• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

The Official Homebrewed Chilli sauce Thread

bavmorda

Didn't want to risk using my homegrown chilies for this fermented hot sauce (I've had a batch go bad before) so luckily found a mixed bag of red habaneros, jalapeno and some regular chilies.

This is the plan:

● Remove ends, chop & remove soft white insides.
● Process to a coarse sludge with 5-6% salt (by weight), this is known as the mash.
● Store in a jar, top up with a little bit of brine.
● Seal and stick on the airlock & suck out some air.
● Leave in a dark place for 1 month +.

Dem peppers...
View attachment 419162

Chopped and weighed (prior to being processed with the salt).
Also weighed out the salt right after this...
View attachment 419164

The mash after coming out the blender / food processor:
View attachment 419166

Ready to store:
View attachment 419168

Should start seeing some bubbles in a few days...
This does look like a mean rocket launcher :) Sorry for the ignorant question, but what is the purpose of this device on top.

saor

Honorary Master
This does look like a mean rocket launcher :) Sorry for the ignorant question, but what is the purpose of this device on top.
It's an airlock that let's gas out but nothing back in.
With most vegetable/fruit lacto-fermantation you want to keep oxygen out so that no mold grows & it doesn't spoil.
The airlock allows CO2 pressure produced by the fermentation to escape without letting oxygen back in.
That bottle can stay on the shelf fermenting for over a year without having to worry about it.

Really useful when making saurkraut, kimchi & other fermented foods.

bavmorda

It's an airlock that let's gas out but nothing back in.
With most vegetable/fruit lacto-fermantation you want to keep oxygen out so that no mold grows & it doesn't spoil.
The airlock allows CO2 pressure produced by the fermentation to escape without letting oxygen back in.
That bottle can stay on the shelf fermenting for over a year without having to worry about it.

Really useful when making saurkraut, kimchi & other fermented foods.
OK I see, thanks for the chemistry lesson :)

saor

Honorary Master
Ingredients:

● Red Habenero
● A few Ghost peppers for heat
● Onion
● Garlic
● Pineapple
● Mango
● Honey
● Salt
● Vinegar

The goods:
20170226-P1020733.jpg

A few ingredients going under the grill:
20170226-P1020735.jpg

Mango in a blender:
20170226-P1020734.jpg

Smoother, smoother:
20170226-P1020737.jpg

The product:
20170226-P1020739.jpg

Really nice sauce, not that hot at all - I can easily just eat this straight. Will maybe try getting the pineapple grilled on an open flame next time just to increase the depth of flavor from it. The fruits will become a regular ingredient from now on. Also used regular white grape vinegar this time (rather than apple cider v) and it's a nice change.

saor

Honorary Master
depth of flavor > cultural norms :p.

Thinking of doing just chili and pineapple, maybe some lemon for a kinda desert hot-sauce. These fruity ingredients really go well in a hot sauce to balance the heat. Problem is it becomes so easy to just use copious amounts of the stuff on everything.

Last edited:

TheTwo

Expert Member
Ingredients:

● Red Habenero
● A few Ghost peppers for heat
● Onion
● Garlic
● Pineapple
● Mango
● Honey
● Salt
● Vinegar

The goods:
View attachment 420294

A few ingredients going under the grill:
View attachment 420296

Mango in a blender:
View attachment 420298

Smoother, smoother:
View attachment 420300

The product:
View attachment 420302

Really nice sauce, not that hot at all - I can easily just eat this straight. Will maybe try getting the pineapple grilled on an open flame next time just to increase the depth of flavor from it. The fruits will become a regular ingredient from now on. Also used regular white grape vinegar this time (rather than apple cider v) and it's a nice change.
This looks amazing. You could also add a drop or two of that liquid smoke from woolies for a smokey flavour?

saor

Honorary Master
Yellow sauce:

● Ghost & Tabasco peppers
● Pineapple (lots!)
● Onion
● Garlic
● Lemon
● Salt
● Vinegar
● Honey maybe?

Cook, blend & strain.

Yellow sauce ingredients:
20170226-P1020753.jpg

Deathly red sauce:

● 7-pot brain, thai red, ghost
● Beetroot (roast)
● Onion (roast)
● Garlic (roast)
● Chipotle
● Dash of hickory
● Birkenhead Lager
● Vinegar
● Salt
● Honey

Cook & blend. Leave chunky for extra evil.

Deathly red sauce ingredients:
20170226-P1020755.jpg

The days haul - 3 sauces:
20170226-P1020757.jpg

Last edited:

HunterNW

Expert Member
Didn't want to risk using my homegrown chilies for this fermented hot sauce (I've had a batch go bad before) so luckily found a mixed bag of red habaneros, jalapeno and some regular chilies.

This is the plan:

● Remove ends, chop & remove soft white insides.
● Process to a coarse sludge with 5-6% salt (by weight), this is known as the mash.
● Store in a jar, top up with a little bit of brine.
● Seal and stick on the airlock & suck out some air.
● Leave in a dark place for 1 month +.

Dem peppers...
View attachment 419162

Chopped and weighed (prior to being processed with the salt).
Also weighed out the salt right after this...
View attachment 419164

The mash after coming out the blender / food processor:
View attachment 419166

Ready to store:
View attachment 419168

Should start seeing some bubbles in a few days...
So - Any bubbles yet ? And what does your brine consists of ? That red cap on the bubbler, is it just loosely on or a tight fit ? O, and what type of salt did you use ?

saor

Honorary Master
So - Any bubbles yet ? And what does your brine consists of ? That red cap on the bubbler, is it just loosely on or a tight fit ? O, and what type of salt did you use ?
Nah it developed mould :(. Have another batch going - will post pics later.

The brine is 5% salt (by weight) to water. Either spring or distilled water and the salt is usually pink Himalayan or some other kind of unprocessed salt. The red cap - it's loose fitting, can probably leave it off but it maybe keeps some dust & bugs out so it's on there.

I suspect it's also still too warm to get these chili ferments going without spoiling. Warm weather needs a higher salt content but more salt = less fermentation. Hopefully have more luck as the weather starts to cool down.

Made a peach & tequila sauce over the weekend with those habeneros which came out quite nice.

HunterNW

Expert Member
Nah it developed mould :(. Have another batch going - will post pics later.

I've read you just take off the mould ? Give it a stir and leave it again. Other thing i've read is to cover it with cheesecloth first, and when it starts fermenting put the bubbler on. Crap - i've chopped Jalapenos Saturday, in a bottle with the said 2% salt and water with a bubbler mounted on the lid. Will check today what's happening. This seems like a nice expirement. Also read some guys use some sort of extra "stuff ??" to help start the fermenting process.

saor

Honorary Master
I've read you just take off the mould ? Give it a stir and leave it again. Other thing i've read is to cover it with cheesecloth first, and when it starts fermenting put the bubbler on. Crap - i've chopped Jalapenos Saturday, in a bottle with the said 2% salt and water with a bubbler mounted on the lid. Will check today what's happening. This seems like a nice expirement. Also read some guys use some sort of extra "stuff ??" to help start the fermenting process.
Kahm yeast I'm ok with - it's a kinda silky white mold that develops uniformly on top. I've had it on saurkraut and skimmed it off but on this chili ferment I got something different - started growing in the corner and looked sinister. I still have it will take a pic later.

I've seen some people use whey or starters that come in a packet but I just like the idea of a brine ferment - all my kimchi & veg ferments have always worked out really well with just salt so I'd like to get this chili working with brine. Usually with veg ferments I'll put a few cabbage leaves over the top to keep all the solids submerged in the brine - might try that with another batch of chili.

Post some pics of your experiment :).

saor

Honorary Master
Looks like some small bubbles are forming
I had a hard time with chopped jalapenos but that was after 4 weeks. Summer weather I think a week or two tops should be enough. You might get some mold on those top one's that aren't submerged - be interesting to see what happens. How long you planning to let that sit for?

Here's the failed batch:
c2.jpg

And trying again with a slightly different mix (more equal ratios of veg to chili):
c1.jpg

HunterNW

Expert Member
I'm not sure how long it should sit ? Read that when the bubbling stops it's finished ? Or can you let it sit like that for say.... 3 - 9 months ?

saor

Honorary Master
I'm not sure how long it should sit ? Read that when the bubbling stops it's finished ? Or can you let it sit like that for say.... 3 - 9 months ?
Opened your chili jar yet?

Mine is looking good - for the first time I don't have any mold forming after the first week. If everything is looking ok after 4 weeks I'm gonna try let it sit for another month or two.

IMAG2950_1280x720.jpg

HunterNW

Expert Member
Opened your chili jar yet?

Mine is looking good - for the first time I don't have any mold forming after the first week. If everything is looking ok after 4 weeks I'm gonna try let it sit for another month or two.
Morning. I checked it over the weekend, no mould, but also it isn't really bubbling ? How did you make that stuff ? Did you blend everything ?