The Nissan 370Z Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan 370Z gets a nip and tuck for 2017

Although it doesn't enjoy quite the cult status of the fire-spitting GT-R, Nissan's 370Z coupé still subscribes to the official 'driving purist' credo of rear wheel drive and a high-revving engine.

It's just that after being on the South African market for over eight years, it tends to get easily forgotten. To remind people it's still around the sports coupe's been given a facelift and a gearbox upgrade.

The mild restyle includes new metal chrome door handles and a black painted rear diffuser, and it also acquires the dark-tinted headlights and taillights that were previously only available on the Nismo model. The facelift is rounded off by distinctive new 19-inch alloy wheels and the introduction of a striking new Red Metallic body colour.

Mechanically the only change is the introduction of an Exedy high-performance clutch in the six-speed manual version which Nissan says optimises the downshift and reduces driver pedal effort to deliver greater levels of gear change precision and comfort. As before the car's also available with a seven-speed auto transmission.

Power's supplied by the existing normally aspirated 3.7-litre V6 petrol with outputs of 245kW and 363Nm, good for a claimed sea-level 0-100km/h sprint in 5.3 seconds and a 250km/h top speed according to Nissan.

A premium infotainment system with 18cm touchscreen, satellite navigation, DVD player, 9.3GB music box system and rear-view camera, is standard.

Pricing is unchanged at R661 900 for the manual and R680 900 for the auto, and includes Nissan's 6-year/150 000km warranty and 3-year/90 000km service plan.

There's no official word on when the next-generation Nissan Z car might make its appearance, although with the 50th anniversary of the Z line coming up in 2019 there's a chance of a possible concept-car reveal at next month's Tokyo motor show, with whispers that it could be called the 390Z.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/nissan-370z-gets-a-nip-and-tuck-for-2017-11391620

asshat99

Overpriced how? Isn't that around the price of a Golof R? And I'd rather take the rear wheel drive coupe over some common hatch...
For a 10 year old, stale design, pig fat heavy, mediocre performance, ancient inefficient engine, forgotten by Nissan - it is a huge rip off. Yes, it is a rear wheel coupe - but how nasty is it inside compared to even the most boring golf? How is that drivetrain worth that kind of premium over even the snooze fest that is AWD? Putting a new radio and painting the door handles is exciting?

Buying one new is insane - when they can be picked up for a fraction of the price after less than a year. Undesirable because so old. Save a bit more and get a modern mid engined porsche brand new for an extra R200k. You will lose more than R200k in depreciation on the Nissan immediately. The porsche will lose far less value and drop far more panties. Even a mustang will be a better value proposition. Porsche and ford make the nissan look massively overpriced.

jalopnik.com - The 2018 Nissan 370Z Heritage Edition Is A Reminder That Nissan Still Doesn’t Give A **** About Affordable Sports Cars

"It’s okay because if you still want to buy a new car that feels like it’s based on horrendously outdated technology there’s the 370Z."

Last edited:

HunterNW

Executive Member
******99 (Is dit soos hol hoed ?), I agree with you on price.... give it some time and you buy a beaut for cheap. Bought my 350Z for 150K, spotless, 69000Km... Bargain.

asshat99

******99 (Is dit soos hol hoed ?), I agree with you on price.... give it some time and you buy a beaut for cheap. Bought my 350Z for 150K, spotless, 69000Km... Bargain.
Second hand - the 370z is indeed compelling. Pity nearly all the ones on the market are autos.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I still don't get why the US-centric site Jalopnik is so crass. I only go to that site as a last resort move. Same with US YouTube channels. It's either OTT or incredibly cheesy. Fokol balance.

US tech sites & channels they shine but motoring-related overall fail.

asshat99

I still don't get why the US-centric site Jalopnik is so crass. ...Fokol balance.
All motoring news/reviews must now be crass thanks to the Clarkson-bots. Even newspaper articles try it most of the time. Consider terms like 'flappy paddle' and just general hyperbole in auto news.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2018 370Z Nismo track test - Motoring Australia

[video=youtube_share;cnuncJ7pDBI]https://youtu.be/cnuncJ7pDBI[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Driven: Nissan's revised 370Z is old-school cool

The key to plastic surgery is to not overdo it. Keep the nips and tucks to a minimum. Just ask Jane Fonda, who’s just a couple months away from her 80th but doesn’t look a day older than, umm 60.

It also helps when the face you’re nipping is a pretty one to start with, and like Jane, Nissan’s 370Z was quite the looker when it was young, and taut, and fresh.

The 370, which is ironically called the Fairlady in some markets, is about to turn nine (that’s about Fonda’s age in car years) and though it doesn’t have long for this world it’s just gone under the knife one last time.

The new 2018 model year 370Z gets some very minor cosmetic upgrades to help the already attractive car age gracefully - namely a new set of 19-inch alloys from famed aftermarket wheel supplier Rays, a black-painted rear diffuser, chrome door handles and some smoked head- and tail-light lenses straight off the special edition Nismo model which wasn’t sold locally.

Power comes from an unchanged naturally aspirated 3.7-litre V6 with the same 245kW and 363Nm as previously, and gearbox choices still include a six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic.

The only mechanical difference is a new clutch pack in the manual, supplied by Exedy, a Japanese brand know for its high-performance tuning parts.

This clutch, according to Nissan, is designed to be lighter under your left foot so all the ins and outs needed for track (or traffic) driving is a little less taxing.

I can’t vouch for its newfound lightness because I wasn’t able to comparatively test it back to back with the outgoing model, but its action was well weighted for a few hot laps around Redstar Raceway where the car was introduced to media last week.

The term old-school might be less offensive and more accurate than just plain-old when referring to this sports car. It feels its age, that’s undeniable.

But a big capacity, naturally aspirated engine, driving the rear wheels through a manual transmission is a nostalgic recipe that’s all but dead in today’s showrooms.

On track the 370Z screamed its way to redline with a note uninhibited by turbochargers, and the footwork required to bang up and down through ratios with a gear lever, rather than steering paddles, is an addictive art that’s near forgotten in modern machinery.

There’s also a clever rev-matching throttle function to help slip through the H-pattern on downshifts, but it can be switched off by drivers who prefer the heel-toe technique.

The auto transmission didn’t fare as well in hot laps, where it struggled to sniff out the correct gear for given situations and refused to accept paddle inputs under pressure, but in fairness a track probably wasn’t the best place to demonstrate the virtues of an old-fashioned torque converter gearbox. This one’s better suited to lazy cruising.

Performance claims at sea level are quoted at 5.3 and 5.6 seconds for the manual and auto respectively in 0-100km/h tests, and both have governed top speeds of 250km/h.

Pricing is unchanged from the previous 370Z with the manual selling for R661 900 and the auto R680 900.

Three-year/90 000km service plans and six-year/150 000km warranties are included.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/latest-launches/driven-nissans-revised-370z-is-old-school-cool-11498714

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Prior to the announcement of the MY2018 370Z I did not know about Exedy & what they do.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ignition TV insert

[video=youtube_share;3lkmSmfUslY]https://youtu.be/3lkmSmfUslY[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Facelift Nissan 370Z (2017) Launch Review

With devastatingly good looks and an intoxicating but "politically incorrect" non-turbo 3.7-litre V6 driving the rear wheels, Nissan's 370Z has always proved a delight. But nearly a decade since its inception, is it still a thrill?

Although it has been constantly shadowed by fancier nameplates, Nissan’s 370Z has always been a compelling car in some ways, not least its keen pricing and non-conformist engineering. Persistently sexy, it now has the gung-ho attitude of a mini R35 Nissan GT-R going for it and is particularly eye-catching in a new shade of metallic red. Features added to the new car include smoked head and rear lights; metal chrome door handles; a black painted rear diffuser and new design 19-inch alloy wheels. The cabin gains a new infotainment system that functions through a seven-inch touch-screen as seen in the new Navara; reverse camera; satellite navigation; DVD player and an integrated 9.3GB hard drive plus it’s a fine, comfortable and easy drive that promises to swallow a golf-bag or two.

Nearly a decade down the line, the 370Z still looks like a modern sportscar.

The oily bits

Confidently pushing the start button provokes the 3.7-litre 6-cylinder engine into life. It’s the same unit as it's always carried and though it has always lacked the sonorous musicality of the earlier 350Z it packs a heady 245 kW and 343 Nm. The nuts and bolts are largely untouched save for tweaks on its suspension to enhance its dynamic and comfort envelope and a new version of its clever high-performance clutch with a Syncro Rev Control throttle-blipping feature. Essentially it’s an automated version of the heel-and-toe foot dance mastered by professional race drivers but the average human can flip the scripts and just enjoy throttle blips on down-shifts. The 370Z clutch performs this synchronizing function for you in all available gear-downs. It’s good for 100 kph in 5.4 seconds and reaches a top end of 250 kph.

The revision comes with a newer infotainment system and reverse-view camera.

Segment Rivals

Heritage. This Nissan has this stuff in heaps. It’s a part of an eight-car line of special, compact Nissan’s Z-coupes which have always played a supporting role to the larger and truly mental brigade of R-badged Skylines over the ages. This latest 370Z is merely a face-lift rather than an all-new car; Z-car 8.5 if you will. It has the more expensive, scalpel-sharp Porsche 718 Cayman; the hoity-toity Mercedes-Benz SLC300 and the 70k dearer, but enormously faster Audi TTS in its gun-sights. Admittedly it’s outclassed in some major aspects by this trio however, it’s this anti-thesis on the subject matter of modern compact sports coupery that gives it a certain charm in the eyes of those who like things a little old school.

Old School’s cool

It’s classified under "old school" for a reason. The Nissan 370Z is among very few cars whose makers remain loyal to the addictive savagery of natural aspiration. To this end, it’s only the Mazda MX-5, Audi R8 V10, Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Porsche GT 3 RS and the entire Lamborghini range that steadfastly hold on to this good old way of thrilling. The 370Z is also amongst an even rarer bunch of high-end cars that can still be had with a manual transmission. Not even the ballistic GT-R offers you the luxury to inflame its pot of volcanic power by hand.

The 370Z is old school and cool. Naturally aspirated, manual gearbox and limited electronic driving aids and gizmos.

Old school is many things. Over the 14 years of being an automotive writer, I’ve grumbled at a number of vehicle brands over a variety of mistakes. BMW moved away from manual gearboxes, which gained momentum with the refusal to produce the 2005 E60 BMW M5 6-speed manual in right-hand-drive guise; Audi’s correct stand on natural aspiration but fumbled by its insistence on AWD underpinnings for the R8, and Mercedes-AMG’s initial reluctance to pile on the power in the historically disparaged C32 AMG. These are a few examples and I’m glad to report that they seem to have corrected the error of their ways. BMW now offers the current M4 in a 6-speed manual; Audi has released a limited series of RWD R8s and Mercedes-AMG has long lost its introverted approach to power delivery.

The Perfect Beast

Quite recently I got to drive a trio of rare old school performance cars; a 1978 BMW M1, a 1986 BMW 333i and the underrated Lexus IS F powered by a 5.0-litre V8. Thankfully I’d also driven a trio of new school performance cars; a BMW M4 DTM Championship Edition, Aston Martin DB11 and a Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4. This variety in performance machinery has helped a lot in fine tuning the exact texture that I like from the ultimate sportscar, which would have expressive aerofoil aesthetics of both Lamborghini and BMW M1 and the DB11’s aristocratic living quarters fused with the Gryphon fighter jet ergonomics of the Huracan’s cabin.

We're not sure those vertical LEDs do much for the look, but at least it's a reason to remind us the 370Z is still around.

Mechanically, the naturally aspirated V10 of the baby Lambo for its immediate delivery of thunder and it’s chassis will form the skeleton but I’ll demand deletion of its Audi-esque AWD system permanently. Then I’ll deploy BMW gurus to add lightness and recreate the rear wheel drive magic found in the M4 DTM while transmission choices would be two versions; one fitted with the heroic dog-leg manual trannie found in both the BMW M1 and 333i while the automatic version to be used largely for leisurely drives and by the uninitiated will get the far-reaching and fast-changing ‘box from the Lexus. The end result should be explosive and sensationally fast; drift like the BMW M4 DTM and shout murder like the Lamborghini.

This is the Nissan 370Z in a nutshell. It cruises well; it’s specified to satisfy the basics demands of a digital world; it looks good; it arrives at 250km/h and it comes in manual or auto. Expert helms-men can merrily take it on track or drift it until their heart's content. It’s an all-encompassing driving experience.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/facelift-nissan-370z-2017-launch-review/44126/

asshat99

Any sales for this month? What were sales in Aug/Sept before the update?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan 370Z (2017) Quick Review

Price and warranty

This Nissan 370Z manual is priced from R661 900 and comes with a comprehensive 6-year/150 000 km warranty, as well as a 3-year/90 000km service plan. For those who prefer an automatic transmission, you can expect to pay R680 900 for the 370Z automatic.

Verdict

Despite its age, the updated 370Z still has much to offer,

The Nissan 370Z flies in the face of its more modern rivals and its pricing is comparatively attractive. The Z is a rarity in this day and age: an uncomplicated (even naturally aspirated!) sportscar that offers a visceral driving experience where driver and machine engage intimately. That, perhaps, is the Nissan's greatest strength. It’s eminently entertaining and fun to drive.

That’s not always enough to encourage sales, however. Due to the product's advanced age, many buyers will question whether it is worth spending R661 900 on what is essentially an 8-year old car, and rightfully so. For similar money, buyers can step into a used, low-mileage F-Type Coupe or Porsche Cayman that will offer similar or better thrills and more badge appeal. Even so, the Nissan 370Z has its place and if you want to thumb your nose at the establishment and tap into some old-school nostalgia, then the Z is worth a look.

Old-school is still cool after all...

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/nissan-370z-2017-quick-review/44204/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;csNKE0KsaN4]https://youtu.be/csNKE0KsaN4[/video]