The Middle East Conflict Thread

An eye for an eye is tit-for-tat which apparently is not the intent of Israel.

Gandhi said an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

In the 21st Century surely we need to dispose of this silly notion as a solution.

I think Israel is more into defending their citizens no matter the cost, something Hamas has yet to learn.
 
WHAT???? :mad:

Please show me where any one of us has said that.

I have said, I hope they wipe out Hamas and the terrorists, but I never ever said anything the likes of what you have said. I take strong exception to that.

Then add the word ' generally ' to my post.

I read about women and children should be targeted because they are ' potential terrorists ' and it is clear that there is little if any sympathy for civilians killed as they are supporters of hamas, they were warned to leave etc etc. The impression is that they are all complicit in the rocket attacks and can justifiably be killed.
 
Just remember the Torah preaches an eye for an eye - you attack Israel and they're justified in attacking you.

As do most religions. As you said.. JUSTIFIED. They are not doing it because they have to. The religious only mention it because it justifies what they already want to do, as if it means they have no other choice.
 
Something I am wondering about... I saw a news report where there were these kids with sniper bullets in them.. how is this an accident? please explain this? Unlike the ariel bombardment, which accurate or not will have civilian casualty, sniper gunshots are entirely preventable.

That to me is just plain sick.

I'd like to know how they determine it is a sniper bullet.

Bullets from an assualt rifle or sniper rifle would most likely disintegrate on impact or if this didnt happen they would pass through the body (especially a childs body).
 
Could those who are familiar with the Torah comment on this scripture -

When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be
treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the
Lord your God. (Leviticus 19:33-34)


I'm not sure how this is compatible with the eye for an eye concept.
 
Could those who are familiar with the Torah comment on this scripture -

When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be
treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the
Lord your God. (Leviticus 19:33-34)


I'm not sure how this is compatible with the eye for an eye concept.

If a man causes disfigurement of his neighbor, as he has done, so shall it be done to him; fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; as he has caused disfigurement of a man, so shall it be done to him. (Leviticus 24:20)


Yes, the "eye for an eye" becomes applicable when the alien attacks you and kills a member of your family. If they live in peace then Lev. 19 applies.
 
Lebanon launches rockets at Israel

JERUSALEM – Israeli media say Lebanese militants have fired a second barrage of rockets on northern Israel.

Radio and TV stations say air-raid sirens have gone off in two northern towns. There have been no reports of injuries. But the attack follows an earlier salvo on northern Israel.

Israeli officials have been concerned that Hezbollah guerrillas may try to open a second front against Israel as it presses on with an offensive in the Gaza Strip.

Israel has activated thousands of reserve troops to guard the north and repeatedly warned Hezbollah against attacking.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

JERUSALEM (AP) — Lebanese militants fired at least three rockets into northern Israel early Thursday, threatening to open a second front for the Jewish state as it pushed forward with its offensive in the Gaza Strip. Gaza militants fired a rocket barrage into southern Israel almost simultaneously.


Seems the Israelis are getting it from all sides now, not much chance for a cease fire.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians
 
This has already been posted in the Gaza conflict thread. We are trying to keep all things related to the Israeli conflict in one thread. Thanks :)

EDIT: Requested the mods to merge this and change the name from "Gaza Conflict" ot "Israel Conflict" or Middle East Conflict".
 
Last edited:
Could those who are familiar with the Torah comment on this scripture -

When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be
treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the
Lord your God. (Leviticus 19:33-34)


I'm not sure how this is compatible with the eye for an eye concept.

Hmmm... Since you want to turn this into a religious issue.... I would compare that one with this one....

HADITH Sahih Bukhari [4:52:176] Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.' "
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X