The official running thread™

wise_guy

Expert Member
I've been doing a short 4-5km run once per week, for a couple months now. Today I did my fastest pace (average pace per km) yet my average HR was lower than normal.
Seems I am very affected by weather and when it's cooler I run faster with a lot less effort.
I realize this is kind of an obvious statement, but it's the degree of difference caused by the cool weather that surprised me most.
Is this fairly common, especially for you more seasoned runners?
Heat/Cool plays a is a massive factor as the cooler temperature has higher oxygen density but also dehydration affects your performance.
Comrades 2013 had the highest percentage of non finishers as it was one of the the hottest and windiest on record.

Well done on the weekly runs. How's your time?

now05ster

Expert Member
I have recently started running and am finding myself with tendon pain for the last two days. I am not even able to use my standing desk for extended periods of time without having pain. (The tendon pops/clicks as well). Dr Google says that it is my peroneal tendon that's acting up.

There isn't a particular event that caused this injury and looking at my running data below it is possible that this pain is as a result of my increased workout time and distance as of three days ago.

Would an ankle brace/lace help here and can anyone recommend a decent one? I would like to avoid further injury here as far as possible. Also, I assume I would still be able to use my same road running shoes with this?

I've searched this thread for related info, yet I was not able to find any. Apologies if this has been asked before. Screenshot_20201010-154710.jpg Screenshot_20201010-154748.jpg Screenshot_20201010-154806.jpg

roskii

@now05ster You are increasing your speed + distance at the same time. You are asking for injury. Only ever work on one of them at a time.

Early in your running career you are going to face niggles here in there. If its too painful to run then make sure you rest. If it doesn't subside after a few days then go see a physio. If you are itching to get back on the road/trails, do a combination of running and walking (eg: walk for 3min, run for 2min - max 30min)

Whenever I am training for an ultra, I always work in 4 week blocks. Let's say you start with 50km of mileage in week 1. You increase by only +-10% for week 2 (55km), and then the same for week 3 (60km+-). Week 4 you head back to your week 1 mileage ('recovery'). In week 5 (new block), you start on your original week 2 mileage (55km). You then build up again. Usually 3-4 blocks does the trick depending on the ultra distance / conditions.

The same principle can apply for any distance in my opinion. Always respect the 10% mileage limit.

Lastly, the right shoes play a role for certain people, however you can just be like me. I only wear Salomon's (their trail shoes - Sense Rides, Pro's and Ultra Pro's) for both the road and trail. Always worked for me. Some shoes are just good all rounders.

now05ster

Expert Member
@now05ster You are increasing your speed + distance at the same time. You are asking for injury. Only ever work on one of them at a time.

Early in your running career you are going to face niggles here in there. If its too painful to run then make sure you rest. If it doesn't subside after a few days then go see a physio. If you are itching to get back on the road/trails, do a combination of running and walking (eg: walk for 3min, run for 2min - max 30min)

Whenever I am training for an ultra, I always work in 4 week blocks. Let's say you start with 50km of mileage in week 1. You increase by only +-10% for week 2 (55km), and then the same for week 3 (60km+-). Week 4 you head back to your week 1 mileage ('recovery'). In week 5 (new block), you start on your original week 2 mileage (55km). You then build up again. Usually 3-4 blocks does the trick depending on the ultra distance / conditions.

The same principle can apply for any distance in my opinion. Always respect the 10% mileage limit.

Lastly, the right shoes play a role for certain people, however you can just be like me. I only wear Salomon's (their trail shoes - Sense Rides, Pro's and Ultra Pro's) for both the road and trail. Always worked for me. Some shoes are just good all rounders.
OK. Thank you for this. I think that I might need to address the probable cause of the issue by adjusting my running routine.

My goal for now is to achieve an average of 80% max heart rate for 30 minutes a day. I can therefore comfortably reduce my pace.

Keen to see a biokineticist sometime and give this thread a read through.

Man, running is awesome.

Eti1

Expert Member
OK. Thank you for this. I think that I might need to address the probable cause of the issue by adjusting my running routine.

My goal for now is to achieve an average of 80% max heart rate for 30 minutes a day. I can therefore comfortably reduce my pace.

Man, running is awesome.
Just take it easy. Tou have a lifetime of running ahead of you. Your muscles and tendons are weak. Respect that and build up the mileage slowly.

For me personally, my niggles have become way less frequent as a result of easy running ito mileage and pace, and improving my running form. Lighter footstrike and smaller steps means less force and pressure on your leg muscles.

I agree, running is indeed awesome.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Man, running is awesome.

I would also suggest that you look at incorporating some strength and mobility training as well as ensuring that you get enough rest and recovery. This can help increase your performance as well as reducing the risk of injury.

A Biokineticist should be able to advise you in this, particularly with respect to any injuries or pre-existing conditions.

You don't need to run every day and it is not necessarily beneficial to do so. My typical training week usually includes workouts and runs on alternate days with at least one full day of rest per week. Over time you learn to listen to your body and dial things back for a few days if you aren't performing well or if you start to feel aches, pains and niggles rather than aggravating the problem.

now05ster

Expert Member
I would also suggest that you look at incorporating some strength and mobility training as well as ensuring that you get enough rest and recovery. This can help increase your performance as well as reducing the risk of injury.

A Biokineticist should be able to advise you in this, particularly with respect to any injuries or pre-existing conditions.

You don't need to run every day and it is not necessarily beneficial to do so. My typical training week usually includes workouts and runs on alternate days with at least one full day of rest per week. Over time you learn to listen to your body and dial things back for a few days if you aren't performing well or if you start to feel aches, pains and niggles rather than aggravating the problem.
Ok, will check regarding the strength exercises. Ja, taking a break yesterday and today and will take it easy tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, guys. See, MYBB is not only a tech forum.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Ok, will check regarding the strength exercises. Ja, taking a break yesterday and today and will take it easy tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, guys. See, MYBB is not only a tech forum.
Don't forget stretching after your runs preferably using a foam roller.
Muscle tightness can cause all sorts of knee and ankle problems. Important video on how tightness can affect performance. Welcome to the runs

now05ster

Expert Member
Don't forget stretching after your runs preferably using a foam roller.
Muscle tightness can cause all sorts of knee and ankle problems. Important video on how tightness can affect performance. Welcome to the runs

Thanks! Will purchase one and watch this video. Other sites have also mentioned a foam roller.

gifs

Expert Member

Man, running is awesome.

A good heart rate to aim for is your Maximum Aerobic Function (MAF) heart rate. You can get an estimate of this heart rate by taking 180 minus your age. So if you are 35 years old, your MAF heart rate is 145. Try to get as close to this without exceeding it. This may well mean walking the uphills at first! Over time you should see an improvement in your pace at the same heart rate. This is a great way to start running to make sure you build a good aerobic base. Lot's of great info here.

now05ster

Expert Member
A good heart rate to aim for is your Maximum Aerobic Function (MAF) heart rate. You can get an estimate of this heart rate by taking 180 minus your age. So if you are 35 years old, your MAF heart rate is 145. Try to get as close to this without exceeding it. This may well mean walking the uphills at first! Over time you should see an improvement in your pace at the same heart rate. This is a great way to start running to make sure you build a good aerobic base. Lot's of great info here.
Thanks for this, I am going to check it out now. It's actually really interesting. I'm on Vitality and their exercise HR zones correlates closely to the above info.

Did a run this morning, only for 30 minutes and avg heart rate was 146 (I'm 36). Did not push it further than that and made sure that my workout was on a flat road with no weird inclines so as to give my injury a rest. What do you know, no debilitating pain in my peroneal tendon, today and I got my 300 Vitality points.

In hindsight I realised that, like an idiot, I was pushing too hard and trying to do so on inclines as well. This thread has proven to be a great read.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Anyone do yesterday's CT 21k?

Ended up just under 2:20. A bit chuffed cos I haven't run in 3 weeks cos of a dud knee. Stopping at home for a half way break didn't help either :oops:

Their app sucked though! Wish everyone would just stick to Strava and the other popular running apps instead of inventing their own :mad:

Charlesjjm

Ended up just under 2:20. A bit chuffed cos I haven't run in 3 weeks cos of a dud knee. Stopping at home for a half way break didn't help either :oops:

Their app sucked though! Wish everyone would just stick to Strava and the other popular running apps instead of inventing their own :mad:
I did, but 10k only. I'm still working on going back to 21k. I had no issues with the app, though. I quite enjoyed the commentary.

airborne

Honorary Master
What free android GPS app can I set a distance and then it'll alert me when I reach that distance so I know when to turn around?

VBot

Also did the half just under 2:20 and twice had to stop for my knee. Luckily I had my watch and only stopped after it hit 21.1k.

Virtual races have a lot of pros and cons
Pro:
I woke up at 6am and decided I am not going to run it, but then 7:30 saw the weather was fine and could still due to 06am-12:00 start time.
Was also nice not having to worry about traffic into town as I opted to do it in my neighbour.

Cons:
Man you miss that race day vibe
I am certain my time would have been better if it was a normal race
I struggled to run with both a water bottle and my phone as I usually don't run with those when just jogging.