The Official Homebrewed Chilli sauce Thread

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I always have jalapeños left after I make my chilli con carne.

So the easiest thing for me is to make a salsa.

Cook the 8-10 jalapeños that are left in a sauce pan for 15 odd minutes till they lose their shine.

Cut off the tops and put in blender.

Now do the same with two tomatoes until their skins peel off.

Chop up an onion and put it in as well.

Now juice a lime, add two cloves of garlic and a handful of coriander/cilantro.

Teaspoon of salt and pepper and then blend.

I guess if you blend long enough you could call it a sauce.

If it's too hot you can de-seed the jalapeños first but then it feels like real work to make.

saor

Honorary Master
Habeneros. Honey. Place in jar, ensuring the honey covers the chillis.

Wait 2 years.

Enjoy.

You'll thank me for this if you have enough patience. The Habeneros look like raisens at the end, but have not lost heat. The honey adds sweetness to that amazing Habenero flavour.
Interesting.
Do you chop the ends off so the honey can get inside the chili?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Sounds hot, although i've never heared about it ?
Kambuzi Chilli made using a gindungo recope

Put in oven with some oil, and roast with onions and garlic (both unpeeled) . Roast for 30 mins

Peal the onions and garlic. Take the stalks off the chilli. Add some vinegar and salt . Blitz together

Wait to cool, then bottle, enduring that you top up the oil regularly. Some people will only be able to handle the chilli infused oil. Chilli lovers will attack the whole thing

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Oh, and use gloves or when touching the chilli when taking the stalks off. I cried like baby about an hour after this despite washing my hands many times....Because I rubbed my eye once

HunterNW

Expert Member
Oh, and use gloves or when touching the chilli when taking the stalks off. I cried like baby about an hour after this despite washing my hands many times....Because I rubbed my eye once
Lmao, done that myself. Looks interesting, that whole recipe. Those Kambuzi chillis, how do their hotness compare to Jalapeno and habanero ?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Lmao, done that myself. Looks interesting, that whole recipe. Those Kambuzi chillis, how do their hotness compare to Jalapeno and habanero ?
They are similar to habanero in strength and flavour I feel. They don't have a sharp burn like birds eye.... And much tastier.

Am attempting same recipe with birds eye tomorrow. Just as an exercise. Got a shipment of them from Malawi a couple of hours ago

HunterNW

Expert Member
They are similar to habanero in strength and flavour I feel. They don't have a sharp burn like birds eye.... And much tastier.

Am attempting same recipe with birds eye tomorrow. Just as an exercise. Got a shipment of them from Malawi a couple of hours ago
From Malawi :wtf: You sure it's chillis ? Not maybe some green stuff ? :whistling:

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Can anyone recomend where i can get fresh habaneros all the way through winter in the johannesburg area preferably east rand?
I don't think that is possible. Fruit and veg city (food lovers market) tends to have habaneros, but I don't think they can get them during winter.

Your best bet is to buy what you need now and preserve it by either freezing it or drying it.

Alternatively, find someone with an indoor hydroponics system!

saor

Honorary Master
A small batch of yellow ghost peppers, 7-pot brain, some red thai chili and a few Tabasco peppers, onion, garlic, pear.

In the oven to bake with a bit of oil.
Blend with apple-cider vinegar, salt & honey.
Cook on stove.
Blend again.

Nice & spicy :).

20170213-P1020692.jpg
20170214-P1020695.jpg

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Lucky bliksem. I've got seed, bought from the same place, BUT, i can't get them to germinate ? Tried about every trick in the book. Except I don't have their germinator thing.
Pour water into a glass jar, then tip it upside down so that the water falls out. Some water will remain inside the glass jar.

Put the seeds in the jar, screw the lid on tight, and put it indoors in a sunny spot. Wait 2-3 weeks.

HunterNW

Expert Member
Pour water into a glass jar, then tip it upside down so that the water falls out. Some water will remain inside the glass jar.

Put the seeds in the jar, screw the lid on tight, and put it indoors in a sunny spot. Wait 2-3 weeks.
Interesting. Never heard that trick. I'll do it this afternoon. :D

saor

Honorary Master
Didn't want to risk using my homegrown chilies for this fermented hot sauce (I've had a batch go bad before) so luckily found a mixed bag of red habaneros, jalapeno and some regular chilies.

This is the plan:

● Remove ends, chop & remove soft white insides.
● Process to a coarse sludge with 5-6% salt (by weight), this is known as the mash.
● Store in a jar, top up with a little bit of brine.
● Seal and stick on the airlock & suck out some air.
● Leave in a dark place for 1 month +.

Dem peppers...
20170220-P1020715.jpg

Chopped and weighed (prior to being processed with the salt).
Also weighed out the salt right after this...
20170220-P1020716.jpg

The mash after coming out the blender / food processor:
20170220-P1020718.jpg

Ready to store:
20170220-P1020719.jpg

Should start seeing some bubbles in a few days...

Last edited: