The Craft Gin Thread

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Any gin lovers on MBB? I've enjoyed gin for a number of years now. Makes a fantastic refreshing summer drink. Cape Town and surrounding areas seems to be at the centre of a craft gin boom right now, so lots of new options to try.

Distilleries
Blaauwklippen, Stellenbosch
Hope On Hopkins, Cape Town
Inverroche, Stillbaai
Jenever Montane, Cape Town
Jorgensen's, Wellington
Wilderer, Simondium Paarl / Suider-Paarl
The Woodstock Gin Company, Cape Town

Gin Bars
Mother's Ruin, Cape Town
The Gin Bar, Cape Town

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm pretty miffed that I did not check out the Gin distillery in Stilbaai when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They have quite a few "flavours" from what I heard. Guess I'll have to stop by next year then.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm pretty miffed that I did not check out the Gin distillery in Stilbaai when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They have quite a few "flavours" from what I heard. Guess I'll have to stop by next year then.
Jorgensen's & Wilderer isn't too far from you. You should check them out if you haven't already.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Any gin lovers on MBB? I've enjoyed gin for a number of years now. Makes a fantastic refreshing summer drink. Cape Town and surrounding areas seems to be at the centre of a craft gin boom right now, so lots of new options to try.
One of my favourite things about Cape Town these days is Mother's Ruin :)

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Anyone else finds that gin makes them sleepy, maybe its the j-berries or something but 2 gins and I cannot keep my eyes open.

Which makes gin & dry lemon a fav on the flight from CT, one two see u in joburg..

BCO

Honorary Master
We're distributing for a company called Socks Gin that does G&T on tap. Currently available at Union Bar on Bree Street, with a lot more outlets coming soon.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We're distributing for a company called Socks Gin that does G&T on tap. Currently available at Union Bar on Bree Street, with a lot more outlets coming soon.
Is it anywhere near as dangerous as that Brannas stuff?

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476203530.911831.jpg

What's currently in the cupboard. Tasting these all neat: Wilderer has the more intense fynbos taste and I could swear there is just a hint of liquorice in there. Jorgensens is probably the more traditional juniper orientated of the lot. Jenever Montane is a recent find. Also more fynbos but not as "wild" as the wilderer. Very nice.

It's hard to pic a favourite. They are all great in their own way and have different elements that dominate.

Next experiment will be with some mixers.