Boris in serious sheisse and your hero Dom Cummings is the main protagonist sticking the knife in :ROFL:

Poor Boris, I could almost feel sorry for him…nah, like hell I do :ROFL::p