Expert Member
From what I've read here:

- Vinegar/Balsamic/Apple Cider
- Tomato's
- Onions
- Green Peppers
- Salt + Pepper
- Chilli Flakes
- Your choice of chilli's /Jalepeno's etc...
- Garlic? (I like it)
- Maybe some herbs?

Am I on the right track here?

saor

Honorary Master
It's difficult to go wrong with it :). My basic would be vinegar, chilli, garlic, onion, salt, honey - cooked for about 15 minutes then quickly pulsed to get it more saucy. That list of yours looks pretty good. Maybe brown the onion and green peppers before adding the rest of the ingredients to cook. If it ends up being not hot enough - you'll still have a decent relish going on & the stuff lasts pretty well in the fridge.

froot

Honorary Master
No has a basic guide of chilli sauce?
Am tempted to just throw a few things together, but don't want to stuff it up.
Any basic recipe would help, can build from there.
There's a million different recipes out there. I've been going at it for a year or three now, and have had some fails, and some epic wins.
There is no "basic guide" though - it all depends on what you want to make.

I've got three different base sauces though - hot oily sauce, a relish-base one, and a dip type sauce.

I made a really nice Caribbean sauce the other day, with mango as a base which helps with both flavour and some substance.

IceQB

Expert Member
I've gone thru a few. Made a list of ingredients so will hopefully give it a try tomorrow & post results.

saor

Honorary Master
No super hot chillies unfortunately...had to make do with Habenero. The round things are peppadews, and I added vinegar, salt & honey.

chillisauce.jpg

IceQB

Expert Member
Forgot to update, ended up more a salsa than a sauce. But very tasty indeed.
Have to source some stronger chillis next time.

Executive Member
The habaneros have been coming in fantastically well. I roasted about 15 of them along with carrots, red and orange peppers and onion. Also roasted some garlic. Put the lot into a pot with some water and apple cider vinegar, and a little bit of salt and brown sugar. Cooked it down, blended it up, added more water and vinegar, put it back in the heat. After some tasting, I decided it was needed more depth of flavour. So I added some stuff. Can't really remember now... a bit of lime juice, a dash of liquid smoke, some soy sauce maybe. I may or may not have tossed some very dark chocolate in there, but I can't recall doing so. It's now this delicious sauce with a bite that I want to put over everything.

saor

Honorary Master
I may or may not have tossed some very dark chocolate in there, but I can't recall doing so. It's now this delicious sauce with a bite that I want to put over everything.
:D

Sounds delicious tho. Gonna roast the garlic next time too. I can't survive without a jar of hot & tasty chilli sauce in the fridge...now that there's loads habeneros going around I'll need to buy more and make a load of sauce before winter hits proper and there's a chilli drought again :).

saor

Honorary Master
Found what I'm quite sure are red Habaneros at Checkers. Loaded up and made a nice basic sauce. Wanted to make it more runny / pourable this time - actually need to get a nice bottle to put it in. Anyway.

// Brown onions in pot
// Put chillies & browned onion into blender with some water & apple cider vinegar.
// Blend, then put into pot with salt, cayenne pepper & garlic and cook for about 15 minutes.
// Back into blender with palm sugar for another 30 seconds to get it really nice & smooth.

Came out nice & tangy with a surprisingly hot bite.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Bump for the chili season!
Anyone else brewing up some spicy stuff?

Got my first little haul of fruits to be sauced soon - Habenero, cayenne, tabasco, 7-pot brain:

20170122-P1020570.jpg

scudsucker

Expert Member
Habeneros. Honey. Place in jar, ensuring the honey covers the chillis.

Wait 2 years.

Enjoy.

You'll thank me for this if you have enough patience. The Habeneros look like raisens at the end, but have not lost heat. The honey adds sweetness to that amazing Habenero flavour.

froot

Honorary Master
Habeneros. Honey. Place in jar, ensuring the honey covers the chillis.

Wait 2 years.

Enjoy.

You'll thank me for this if you have enough patience. The Habeneros look like raisens at the end, but have not lost heat. The honey adds sweetness to that amazing Habenero flavour.
You're making my mouth water now.

I had some Naga Jolakias in storage, and coincidentally just yesterday I made myself a pot of hot sauce. Kept it basic, and oh my.... the flavour is amazing.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Basic Habanero hot sauce

I tried this : (But I added a little mustard sauce and masala and a lot more habaneros)

Ingredients
•6 habanero peppers, minced
•1 small carrot, minced
•1 small sweet onion, chopped
•¼ cup white vinegar
•1 garlic clove, chopped
•2 tablespoons lime juice
•1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
•1 teaspoon water

Directions
1.Heat a sauté pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
2.Add carrots and sauté about 5 minutes.
3.Add onion and garlic and sauté an additional 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
4.Transfer mixture to a food processor along with habanero peppers and water. Process until smooth. Add or remove water as desired to achieve your desired consistency.
5.Add vinegar and lime juice and pulse to combine.
6.Transfer sauce mixture back to sauté pan and simmer on low heat about 5 minutes.
7.Refrigerate to cool and serve.

NOTE: You can preserve your sauce in sterilized bottles and keep them in the refrigerator, or simply cool and serve immediately.

froot

Honorary Master
I tried this : (But I added a little mustard sauce and masala and a lot more habaneros)

Ingredients
•6 habanero peppers, minced
•1 small carrot, minced
•1 small sweet onion, chopped
•¼ cup white vinegar
•1 garlic clove, chopped
•2 tablespoons lime juice
•1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
•1 teaspoon water

Directions
1.Heat a sauté pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
2.Add carrots and sauté about 5 minutes.
3.Add onion and garlic and sauté an additional 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
4.Transfer mixture to a food processor along with habanero peppers and water. Process until smooth. Add or remove water as desired to achieve your desired consistency.
5.Add vinegar and lime juice and pulse to combine.
6.Transfer sauce mixture back to sauté pan and simmer on low heat about 5 minutes.
7.Refrigerate to cool and serve.

NOTE: You can preserve your sauce in sterilized bottles and keep them in the refrigerator, or simply cool and serve immediately.

This is a very nice recipe.
I typically however do the following:
Masala as a standard (I have masala brought over from India)
Move olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
I also add some small tomatoes, it gives some extra meat to the sauce.

I've preserved my sauce in sterilised jars and some have been in a dark cupboard for over a year now. Just make sure they seal properly.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I got some kambuzi chillies from Malawi

Made my sauce using a gindungo recipe.
Will post pics once I resize them