The Brexit Thread

AdrianH

Expert Member
Where’s our friend Chris? @The_Right_Honourable_Brit

You must be devastated, your man crush Boris in serious sheisse and your hero Dom Cummings is the main protagonist sticking the knife in :ROFL:

Poor Boris, I could almost feel sorry for him…nah, like hell I do :ROFL::p
This is Carrie's doing. Dom and Boris were so tight, then she came into the picture and ruined the bromance, and now they are enemies. See what women do to men

Last edited:
Where’s our friend Chris? @The_Right_Honourable_Brit

You must be devastated, your man crush Boris in serious sheisse and your hero Dom Cummings is the main protagonist sticking the knife in :ROFL:

Poor Boris, I could almost feel sorry for him…nah, like hell I do :ROFL::p

Well, I've always been a big supporter of Cummings as he actually had proper, 'big tent' ideas which is an increasing rarity these days in the civil service & Whitehall who only believe in incremental reform (or indeed any reform at all). I also happen to agree that Boris' fiancee seems to be wielding undue influence on him, especially all this green bonkers stuff (she's a well-known greenie). You can be as green as you want, but when these green policies become expensive for the average worker, support will drain away fast. The new working-class Tories in the north don't give a hoot about this greenery stuff, that's for posh urban middle/upper middle class people who all vote Labour anyway.

PS: You might be interested to know I've backed Labour to win the Hartlepool by-election despite punters favouring the Tories. It will be very close, but I think many people are just adding the Tory + Brexit Party vote and saying it's a slam dunk. The problem with that is (a) turnout will be much lower than in the GE, (b) Brexit has happened so it's not such a big issue anymore, (c) very rare for the incumbent government to gain seats in by-elections (happened in 1983 and 2017) and (d) many Brexit Party voters are actually ex-Lab voters rather than Tory voters.

1619250439129.png

Last edited:

surface

Honorary Master
I have been binge watching these ones and holy crap, brexiters are way too dumber than dumbest of our politicians here.

The Voice

Honorary Master

vigras rojara

Expert Member
I imagine a large portion of the customer base would have been restaurants, bars, etc, which have been firmly shut in a number of EU countries for a year already because of the pandemic. This probably has more to do with the market than Brexit.

Also:

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/world/europe/brexit-eu-parliament-approval.amp.html?espv=1
Supermarket sales are up though, at least in the UK. I would be surprised if it's a different situation in the EU.

Unless people just aren't eating over there?

surface

Honorary Master
If you think callers to James O'brien were lunatics, here is Nick Abott

buka001

Honorary Master
UK has failed to negotiate access to Norwegian waters for its fisheries.

Norway has access to UK waters and will continue to export Cod to the UK tariff free.

UK fisheries are calling this a disgrace and a disaster.

I thought the UK held all the cards the day after Brexit?

UK fisheries staring down a barrel of a gun here.

Dave

Honorary Master

Norway has access to UK waters and will continue to export Cod to the UK tariff free.

As this reply puts it so eloquently

zippy

Honorary Master
It was always on the cards with the way the Tories shafted the people of Northern Ireland over Brexit, but quite amazing how the little that the BBC actually manages to report on the week long riots currently taking place, it doesn’t actually say why it’s happening.

Calls for calm following attacks on police in NI https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56634052

It was on BBC
Not too many in England give a s###t what happens in NI. The first day is newsworthy, after that, meh

At the moment the sh##tstorm around Boris is more newsworthy than NI

Last edited:

zippy

Honorary Master

Actually I don’t believe Norway will have access to U.K. waters, or at least the access is significantly reduced. They won’t be able fish mackerel in Scottish waters, but the U.K. consumer market for oily fish such as mackerel is a fraction of that which is fished in Norwegian waters. Also I believe that the mackerel fishing fields are seasonal and Norwegian fisherman have already got what they need for the year, while Cod is all year round.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It was on BBC
Not too many in England give a s###t what happens in NI. The first day is newsworthy, after that, meh

At the moment the sh##tstorm around Boris is more newsworthy than NI

Actually quite remarkable that the Tories have regained the lead in the polls. Just how much lying, cheating, stealing and incompetence can they put up with? Holy schit but the English are truly stupid.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Actually quite remarkable that the Tories have regained the lead in the polls. Just how much lying, cheating, stealing and incompetence can they put up with? Holy schit but the English are truly stupid.
Amazing really that no matter how bad this is, they were still smart enough to know that it would be far better than what Comrade Corbyn was offering them.

Starmer, though not great, should've come in a LOT earlier.

surface

Honorary Master
Well, I would say that at least 52% of them are definitely not well informed. From James O'brien youtube channel, I get the sense that many of these were one issue brexiters, namely immigration.