The official running thread™

I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year
 
I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year
Listen to your body and just run a bit less then.. surely running a bit less is better than no running at all
 
I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year

What pace are you running on average?

Are you doing any strength/cross training work?

Do you use a heart rate monitor?
 
I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year
That sounds incredibly frustrating. Have they been able to advise you on the cause(s) and what can be done to recover and prevent issues going forward?

I hope you come right and whatever it is can be remedied with sufficient recovery time and some conditioning work. Would be a shame to have to give up on running altogether because of injury.
 
I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year
I've struggled with niggles/injuries ever since comrades this year and it's frustrating. We don't know your story but can only offer general advice like double-check shoes, run-walk more often and don't be shy about it.
 
What pace are you running on average?

Are you doing any strength/cross training work?

Do you use a heart rate monitor?
Pace: Anywhere between 5:45 and 6:15 / km at the moment. Have done some track workouts, and then go up to 3:00 / km for a few hundred meters. Best parkrun time this year is only 26:40ish.
Strength/Cross: See long story at the end
HRM: Yes, but only for stats, not to direct me during a run. Generally I have a low heart rate, resting rate is around 45, and once training and morning after a rest day will drop down to closer to 40
Max during a run? Most of my runs are in zone 2, and according to Garmin Connect (the month view) my max HR has been in the low 160s

That sounds incredibly frustrating. Have they been able to advise you on the cause(s) and what can be done to recover and prevent issues going forward?

I hope you come right and whatever it is can be remedied with sufficient recovery time and some conditioning work. Would be a shame to have to give up on running altogether because of injury.
Full journey below

I've struggled with niggles/injuries ever since comrades this year and it's frustrating. We don't know your story but can only offer general advice like double-check shoes, run-walk more often and don't be shy about it.

My issues started with a tight left hamstring in 2017. However leading up to 2017 I drifted more towards cycling than running. From 2017 to 2019 I wasn't doing much of anything really, although I kept active

During lockdown I upped my cycling again - not even hectic, nothing like I when I actively did cycling races. The middle of 2020 I was diagnosed with a proximal hamstring tendinopathy (left). I did about 4 sessions of shockwave therapy for this (brutal stuff!).

Second half of 2021 I tried to up my running again, but my left hip (more the outside/front pelvis bone that the joint) became super sore, so I backed off on the weekly distance. This year I decided to go shorter, but added intensity, and it all came back, leaving me with a slight limp when walking (especially when cold).

I landed up at very good biokineticists who (connected to a university), and after not responding to treatment, they referred me to a physio (Was part of the medical team for an International athletics teams at Wold Athletics Championships in Eugene last year (Not ZA athletics track, although she has connections to quite a few local elite athletes - a world record holder included). The physio diagnosed my issue as ITB related, but manifesting at the top (apparently very rare), so the bios kept on focusing on glute medius and the TFL (tensor fasciae latae).

The physio got rid of the hip pain in two sessions! During all of this the bios did a running gait analysis, and was happy with the type of shoe (neutral) I was running in, not so much with the minimal nature of those I used, so I got a pair of Brooks Ghost 14s to add some dampening to easy runs.

The bios, after 12 hip/glute strengthening sessions started to focus on my hamstrings after a test on a Biodex machine to quantify imbalances. In the mean time I took up Pilates (1 to 2 sessions a week) and started upping distance again from a weekly 15-20km, and BOOM! back to 2017 (sore hamstring)

Haven't done any running this week, but might go for an easy on/off road 5k tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Pace: Anywhere between 5:45 and 6:15 / km at the moment. Have done some track workouts, and then go up to 3:00 / km for a few hundred meters. Best parkrun time this year is only 26:40ish.
I've read everything but what strikes out most to me is your pace. What have the physios and experts said with regarding to intensity levels? I mean obviously if you have ITB and other issues, intensity is the last thing you want to do when you're back on the road. When you do your easy run tomorrow, why not keep it zone 2 with a proper easy pace?

I look it at like this, I may be slower than what I want but at least it's keeping me more injury free,+ down the line I will become strong enough to go fast again and that too with the added benefit of a bigger aerobic baseline!
 
Pace: Anywhere between 5:45 and 6:15 / km at the moment. Have done some track workouts, and then go up to 3:00 / km for a few hundred meters. Best parkrun time this year is only 26:40ish.
Strength/Cross: See long story at the end
HRM: Yes, but only for stats, not to direct me during a run. Generally I have a low heart rate, resting rate is around 45, and once training and morning after a rest day will drop down to closer to 40
Max during a run? Most of my runs are in zone 2, and according to Garmin Connect (the month view) my max HR has been in the low 160s


Full journey below



My issues started with a tight left hamstring in 2017. However leading up to 2017 I drifted more towards cycling than running. From 2017 to 2019 I wasn't doing much of anything really, although I kept active

During lockdown I upped my cycling again - not even hectic, nothing like I when I actively did cycling races. The middle of 2020 I was diagnosed with a proximal hamstring tendinopathy (left). I did about 4 sessions of shockwave therapy for this (brutal stuff!).

Second half of 2021 I tried to up my running again, but my left hip (more the outside/front pelvis bone that the joint) became super sore, so I backed off on the weekly distance. This year I decided to go shorter, but added intensity, and it all came back, leaving me with a slight limp when walking (especially when cold).

I landed up at very good biokineticists who (connected to a university), and after not responding to treatment, they referred me to a physio (Was part of the medical team for an International athletics teams at Wold Athletics Championships in Eugene last year (Not ZA athletics track, although she has connections to quite a few local elite athletes - a world record holder included). The physio diagnosed my issue as ITB related, but manifesting at the top (apparently very rare), so the bios kept on focusing on glute medius and the TFL (tensor fasciae latae).

The physio got rid of the hip pain in two sessions! During all of this the bios did a running gait analysis, and was happy with the type of shoe (neutral) I was running in, not so much with the minimal nature of those I used, so I got a pair of Brooks Ghost 14s to add some dampening to easy runs.

The bios, after 12 hip/glute strengthening sessions started to focus on my hamstrings after a test on a Biodex machine to quantify imbalances. In the mean time I took up Pilates (1 to 2 sessions a week) and started upping distance again from a weekly 15-20km, and BOOM! back to 2017 (sore hamstring)

Haven't done any running this week, but might go for an easy on/off road 5k tomorrow.
Increasing mileage leading to sore hams as opposed to persistent pain is a good sign - shows weakness that can't handle the load.

I would suggest you pinpoint the source of the pain and slowly work/stretch/roll that muscle.

Do not quit on the running but significantly lower your pace where you aiming to keep your heart rate below 130 or about 7:30/km and preferably on a flat surface. Alternatively brisk walking on a treadmill at max incline is as close you can get to running without running.

Biggest mistake I made was scale back on endurance, strength, mobility and flexibility work when the niggles started and just focused on rest and recovery hoping the issue goes away. It doesn't.

You just come back with the same weakness, unfit and basically starting with your running ability from scratch.

Sounds like a very frustrating and painful experience and hope you reach full recovery soon.
 
I've read everything but what strikes out most to me is your pace. What have the physios and experts said with regarding to intensity levels? I mean obviously if you have ITB and other issues, intensity is the last thing you want to do when you're back on the road. When you do your easy run tomorrow, why not keep it zone 2 with a proper easy pace?

I look it at like this, I may be slower than what I want but at least it's keeping me more injury free,+ down the line I will become strong enough to go fast again and that too with the added benefit of a bigger aerobic baseline!
I hear you, all very frustrating. More so taking into account the total back down on running / cycling the last few years, even guarding against too much intensity. Feels like it all has been for naught (except the tax deduction ...)

The 5km (31:15) felt very easy today, and no niggles afterwards. Pace felt dreadfully slow, not sure I can actually run any slower (without hills). Might just keep the longer runs to 45 minutes or so (defininately sub 1 hour).

My current thinking is that if I have to run any slower than this, I'd rather focus on strength work (hips, glutes & hamstrings) and use cycling for cardio conditioning, adding a weekly parkrun / myrun
 
I hear you, all very frustrating. More so taking into account the total back down on running / cycling the last few years, even guarding against too much intensity. Feels like it all has been for naught (except the tax deduction ...)

The 5km (31:15) felt very easy today, and no niggles afterwards. Pace felt dreadfully slow, not sure I can actually run any slower (without hills). Might just keep the longer runs to 45 minutes or so (defininately sub 1 hour).

My current thinking is that if I have to run any slower than this, I'd rather focus on strength work (hips, glutes & hamstrings) and use cycling for cardio conditioning, adding a weekly parkrun / myrun
I suffer from a right hip problem that can be debilitating to the point where if I run the pain is so extreme I start tripping when I put pressure on the leg.

I know it is genetic problem called ankylosing spondylitis that is the cause but unfortunately the only relief is to keep healthy. I have been to lots of physios and bios who said it was the sciatic nerve and release it but recently I went to a physio who treats my hamstring which fixes the hip. Wierd but it works, point is a second, third, fourth opinion can't hurt.

Things that help me are having a hockey ball that I roll on so I can focus on the sore part, sometimes but not always I can fix it this way.

When upping distance on long runs only do trails where your max speed can't exceed 7.30km, big hills, lots of climbing, uneven rocks, big/small strides. Basically a hike with a bit of running but takes 2hours+. This helps me strengthen things I didn't know needed strengthening. Only after 5-10 of these do I move onto road.

Band work, sideways walking 1,1,2,2,3,3 all the way to 10, monster walk and public bone stretch. Which I follow up with a 7 minute abs
like this for some core strength.

You just have to find the right thing that works for you and keep changing it up untill you find it.
 
I might give up on the whole running thing. Body keeps on breaking when I do 1 hour or longer runs, also when I have a few 30km+ weeks after each other. Very fed up, especially after having been to the physios and bios for 30+ times this year

I was/am in the same place. Started small, ended up on ultra marathons. With permanent injuries that never went away. I took years off and now I'm on short little 3km runs.

As far as I can figure out that's what my body can handle. It takes effort to resist the urge to go 5km,10km 21km,Marathon,Ultra again. It's human nature to keep pushing. Did one 21km this year, but now I'm happy to just tick over with 3x3km per week.

Edit: I believe that if you aren't a lightweight sub 75kg person, long distance running does more harm than good.
 
I was/am in the same place. Started small, ended up on ultra marathons. With permanent injuries that never went away. I took years off and now I'm on short little 3km runs.

As far as I can figure out that's what my body can handle. It takes effort to resist the urge to go 5km,10km 21km,Marathon,Ultra again. It's human nature to keep pushing. Did one 21km this year, but now I'm happy to just tick over with 3x3km per week.

Edit: I believe that if you aren't a lightweight sub 75kg person, long distance running does more harm than good.
Personally never went for marathons, preferred to go up to 1/2 marathons with 1:45 being a good "easy race" time. In road cycling the organizers used to bump me up into license vets in big races (was a regular A or occasional B buncher in most other events). I somehow managed to make it up to sa champs for cgt in duathlon.

I'm around 80kg and might slip up to 83 from time to time, with that disproportionately (the 80, not the 83) distributed in my legs vs upper body.

So yes, frustrating. Especially having (had?) dreams (illusions?) of participating in masters athletics. Luckily I still have a theoretical 45+ years before they run out of age categories in that!

So maybe time to embrace the parkrun touristing thing. At least I am halfway to a windgat cap already. :cautious:
 
Last edited:
I suffer from a right hip problem that can be debilitating to the point where if I run the pain is so extreme I start tripping when I put pressure on the leg.

I know it is genetic problem called ankylosing spondylitis that is the cause but unfortunately the only relief is to keep healthy. I have been to lots of physios and bios who said it was the sciatic nerve and release it but recently I went to a physio who treats my hamstring which fixes the hip. Wierd but it works, point is a second, third, fourth opinion can't hurt.

Things that help me are having a hockey ball that I roll on so I can focus on the sore part, sometimes but not always I can fix it this way.

When upping distance on long runs only do trails where your max speed can't exceed 7.30km, big hills, lots of climbing, uneven rocks, big/small strides. Basically a hike with a bit of running but takes 2hours+. This helps me strengthen things I didn't know needed strengthening. Only after 5-10 of these do I move onto road.

Band work, sideways walking 1,1,2,2,3,3 all the way to 10, monster walk and public bone stretch. Which I follow up with a 7 minute abs
like this for some core strength.

You just have to find the right thing that works for you and keep changing it up untill you find it.
I stay in a smallish town with two bios and a 3 physios. Only one bio and none of the physics are any good. Middle of the year I had enough and contacted NWUs HPI, who referred me to the biokinetics dept. They referred me to a physio is really good (see obtuse comments original post).

I’m very happy with the current crop, so might just keep on going back to them. Might have to work on my patience as well...
 
The one weird thing though, is that you dont really know how fit you gonna be till your actual race. My plan currently doesn't have too much tempo but does have days targeting 'race pace' efforts.
That's why they encourage the taper. Unless you pick up an unforeseen injury, or experience severe sleep deprivation you should know a week in advance how the race will go.

Fordyce once said - if you can score a 5k pb or close to a pb a week before comrades you'll have a good race, which really emphasizes the importance of endurance and you up build endurance with the long slow, low intensity and low heart rate jogging.

Most athletes "cap" of this long run with a race pace effort before the cool down.

This means you're fresh enough to run the next day, thus maintaining your consistency.
 
Edit: I believe that if you aren't a lightweight sub 75kg person, long distance running does more harm than good.

I agree weight is a factor but the there's no hard and fast rule on the "kg" - I think it's more how much fat vs muscle you carrying.

Lose too much and you start to slow down and increase your risk of injury.
 
That's why they encourage the taper. Unless you pick up an unforeseen injury, or experience severe sleep deprivation you should know a week in advance how the race will go.

Fordyce once said - if you can score a 5k pb or close to a pb a week before comrades you'll have a good race, which really emphasizes the importance of endurance and you up build endurance with the long slow, low intensity and low heart rate jogging.

Most athletes "cap" of this long run with a race pace effort before the cool down.

This means you're fresh enough to run the next day, thus maintaining your consistency.
I was thinking about your fordyce quote, and I remember running my 5k PB two weeks after my first marathon.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X