The Craft Gin Thread

saor

Honorary Master
Very strange, everyone seems to be talking and reading about Six Dogs locally made craft gin these days but not a mention of it on this thread!
Any comments?
:wtf:
I mentioned it on this page with a picture.

I don't drink gin often enough to properly rate it, but I enjoyed it - mellow floral kinda flavor. Would happily drink again.
The color changing is cool.

Malkie

Ooops! Missed that. Nevertheless there has not been much mention of it besides that which surprises me considering all the hype one reads about Six Dogs in the media.
I would like to hear what some of the Gin drinking fundis think of it.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I'm not a very big gin drinker, will enjoy 1 or 2 from time to time on a hot summers day.
I was at a wedding the other day where they had a gin table as the pre reception drinks, it had 4 or 5 different gins with different tonic as well It was a pretty nice experience trying all the different combos, but I keep going back to the normal old school Schwepps tonic, I don't like the others.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I'm not a very big gin drinker, will enjoy 1 or 2 from time to time on a hot summers day.
I was at a wedding the other day where they had a gin table as the pre reception drinks, it had 4 or 5 different gins with different tonic as well It was a pretty nice experience trying all the different combos, but I keep going back to the normal old school Schwepps tonic, I don't like the others.
Same here, I think it's the sugar in the Schweppes tonic.

BCO

Honorary Master
Why?

Schweppes is the best one and most preferred world wide.

You need tonic that enhances the gin's flavor, not add other flavors.
I find the flavours of B&Q complement most gins' botanicals very well and it's not too sweet. Schweppes is definitely the most popular and it's fine as the "default" tonic but I don't think it's the best.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I see that a craft brewery down in Durban (East Coast Brewery Company) has moved over from making craft beers to making Gin.

I used to enjoy their Pale ale lager when I went down to Durban on business but the last time I stopped off at Lords and Legends in the Bluff for a drink and food, they said ECBC had moved over to Gin and Tonic on tap.

So it seems the Craft beer market is probably getting saturated and a lot of the guys are looking for alternatives.

saor

Honorary Master
Mothers Ruin seems closed - any ideas on places to go gin tasting in the evening in the cpt CBD? Could try the gin bar at the back of Honest Chocolate but it's tiny and would prefer a place to sit down and order a few local gin & tonics to taste.