The official Mikrotik router thread

Xzib1t

Expert Member

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Those rack mount ears look a bit silly IMHO.

I want to ask Vumatel if they will give me an ONT with SFP out so I can my existing SFP port on my RB2011 - in the process I'll be able to free up an ethernet port :)
Unfortunately not.. their CPE maps a CVLAN to the Ethernet ports which is what gets you onto an SP's network (VLAN). But a cheap and easy fix for the RB2011 is to use the Mikrotik SFP-RJ45 (S-RJ01) Module. That leaves you with 10 LAN ports. Quick note here, Mikrotik default conf will give you grief using LAN 1 as a LAN port. Best bet is to reset without default configuration. Then configure SFP as WAN, Bridge your LAN ports (6.41+ automatically defaults this to HW switch, configure your IPs, DHCP Server, Firewall and NAT. It's a mission but beats the default conf.

DWPTA

Expert Member
Unfortunately not.. their CPE maps a CVLAN to the Ethernet ports which is what gets you onto an SP's network (VLAN). But a cheap and easy fix for the RB2011 is to use the Mikrotik SFP-RJ45 (S-RJ01) Module. That leaves you with 10 LAN ports. Quick note here, Mikrotik default conf will give you grief using LAN 1 as a LAN port. Best bet is to reset without default configuration. Then configure SFP as WAN, Bridge your LAN ports (6.41+ automatically defaults this to HW switch, configure your IPs, DHCP Server, Firewall and NAT. It's a mission but beats the default conf.
It's mostly for the home user, but I always reset to default with no config when setting up a new mikrotik.

Almost like setting up a vanilla linux server, you get the option to install LAMP, but I rather install the base and install each program on it's own.

Thor

Honorary Master
Hello can one use the POE on port 5 with the MikroTik hEX S when powering the device via the DC power supply or does the POE out only work when you have POE in on Lan 1?

rorz0r

Executive Member
Hello can one use the POE on port 5 with the MikroTik hEX S when powering the device via the DC power supply or does the POE out only work when you have POE in on Lan 1?
I haven't looked at the power requirements etc of the hex s but yes it will supply passive Poe out when powered with the DC power supply.

Thor

Honorary Master
I haven't looked at the power requirements etc of the hex s but yes it will supply passive Poe out when powered with the DC power supply.
That is good news because what I want to do is as follows:
ZyXell VDSL ----> LAN 1 ---> Hex S

Hex S
----> LAN 2 ----> SERVER 1
----> LAN 3 ----> Gigabit Switch 16
-----------------------------> PC 1
-----------------------------> PC 2
-----------------------------> TV 1
-----------------------------> TV 2
----> LAN 5 POE out ----> RbcAPGi-5acD2nD
--------------------------------->Main Wifi
------------------------------------> Chromecast 1
------------------------------------> Chromecast 2
------------------------------------> Samsung Phone 1
------------------------------------> Samsung Phone 2
------------------------------------> Samsung Tablet 1
------------------------------------> Samsung Tablet 2
------------------------------------------------>Guest Wifi
---------------------------------------------------> Guest 1
---------------------------------------------------> Guest 2

Anthro

Expert Member
Im in the market for a Mikrotik router (Home use)
Decent WiFi, Gigabit LAN, and the ability to set a VLAN on the WAN interface..
Suggestions for someting along those lines ?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Im in the market for a Mikrotik router (Home use)
Decent WiFi, Gigabit LAN, and the ability to set a VLAN on the WAN interface..
Suggestions for someting along those lines ?
If you're willing to wait a little, the 4011 will be great. Otherwise the HapAC2 - RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC is a great choice. 5 x GB LAN, AC WiFi and a few other bells and whistles - and will route pretty close to 1 Gbps (depending on the CPU load).

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
If you're willing to wait a little, the 4011 will be great. Otherwise the HapAC2 - RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC is a great choice. 5 x GB LAN, AC WiFi and a few other bells and whistles - and will route pretty close to 1 Gbps (depending on the CPU load).
+1 Ive read this is the Go To. It apparently has a faster CPU than the one in my RB750GR3 (and it has wifi that you can use if you want). Its also a newer model if that matters.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
Was hoping other memeber could answer my next question.... What is the wifi performance like on the RbcAPGi-5acD2nD
Nice. When you get it up and running please post back here on the wifi performance.

Thor

Honorary Master

crowbar2008

I use the RB750Gr3 at about 15 of my clients. All of them which connects to a L2TP/IPSec vpn to my hex lite at my home office this in turn gives me access to any customers network when I need to make changes.

I would disagree about ubiquity APs being the best. Yes its a really awesome product only because you can control them via the cloud key or the on site controller software on a windows based machines. Mikrotik has CAPSman. And boy does it work very well when you have figured it out and using the new 2nd AC APs

Some of the first things I do when I install a new mikrotik at a clients premises.

1. Under system services disable all services and only allow the winbox service to be enabled also change port too a random port and only allow access from a specific IP/subnet

2. Add another admin user and disable the standard “admin” login

3. Set a static IP to a bridge I create and only enable the ports that will be used as my WAN and LAN ports.

4. Load my basic firewall list

5. Create my dhcp pool and assign it to my bridge

6. Make device IPs static and setup simple quees for them to allow only certain amounts of BW to be used.

7. Couple more small things here and there to make it secure.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I use the RB750Gr3 at about 15 of my clients. All of them which connects to a L2TP/IPSec vpn to my hex lite at my home office this in turn gives me access to any customers network when I need to make changes.

I would disagree about ubiquity APs being the best. Yes its a really awesome product only because you can control them via the cloud key or the on site controller software on a windows based machines. Mikrotik has CAPSman. And boy does it work very well when you have figured it out and using the new 2nd AC APs

Some of the first things I do when I install a new mikrotik at a clients premises.

1. Under system services disable all services and only allow the winbox service to be enabled also change port too a random port and only allow access from a specific IP/subnet

2. Add another admin user and disable the standard “admin” login

3. Set a static IP to a bridge I create and only enable the ports that will be used as my WAN and LAN ports.

4. Load my basic firewall list

5. Create my dhcp pool and assign it to my bridge

6. Make device IPs static and setup simple quees for them to allow only certain amounts of BW to be used.

7. Couple more small things here and there to make it secure.
I have definitely read that their earlier APs were not that great ( thats when Ubiquiti got a solid reputation), but that their newer Gen of APs are super solid.

Nicholas Marzio

Looking to replace my RB2011UiAS-RM & CRS125-24G-1S-RM with a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ & CRS312-4C-8XG.

But I an torn between the RB1100x4 and the RB4011 instead of the CCR.

Aiming to do 10G internal because why not. :p

Moosedrool

Expert Member
RB 750 cheapskate ones hits 100% CPU when routing 4 peoples udp traffic from their data. :/