The Nissan 370Z Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
'Pure driving fun' - driving Nissan's soulful 370Z

I'm a die-hard Nissan GT-R fan, though the 370Z has a rather a special place in my heart too.

Nissan's iconic roadster has a rich, racing heritage from its inception in 1969 as the FairladyZ or the Datsun 240Z when it was exported.

Looking at the 2017 version, launched earlier in SA, you can't help but reflect on its origins; Nissan has truly kept the roadster's legacy going.

I recall attending both the 350Z and 370Z launches in South Africa many moons ago, and I'll never forget the sheer driving pleasure both offered, especially in drop-top guise.

Open-air motoring at its best with a naturally raw sound to the engine, while throwing out the tail on some of Durban's glorious open roads with my late colleague Morgan Naidoo. Man, did we have a great time and enjoyed the cars we were driving. I suppose that's ultimately what the 370Z is about - pure driving fun.

I wouldn't exactly call the 370Z a baby GT-R but they're definitely family, that's for sure. There are similarities in the cabin design, the instrument cluster and the way the cockpit is driver-focused. It's draped in leather and carbon-fibre, has SatNav, Bluetooth, USB and AUX ports, and a 9.3GB harddrive to store all your favourite music for extended road trips.

But more importantly Nissan has done a fine job keeping this car mated to a manual gearbox (though there's an auto option too), naturally-aspirated version with close gear ratios. I love that the pedals are closely positioned to each other as well, as it makes for great shifting and that gearbox is just glorious. It has a race car's soul.

To be honest, I'm not keen on those new headlights nor the LED strip, I'd prefer proper fog lights integrated into the bumper. But with those new 19" alloys along with those thundering wheel arches and that wide rear, its looks are easily forgiven.

It's a magnificent car to own and with 245kW/363Nm on tap it's purist fun behind the wheel. Its low centre of gravity along with that earthy growl emanating from its V6 engine is enough to make you keep your foot planted on the accelerator and sweeping through bends with that unbelievable grip.

It has a starting price of R661 900.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/pure-driving-fun-driving-nissans-soulful-370z-20171124

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Man Sells Testicle To Buy New Nissan 370Z

How far would you be willing to go to own your dream car? We often comment on pictures and videos saying we would gladly sell an organ to own it but I can assure you I would never follow through with anything of the sort.

Some lad called Mark Parisi on the other hand actually went ahead with it and sold his left testicle to buy the new Nissan 370Z.

Mark went on TV show “The Doctors” and admitted the ballsy move to rid of his left testicle after he admitted he wasn’t going to hang around and wait to save the money for the new car.

“It’s a serious car for serious drivers,” Parisi said of the car.

How much did this nutjob make (pun intended) from the sale? A whopping $35,000 (Australian) which is fortunate as the new sticker price for the Nissan in Australia is exactly that.

http://www.zero2turbo.com/2017/11/man-sells-testicle-buy-new-nissan-370z.html

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Nissan Says It Doesn’t Plan To Kill Off ‘Z’ Nameplate

There has been plenty of speculation about whether Nissan plans to keep its “Z” nameplate alive once the 370Z eventually reaches the end of its already-lengthy lifecycle. But now a US executive from the Japanese automaker has insisted that the badge is “not going anywhere”.

Speaking to AutoGuide, Michael Bunce, vice president of product planning at Nissan North America, said that the company was “not going to walk away from the nameplate”.

“It’s certainly something we’re studying and working through right now,” Bunce told the publication.

“It’s always been part of Nissan heritage. And I think it’s fair to say, even if you’re not a car enthusiast and you mention 240 or 370, most people would say ‘Nissan’ or ‘Datsun’ right after that.”

Bunce reiterated that the nameplate was an “important asset”, adding that “it’s not going anywhere”.

“We know that any investment you make in Z does have a payback in terms of its impact to our brand,” he said.

When a new Z car will arrive, however, is anyone’s guess…

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/nissan-says-it-doesnt-plan-to-kill-off-z-nameplate/

asshat99

"Just to put everything in perspective here, the 370’s chassis literally predates the camera phone."

The 'Z' In Nissan's Z May As Well Stand For 'Zombie' Since They Will Not Let It Die

Currently in America, if you want a sports car that wears a Nissan badge without spending about $100 grand, you have one option: a Nissan 370Z. The 2018 370Z is essentially the same car Nissan started selling nine years ago, and while it is high time for a replacement, there’s no evidence one is in the works. But that doesn’t mean the Z is going away anytime soon, either.

A source at Nissan spoke with Motor Authority about the future of the Z car, and told them that the Z will
“... be updated to meet future safety and regulatory standards as to not be regulatoried out of production.”

They also went on to say that, despite no clear plans for a replacement,
“there’s strong interested within the company for the Z to live on.”

So, does this mean the 370Z is due for a substantial overhaul? According to Joel Feder of Motor Authority,
“Our source said the updates will be regulatory and minor. So likely safety and emissions, but we didn’t get details on exactly what kinds of updates. There was emphasis on the fact that they don’t want the current car to be ‘regulatoried out,’ e.g., not meet upcoming standards. We aren’t looking at a full overhaul.”

So, uh, no. No major overhaul. Just the minimum to keep it legal.

Depending on how you look at it, this can be seen as a good or bad/sad thing. On the plus side, it’s great they still want to produce a pure front-mid-engine’d sports car, even if it means just doing the minimum to keep it around. If they keep at it long enough, maybe the 370Z will be like a Morgan?

On the other hand, there’s very little that says more clearly that they don’t have any real plans for a replacement if they’re willing to put this sort of effort into an already old platform. That’s pretty sad, and doesn’t speak too well about Nissan’s future sports car plans.

Maybe to mix things up a bit, they’ll start calling it the Fairlady Z here in the U.S., too. That’d be something novel, at least.

https://jalopnik.com/the-z-in-nissans-z-may-as-well-stand-for-zombie-since-t-1822519896

HunterNW

Executive Member
"The 'Z' In Nissan's Z May As Well Stand For 'Zombie' Since They Will Not Let It Die" <<< Bulschit.

http://www.zhome.com/History/FairladyName.html

Anycase... Z is the last letter of the alphabet, so it can't be passed by any onther letter, or car :D

Z - Zippy, Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm :twisted:

asshat99

"The 'Z' In Nissan's Z May As Well Stand For 'Zombie' Since They Will Not Let It Die" <<< Bulschit.

http://www.zhome.com/History/FairladyName.html

Anycase... Z is the last letter of the alphabet, so it can't be passed by any onther letter, or car :D

Z - Zippy, Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm :twisted:
Okay - someone does not get the joke - or missed the "MAY AS WELL" part of the very first sentence. Calm down.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Okay - someone does not get the joke - or missed the "MAY AS WELL" part of the very first sentence. Calm down.
Someone ? You mean ME, HunterNW, have balls and say it. :D

And i'm entitled to my own jokes ?? :whistling:

asshat99

Sad. Especially after a new edition. Stock issues?

Seems they are taking the citigolf approach - new editions on an old machine.

This does not bode well for mid range sports cars in general.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Highly doubt supply issues. This segment of the market has always been a low volume segment. Then we have to take note of the fact the car's powertrain & tech wise is relatively dated & it's pricey relatively high for what it is.

It was never meant to be a volume seller, pretty much just a halo car for the brand.