South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Giving your body time to heal and absorb the benefits of previous training is not only smart,it can actually improve performance.It gives the body time to replenish all the mineral reserves ie. iron, magnesium and enhances muscle recovery. In my experience, I often set personal bests across various distances after taking a structured break. It wasn’t a complete stop.I cut down from my usual 10–14 runs per week to just 2–4 shorter runs (no longer than 12 km) over a 3-week period. if you’re feeling a bit stiff or sore from today’s 5K, don’t worry it’s part of the process. Just take it easy for the next few days, focus on building your endurance base for the next 10 days before reintroducing speed work.I went for a run this morning again. I stopped for a few weeks due to being ill for almost 2 weeks and after a race on the 1st of May I hurt my leg/knee. So I suspected that I was going to do horrible as I was out of it for a while yet I ran a 26 minute 5km that is 1 minute slower than my PB and it felt absolutely great. Didn't feel like I was pushing hard or anything and heart rate stayed quite consistent.
Does a break from running sometimes help improve performance? I am planning on also incorporating more longer runs instead of focusing on speed, really motivated to complete a Marathon this year and would be great if I can do it Sub 4:30
Also @8letters Do you know when Puma holds that sales normally, I am on the lookout for a new pair or 2 of shoes. You and Crusader both seem to like the Puma shoes and I want to give them a shot.
Puma often runs winter sales, typically around late June to July, which is a great time to pick up some new gear.I went for a run this morning again. I stopped for a few weeks due to being ill for almost 2 weeks and after a race on the 1st of May I hurt my leg/knee. So I suspected that I was going to do horrible as I was out of it for a while yet I ran a 26 minute 5km that is 1 minute slower than my PB and it felt absolutely great. Didn't feel like I was pushing hard or anything and heart rate stayed quite consistent.
Does a break from running sometimes help improve performance? I am planning on also incorporating more longer runs instead of focusing on speed, really motivated to complete a Marathon this year and would be great if I can do it Sub 4:30
Also @8letters Do you know when Puma holds that sales normally, I am on the lookout for a new pair or 2 of shoes. You and Crusader both seem to like the Puma shoes and I want to give them a shot.
I went for a run this morning again. I stopped for a few weeks due to being ill for almost 2 weeks and after a race on the 1st of May I hurt my leg/knee. So I suspected that I was going to do horrible as I was out of it for a while yet I ran a 26 minute 5km that is 1 minute slower than my PB and it felt absolutely great. Didn't feel like I was pushing hard or anything and heart rate stayed quite consistent.
Does a break from running sometimes help improve performance? I am planning on also incorporating more longer runs instead of focusing on speed, really motivated to complete a Marathon this year and would be great if I can do it Sub 4:30
Also @8letters Do you know when Puma holds that sales normally, I am on the lookout for a new pair or 2 of shoes. You and Crusader both seem to like the Puma shoes and I want to give them a shot.
Fatigue vs Freshness, plus there's a thing called Runner's High.Does a break from running sometimes help improve performance? I am planning on also incorporating more longer runs instead of focusing on speed, really motivated to complete a Marathon this year and would be great if I can do it Sub 4:30
That is quite tempting, might maybe get one pair on Takealot and then wait for the Puma sale.Takealot have a few of the Puma shoes on sale (App only). Works out at around 22% off. Not as good as a Puma sale, but better than nothing if you can't wait.
I feel you. It is nice to have a nice shoe rotation. I went a tad overboard with mine... 17 pairs and counting.That is quite tempting, might maybe get one pair on Takealot and then wait for the Puma sale.
I was thinking about getting the Velocity Nitro, Deviate Nitro and the Foreverrun 2 so that I have a decent collection of shoes that should last quite long and would be nice to have shoes for different scenarios like speedwork etc...
Running is starting to become an expensive hobby![]()
Way cheaper than cycling.That is quite tempting, might maybe get one pair on Takealot and then wait for the Puma sale.
I was thinking about getting the Velocity Nitro, Deviate Nitro and the Foreverrun 2 so that I have a decent collection of shoes that should last quite long and would be nice to have shoes for different scenarios like speedwork etc...
Running is starting to become an expensive hobby![]()
+1 For the foreverrun 2.I feel you. It is nice to have a nice shoe rotation. I went a tad overboard with mine... 17 pairs and counting.
If you can only go for one I'd definitely suggest getting the Foreverrun 2. It's the pair I gravitate to the most often now. If you can use a R250 off Takealot code the price is about the same as when it was on 30% off sale at Puma.
Depending on how fast you are. For a slow poke like me the ForeverRun 2 does tempos and thresholds too. But then again I max out at 4:40 (ish) pace on those...+1 For the foreverrun 2.
The velocity works well for me but might not for you. The shoe only softens after about 100- 150km. I can put it through it's paces. as an alternative to your shoe rotation above I would suggest for a daily runner to only buy either the velocity or ForeverRun 2. For a recovery shoe(days after a hard session) consider the magmax. For your typical v02max, tempo's , threshold etc consider the deviate nitro 3(not the elite)
4:40 per kilometer is still a solid pace. The ForeverRun and Velocity definitely make you work a bit harder, but they’re great for threshold and tempo runs. Switching back to the Deviates after running in them feels like a breeze. I usually push my Velocity pace down to around 3:30/km.Depending on how fast you are. For a slow poke like me the ForeverRun 2 does tempos and thresholds too. But then again I max out at 4:40 (ish) pace on those...
Did you guys see the new Huawei 5 next gen watch ? Looks like a beast and might be a good alternative to garmin. the battery life also seems decent.Fancy! I'm still rocking my 45![]()
For some reason I think I will stick with garmin probably because in my mind they will be more accurate. I am probably wrong.Did you guys see the new Huawei 5 next gen watch ? Looks like a beast and might be a good alternative to garmin. the battery life also seems decent.
They basically the sameFancy! I'm still rocking my 45![]()
This is a lot of money for questionably useful new features. I've looked at the reviews and am not convinced these offer much value over the older models.![]()
Garmin
Delivering innovative GPS-enabled technology across diverse markets, including sports and fitness, outdoor recreation, marine, automotive, and aviation.www.garmin.com
NEw 970 and 570 Forerunner droped
Fkn pitbulls and the people who keep them drive me nuts.What an absolute disaster this morning. Someone's pitbull were running around in town. Got chased down a street with my two dogs at a ridiculous pace but the pitbull sadly caught up and latched onto my bordercollie's leg. He would not let it go. Eventually someone pulled over to assist and put the pitbull into a headlock position and choking it until it passed out. The same person gave me a lift to my house and I had to rush my dog to the vet. Massive bill incoming. If they are able to save the leg....
This is the second time this has happened. Both incidents were pitbulls. My dog's leg is being amputated. I'm devastated.Fkn pitbulls and the people who keep them drive me nuts.
"ITs NoT thE dOG it'S the OWner": Yeah well, then 95% of the owners seem to be violent and retarded.