The Official Homebrewed Chilli sauce Thread

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Edited thread title so as to start a chilli sauce thread.

Yum.

Hi

Tried recently to make my own chilli sauce.

The recipe had balsamic vinegar in, but I used too much, the chilli sauce is just too vinegary.

How do I fix this?

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Add something to sweeten it...honey, brown sugar etc. I'd maybe even add some paprika or cayenne pepper to help mask the flavor, but I reckon the sweetness should do the trick.

boxerulez

Expert Member
What type? I make my own jalapeno sauce beats the socks off tabasco. Never have less than a 750ml jack bottle full.

saor

Honorary Master
I know :)

Just experimenting a bit with different recipes etc.
Hehe cool. I also made some a few weeks ago after being severely dissappointed at the lack of properly hot chilli sauce around. Planted some Bhut Joloka chillies which fruited earlier this year and did the following:

* Chopped up the Bhut (= about 4 cups) and a yellow pepper
* Added about 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
* Salt & honey
* A bit of paprika and cayenne pepper

Brought that to the boil then reduced and simmered for about 15-20 minutes. Poured the chunky mixture into a blender and gave a few quick pulses to make it more sauce-like. Been going through the stuff way too quick :). Luckily the Bhut weren't as hot as I was anticipating, so the sauce is quite edible (tho very hot...but it's tasty).

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Cool, so I can blend the chillies...

Will need to get a blender just for chillies, Frau Ook won't like it if her stuff start tasting of chillies and burning... :D:D:D:D:D

IceQB

Expert Member
A friend gave me his "home brew" chilli sauce. Was/is quite nice, not too strong or bland, with a bit of sweetness.
Trying to figure out what he put in it, as he won't give his recipe.
Any one have some basic/good ones I could build from & make my own "flavor"?

saor

Honorary Master
My last batch was pretty much just pure chillies. Wanted more of a relish this time so still used the Bhut Joloka chillies, but added a few other ingredients as well. Only thing not pictured here is the honey of which I added about a tablespoon.

ingredients.jpg

Dry-fried the onions until soft and slightly browned, added the rest of the ingredients coarsely chopped & brought to the boil. The amount of apple cider vinegar was just just below the level of all the ingredients...probably about 3/4 cup. Brought it all to the boil then simmered for half an hour. Let it cool. Pulsed a few times in the blender. Bottled.

potmix.jpg

sauce.jpg

Grant

Honorary Master
The Great Chili Challenge - how I cheated !

I felt like something hot(ish)

Suddenly, this thread sprang to mind.
Ferreted around in the kitchen & pantry - came up empty handed.

Undeterred - back I went, emerged with this:
WotsInIt.jpg

1st cheat, the tin of tomatos.
Duel purpose - the fresh tomatos in the fridge were spoken for (tonights dinner i was led to believe).
Scoff if you must, but there was method to the madness - the contents were emptied into a sieve to separate the juice & the pieces.
The pieces of tomato went into a saucepan, the juice into a glass - along with salt & pepper, then down my gullet.

So now (without the juice) there was half a can of tomato in the saucepan, added half a teaspoon of birdseye chili, 1 teaspoon of the periperi spice, a large pinch of salt & a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Simmered for a while - appeared to lack body.
While foraging for other things, I happened upon a stash of sachets of tomato sauce (courtesy McD's & KFC).
Added them.

"Tequila" I thought - added half a shot.
Simmered sum more.
Was smelling good - had a taste.

Staggered around the kitchen for a few moments gasping for breath as harriet (the housekeeper) looked on with a bemused look on her face.
Grabbed for some sliced & (still) frozen McCain Stir fried veggies to kill the flames coming from my lips.
Harriet slaps my grubby paw with a dishcloth.

Regaining my lost composure, I gingerly re-approach the saucepan. I add a dash of tomato sauce (from the bottle this time).
"Ok, that seems a little more civilized" thinking the sour is never as sour without the sweet.

So I am left with this:
done.jpg

It's damn fine - although taking a sharp breath after a taste remains tricky.

saor

Honorary Master
The Tequila actually sounds like a nice twist. You could probably put that in a little jar and keep it for a while in the fridge. You should call that the 'Blazed at 2am Chilli Sauce' :p.

I felt like something hot(ish)

Suddenly, this thread sprang to mind.
Ferreted around in the kitchen & pantry - came up empty handed.

Undeterred - back I went, emerged with this:
View attachment 118039

1st cheat, the tin of tomatos.
Duel purpose - the fresh tomatos in the fridge were spoken for (tonights dinner i was led to believe).
Scoff if you must, but there was method to the madness - the contents were emptied into a sieve to separate the juice & the pieces.
The pieces of tomato went into a saucepan, the juice into a glass - along with salt & pepper, then down my gullet.

So now (without the juice) there was half a can of tomato in the saucepan, added half a teaspoon of birdseye chili, 1 teaspoon of the periperi spice, a large pinch of salt & a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Simmered for a while - appeared to lack body.
While foraging for other things, I happened upon a stash of sachets of tomato sauce (courtesy McD's & KFC).
Added them.

"Tequila" I thought - added half a shot.
Simmered sum more.
Was smelling good - had a taste.

Staggered around the kitchen for a few moments gasping for breath as harriet (the housekeeper) looked on with a bemused look on her face.
Grabbed for some sliced & (still) frozen McCain Stir fried veggies to kill the flames coming from my lips.
Harriet slaps my grubby paw with a dishcloth.

Regaining my lost composure, I gingerly re-approach the saucepan. I add a dash of tomato sauce (from the bottle this time).
"Ok, that seems a little more civilized" thinking the sour is never as sour without the sweet.

So I am left with this:
View attachment 118043

It's damn fine - although taking a sharp breath after a taste remains tricky.
Chuck that in a blender while still hot. While it's whizzing around, add one egg yolk and immediately drizzle in some olive oil or any other oil.

Watch it turn into a thick emulsion before your eyes. Magic - out comes sauce ready to be bottled.

Just season before bottling because the oil will reduce the flavour hit a bit...

saor

Honorary Master
Busy waiting for my hot chillies to fruit. Bought some regular chillies from the market this morning and whipped up some sauce...can't live without the stuff in my fridge. Added some cayenne pepper and smoked paprika too. Cooked for about 15 minutes, pulsed in blender then cooked for another 10 mins on low.

chilliesauce.jpg

Last edited:

IceQB

Expert Member
No has a basic guide of chilli sauce?
Am tempted to just throw a few things together, but don't want to stuff it up.
Any basic recipe would help, can build from there.